French Silver

cavtrooper

Apr 5, 2005
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
I had a couple of minutes the other day so I went to where I had found the GW Inaugural button last year. The area is just polluted with iron and it takes a lot of patience to weed through the signals to dig the good stuff (few and far between). I had detected for about an hour without any luck and it was getting kind of dark so I headed back to the house and got this great signal. Even in the fading light, I could see it was a huge silver. I didn't know what I had until I got it back to the house and started to wash off the dirt. The coin is about the size of a U.S. silver dollar. It is a 1793 six livre. This particular coin was only made for one year because of the French Revolution. The year prior, had the image of the king, the year after, the french went to the franc so it is pretty rare. The condition of my coin is not the best, but all of the detail is there. It is just very badly stained as you can see from the pictures. (Tried photoshop and still couldn't bring out the detail.) I tried the peroxide treatment and I tried the hot water, baking soda, and aluminum foil but this was the best I could get. Any other suggestions on cleaning would be greatly appreciated.

20150807_142813.jpg20150807_142734.jpg

I have also posted picks of one I found on the internet so you can see what it really looks like.
six livre front.jpgsix livre back.jpg
Thanks for looking.

Upvote 18
Congratz!!! That is awesome!

That's a neat coin. After some years have passed and you have found all of the usual stuff like what pennies and war nickels, that French coin will still stand out in your collection.

That's a great find! A silver coin that old, that big, and that rare is certainly Banner worthy in my opinion! I will put my vote in! Sounds like you are making some great finds. It'd be interesting to know what state/region you are in if you care to share.

Congrats on that Sweet french coin. :occasion14: Your's is older than the one I found. Pulled an 1812 5 Francs coin almost 2 months ago.

20150614_134713.jpg

You can easily download a camera app that lets you take macro shots, or I've heard a single small drop of water on the lense of a camera phone will allow close up shots. I would say you could try light electrolysis, but I'd like to see the detail of the coin first. If it's really rare I wouldn't do anything to it.

That is a really great find!

Rare find, surprised its not had more interest for an 18th C find!

Great digs there! 1793 was a crazy year. Congrats on a coin rarely seen!

Steve

Nice going on the old silver. Not sure of what you could use on the coin for cleaning as you've tried a few things already, maybe try a little lemon juice?

Very Very Nice!!!! Congrats on a Banner find........

20150808_085526.jpg20150808_085553.jpg
Found the exact coin last fall in Eastern Mass. 1793 A with a bit more detail than the one you dug. I think the mintage was about 250 K, rare. The angel is referred to as the engineer. Nice find .

Two Silver Dollar sized coins minted in 1793 from the French Revolution not your everyday finds ,where they found in the same area of the U.S.?
I had a couple of minutes the other day so I went to where I had found the GW Inaugural button last year. The area is just polluted with iron and it takes a lot of patience to weed through the signals to dig the good stuff (few and far between). I had detected for about an hour without any luck and it was getting kind of dark so I headed back to the house and got this great signal. Even in the fading light, I could see it was a huge silver. I didn't know what I had until I got it back to the house and started to wash off the dirt. The coin is about the size of a U.S. silver dollar. It is a 1793 six livre. This particular coin was only made for one year because of the French Revolution. The year prior, had the image of the king, the year after, the french went to the franc so it is pretty rare. The condition of my coin is not the best, but all of the detail is there. It is just very badly stained as you can see from the pictures. (Tried photoshop and still couldn't bring out the detail.) I tried the peroxide treatment and I tried the hot water, baking soda, and aluminum foil but this was the best I could get. Any other suggestions on cleaning would be greatly appreciated.

View attachment 1196614View attachment 1196615

I have also posted picks of one I found on the internet so you can see what it really looks like.
View attachment 1196616View attachment 1196617
Thanks for looking.

Yes what was the gps coordinates on the site? I'll do some research for you.��

I don't have the GPS coordinates, but I am located in South Central PA near Gettysburg.

I also found an 1844 Canadian bank token in the same location. So, I am thinking that one of the former residents may have been from Canada. Possibly French Canadian and this may have been a good luck piece.

That is a great find! Better get back out there and hit it hard again!!! Congrats on a great and scarce coin. :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back