What's new

From this past week

watercolor

Silver Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2007
Messages
4,116
Reaction score
1,352
Golden Thread
0
Location
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, Neil got me motivated to clean up some stuff from this past week so as long
as I was rained in, I figured now's as good of a time as any to post a few finds.

(Just keep in mind that beauty is in the eye of the beholder :love10: )

I'm sure we've all found a few axe heads during our hunts and most likely either
tried GIVING them to another hunter (and let them carry the weight ::)) or just
ended up pitching them in one of the trash cans by the car at the end of the hunt.
However, this one I couldn't pass up. It just looked. . . cute. . . in an "older" sort of way.
(Plus, it wasn't too heavy to carry around).

And next to the axe head is something else that I'm sure we've all dug but
probably never taken the time to unfold. The aluminum toppers for all those
broken, "wide-mouth" milk bottles we always see scattered in the woods.
Anyway, here's what a Borden's "Grade A" Irradiated and Pasteurized Vitamin D
Milk topper looks like unfolded. And it has to be sold before Noon on Thursday.

DSC_0443.webp

The most rewarding thing I found this past week was a "flattened" oval-shaped
penny from the "Century of Progress" held in Chicago in 1933. It's in rough
shape but it's been something on my wish list for a long time.

In addition to the 1956 Rabies Tag, a 1917 Merc and a 1923 Wheat, is
an enameled pin (military?) with the motto "Up and at 'em" at the bottom.
Has anyone seen one like this?

That's it. . . thanks for looking!

DSC_0444.webp
 
Nice axe Mark! Very old I'm guessing. Much better than that huge behemoth you found out near the incinerator/enigma in the woods. You know, the one you wanted someone else to carry out! (Like me or Mayo)

Anyhow, leave it to you to actually recover and ID that milk foil, I think that is awesome too!

Pending the weather, I'm going to spend this morning over at the equine trails woods and hit one of the distant farmsites for a couple hours. That is if I can make it there w/o getting misdirected and lost as usual..... It's just so easy to get redirected by something as simple as a piece of glass or a birdsong.

But eh, it's the 21st century, they can find my moulting husk in days, these days....
 
Mark, one of the perks about hunting with you is that you truly appreciate all the relics I find! More than I do. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I am a coin guy. BUT, those relics are pretty cool, and of course I'd never pass up Native American artifacts!

Nice finds!

Joe
 
Nice job on the silver....
Cool milk cap...now go find the bottle....
 
Great finds, Mark!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Funny how that Merc thought that hiding behind a booze bottle cap would save it from you! ;D

I wish I'd found that '56 dog tag! :)

I think "Up and at 'em". is the motto of an air pursuit group. The question is, which one and how old is it? Great find!!! :thumbsup:
 
Great finds Mark. Like Joe said, your appreciate for all relics, as well as coins, is certainly a perk of hunting with you! Finding the foil top to one of those milk bottles is probably a rarer find than an intact bottle itself. Way to go!
 
Cool relics Mark! Congrats on the wilver too... oh no, there I've gone and said it. 6 more months of hearing it from everyone while we are cooped up this winter.
 
I guess I never paid attention to it or never saw it before but I find it interesting that a rabies tag for dogs would be part of the Dept. of Agriculture. Is it that way still?

And speaking of stills, THAT'S what I think that incinerator out in the middle of nowheresville really was. I think it was part of a huge still and that would explain the zillion bottle caps I found around it.
Now if we could just find the burried cache of booze...
 
Nice finds Mark! I'd love to dig any item from a Chicago fair.
WTG! :thumbsup:
 
GREAT FINDS MARK!!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom