127.8 KB · Views: 357

FamilyFun2010

Apr 16, 2010
Morehead, Ky
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter, Whites Spectrum XLT, Whites TRX pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am on the FD here in Morehead, I was on one of the first engines to get to West Liberty right after it happened. I didnt know Frenchburg got hit until the next day. When we rolled into West Liberty, I could smell the dirt from Iraq. Truely one of the most disturbing things I've seen. Glad you're ok.

OP
OP

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
I've always thought that I had a plan for tornadoes until seeing the destruction up close, yes, very disturbing. I go to great lengths to protect my two sons from life's harm but I feel so completely helpless after being so close. If we had been outside playing as we usually do on nice days, we would have been a long way from shelter and I have no doubt that we would have died a violent death.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1320, with something of that magnitude, I don't think you'd even feel it. It would probably be over before you knew what happened. Violent yes, but I would think painless and quick too. What is truly amazing is that you reported no loss of life and that's what counts at the end of the day. Material things can be replaced at some point, life can't...

S

stefen

When I was around 10 years old or so, my brother and I was in a field south of our home flying a kite...

Suddenly, within minutes, it went from a bright sunny day to almost night-like...and from a light breeze to a full blown wind storm...

We beat a trail to the back door and went to the basement...

A tornado came within a mile or so and we were on the receiving fringes of its wrath...

Lost some corregated roofing and a gained piles of dust and debris...but no real damage...

Not something I ever wanted to experience again...

Several years later we sold the dairy and moved to Dairy Valley, California...

However, about 5 years ago I woke up one morning and found that we had lost the entire roof to what is called a micro-burst (which is a tornado thats forms on the ocean and comes inland)...Now thats too close....

Don't wish these types of natural disasters on anybody...

OP
OP

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
There is some surveillance footage from a home that took a direct hit (West Liberty), at the start of the footage you can see a nice sunny sky, 30 seconds later it's over, carnage everywhere. One may not have had enough time to seek shelter if they were in the front yard.....

Last edited:

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Yesterday was the 33rd anniversary of a tornado I survived in Wichita Falls, TX. April 10th 1979, it was an EF4. I was 10 and we barely made it to shelter. When we came out, everything was gone! It scarred me, I had nightmares for years, and I still think about it frequently. I still don't sleep when there is a mention of tornadoes in the weather report. If there is even a chance, I am up watching and waiting. You'd think that would go away after 30 years, but I still won't go to sleep even in a tornado watch.

Attachments

• tornado.jpg
    tornado.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 1,338

CalebRoutt

Feb 3, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A microburst is straight line winds. They dont rotate and are not tornadoes or waterspouts.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread