Frying pan? and other unknown

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro / Whites Prism II
These were both found at a site where there has been activity since the beginning of the country. There was a civil war encampment in the area but I cannnot say for sure it was exactly on this spot. I did find a "tent rope tightener" on the same location, but there are reenacments here quite often and it may be a replica.

The flat thing looks like a frying pan to me, but without edges seems impractical. The handle does cure up 2 inches toward the end.

The other thing has 2 big square openings and what looks like two small dime size holes on either end.

Just thought I'd throw these out here before I throw them out :)

Attachments

• Unknown 002.jpg
    Unknown 002.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 715
OP
OP
BobinSouthVA

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
Zesty Elf Dude said:
Mirror handle?

Edge of a wagon seat?

Mirror handle did come to mind, but not for a dainty lady. the thing is pretty darn heavy.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
BobinSouthVA

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
willie d said:
Any chance they are railroad pieces?

not that I would think unless they were brought to the area. there was never a railroad in this location.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
BobinSouthVA

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
Diggerbarns said:
That square item looks to be a step of some type.Possibly a step on a wooden coach

Interesting idea. Would certainly be cool if that were it. Ill have to do some googling for pics.

thanks for the lead.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
BobinSouthVA

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
mrs.oroblanco said:
You might want to try to clean it, if possible - so you can see what's underneath.

B
Yeah I think I'll give that a try. I have a large fish tank taking up space that I will probably convert into an electrolysis vat. These are the only interesting pieces of iron I have found an may be worth the time. I'll post some more pics if I get them cleaned up.

Upvote 0

acedigger

Aug 20, 2007
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Nox 600, Ace 250
I'm going with a flue damper. The pic I have is a modern one but is similar. The other piece could be some sort of brace for the potbelly stove.

Attachments

• h8340001.gif
    h8340001.gif
    11.9 KB · Views: 410
Upvote 0
OP
OP
BobinSouthVA

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
So I got around to cleaning this thing up a bit after a good soaking. Yep there be holes there. 8 of them. When I got down to where the holes were the dirt was pretty soft and fell right out. I believe there are no other holes as the rest of the circular surface is pretty solid.

EDIT: sorry I'll try to get the pic up asap. Keep getting an error message that the upload folder is full...

Upvote 0
OP
OP
BobinSouthVA

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
Heres the Picture for your viewing pleasure ;)

Attachments

• holes.jpg
    holes.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 343
Upvote 0

Aufinder01

Jan 13, 2006
Frying pan shape? With a Smile on my face, Its a step from a horse drawn carrige, much like a running board on a truck.

The other looks like one side of a stand for a fireplace grill.

Aufinder01

Upvote 0
OP
OP
BobinSouthVA

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
Aufinder01 said:
Frying pan shape? With a Smile on my face, Its a step from a horse drawn carrige, much like a running board on a truck.

The other looks like one side of a stand for a fireplace grill.

Aufinder01

thats a neat idea. but I believe it is much to thin for that. its probably less than a quarter inch thick and would probably easily bend if stepped upon.

Upvote 0

bradyboy

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2007
Clearwater, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have to agree, old fireplace flu turn valve
If you close down the valve damper, it would still allow a small amount of smoke to escape thru the pipe stack for ventilation, to keep the room from filling with smoke / back draft
BRADY

Upvote 0

oldplacesnofinds

May 8, 2007
Bucks County , PA
Detector(s) used
Whites Quantum II Whites Spectrum
It looks now like an old stovetop to a wood stove. I wonder if the handle is rusted to it or it is suppose to be one piece. The stove tops were able to be lifted off the stove.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread