Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett AT Pro
Gold Bug II
Minelab GPX 4800
Garrett GTAx750
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I detected today in a local lake with a clay bottom. Unlike sand that flows out the holes in the scoop, the clay just clumped together regardless of all the shaking or draining or anything else. After picking up 15 lbs of clay in each scoop for 4 hours, my arms were dead. Does anyone have any secrets to hunting in a lake with a clay bottom? Maybe a secondary floating filter screen to dump the scoop into? Any ideas? Many thanks!!

Upvote 1

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it is clay the jewelry is not going to sink below the surface much if any, you dont want to be scooping buckets of it, instead scrape surface with scoop.

You can make floating screen with pvc, pool noodle and wire mesh.

20210211_185332.jpg.fe6f0f299d8d2e2b2f6da82d2c328505.jpg

Last edited:

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I hate hard packed bottoms. Even with a sifter it is a real pain...

Also hard pack spots can get cleaned out fairly fast if it gets hammered good. Sandy bottoms .... at least there is a chance of the treasure sinking
or if there is a good current buried.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hate hard packed bottoms. Even with a sifter it is a real pain...

Also hard pack spots can get cleaned out fairly fast if it gets hammered good. Sandy bottoms .... at least there is a chance of the treasure sinking
or if there is a good current buried.

Pennies are the worst......just seem to suck themselves to the clay surface. lol

The Urban Prospector

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Wherever I am.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado,
Garrett AT Pro,
Minelab Excal II,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Nokta Legend,
Garrett Pro Pointer,
Garrett Pro Pointer AT,
Human eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
Just remember that if you are digging through the clay layer that you are wasting your time and your back.Your item is going to sit on top of that layer. Pinpoint your target first and try "scraping" the surface.

rc2125

Feb 15, 2010
Indiana/Michigan border
Detector(s) used
~ XP Deus II & Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hunt hard clay bottoms somewhat often. When it's deep enough to just utilize a pinointer and grab targets that way, that's the best option. When too deep to reach via pinpointer, a scoop with round nose is best. Pointed scoop tip is a pita on clay bottoms. Yes you can tilt pointed scoop at an angle sideways so a flat part skims the clay, but its a hassle still to be accurate. Usually have a floating sifter too.

firefighter7

Tenderfoot
Aug 7, 2011
Texas
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
All the lakes here in central Texas are the same way. I only detect waist level and lean down with my pinpointer and either dig with my gloved hand or small shovel. Its pretty taxing on your knees.

Terry In Florida

Mar 3, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was just reading this and saw the posts about nothing being lower than the clay surface but my question would be, what about old stuff, say 1700-1800 era? Does more clay build up over time and if so, does older stuff get stuck into the layers deeper than the surface?

Just trying to understand the evolution of clay over a couple of hundred years, lol...

Interesting topic...

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was just reading this and saw the posts about nothing being lower than the clay surface but my question would be, what about old stuff, say 1700-1800 era? Does more clay build up over time and if so, does older stuff get stuck into the layers deeper than the surface?

Just trying to understand the evolution of clay over a couple of hundred years, lol...

Interesting topic...
Interesting indeed,thought provoking even!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread