Friday the 13th is my lucky day! (Gold Ten Dollar Coin)

J

Jon Hill

Hi,

I dont often post on here as I detect in the UK but I thought you might like to see my first ever gold find. Found today in North Somerset UK.

I went searching around an 11th century Manor today, when I got there the owner wanted me to have a look on a piece of ground for a tag from his dogs collar he had lost a few days ago. Normally I wouldn't have paid the ground a second glance, full of foil and crisp packets. Anway I set to work, soon enough I thought I had located the tag, blimey I thought that's a bit posh for a dog I wiped the dirt off and I was holding what you see below in my hand a whopping 27mm across!, I'm still buzzing, my first ever gold on Friday the 13th!

Can tell me more about the coin?

Cheers,

Jon

Attachments

• Gold-Ten-Dollar-Web.jpg
    Gold-Ten-Dollar-Web.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 767
Upvote 2
Z

ZumbroKid

Just over 2 million produced, your was made into a jewerly piece. Some would say that devalued it. Most would say they would love to have found it. Nice find!

Gabbit

Aug 4, 2005
Idaho
Wow -- fantastic find -- worth about $350.00

Mintage:
Circulation strikes: 1,840,840
Proofs: 55

Designer: Christian Gobrecht

Diameter: ?26.8 millimeters

Metal content:
Gold - 90%
Other - 10%

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find! Tsgman

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Blimey!!! love hearing that word , might have to start using it myself... ;D
Fantastic find, WTG!!!
Good luck, & Happy hunting!

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go....Nice gold piece ....on the 13th...I hav'nt had that knid of luck today...I recieved an e-mail from Verizon and they told me that my DSL I signed up for on Dec 10th will not be turned on this monday the 16th and the new date is Febuary 13 . Another month....This *&%&@# stinks. This is the forth time this has happened since I signed up.... anyway it 's a great find so go back for more!!!!!Finding one is hard enough..

Seeker

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jon Hill said:
Hi,

I don't often post on here as I detect in the UK but I thought you might like to see my first ever gold find.? Found today in North Somerset UK.

Just because you live in the UK shouldn't keep you from posting on this forum. I for one would love to see the stuff you find there.
A US 10 dollar gold coin is about as good as it gets. A friend of mine went to the UK on a tour with other detector enthusiasts.
The first coin he found was a US 1851 large cent.
Congratulations on the find of a lifetime!

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Awesome gold coin. They are hard to find here in the u.s let alone your parts of the world. It's one I would like to find one day here. A good jewler could take that out of that bezel without damaging it. But I would put it on a thick rope and wear it. It cost a good buck to have a nice bezel like that put on there by a jewler. Might cost 150.00 to 200.00 u.s dollars. I would say the coin is worth between 265.00 and 285.00 06 redbook list it in ef at 265.00 and au50 at 285.00. But gold has been on the rise also. There were roughly 2.4 million minted.

Great find and congrats on the gold.

HH Jeremy

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:o Amazing coin!!!!!!!!!! Congrats! :o

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a beautiful find!!!

Congrats Jon!!!

;)

spotz

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2005
Stanfield, Oregon
HI John,
I think it's a really terrible & disgusting coin & you should get rid of it immediately. Just send it to me by parcel post & I'll be happy to dispose of it for you. Ha Ha!

It's a fabilous find. Congrats.
Spotz

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
?That's amazing you found that "across the pond",WTG....sure scruffy didn't go to the neighbor's and get into his collection?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread