hunting deer

Jul 21, 2010
Indiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got out today to one of my fav sites. Its like detecting on a sand dune. It changes every year as the sand shifts. Last week I found an apothecary weight. A first for me. I have been expecting to find something old from this site for quite awhile, I'll admit. I had no idea what a Fugio was till today. The sandy soil has been very kind to these coins Thankfully. I would really like to use a screen there, but I don't know if the landowner would allow me to as it's a field. I know these come in many varieties and some restrikes. I honestly don't know for sure what I have. I don't rub coins so I didn't know what it was till I got home. I actually packed it in some moist sand till I got home so it wouldn't dry out. I found the 1851 Large Cent after the Fugio. The fresh out of the dirt pic is when I arrived home and took it out to see what it was. Hope you enjoy the pics. 49508113098_41e11dcdca_o.jpg 49508095258_339469a1b6_o.jpg 49508104188_c104c45e0e_o.jpg 49508615366_8f693fa815_o.jpg 49508624326_4ba8d41edc_o.jpg

Upvote 44

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Wow! Where is the love for this post? That's the most beautiful Fugio cent I've ever seen! Major congrats. Dare I say this would look nice on the banner? Keep up the good work!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice coppers. I'm sure Fugios don't turn up very often in Indiana, in fact you may be the only one that has ever found one in there. Plus it's a real beauty. Way to go :thumbsup:

Jose The Goon

Apr 1, 2017
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000D, 6000Di, Eagle, & PI 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on 2 great coins !! The contrast of the 2 coppers is amazing. Something in the soil definitely caused the Fugio to
stay in such great condition, or it was in some kind of protective "vessel" for many years until that vessel was disturbed many years later.
I would give that general area a thorough going over keeping that in mind. GREAT finds !! Cheers !! J.T.G.

Jose The Goon

Apr 1, 2017
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow! Where is the love for this post? That's the most beautiful Fugio cent I've ever seen! Major congrats. Dare I say this would look nice on the banner? Keep up the good work!

I agree with you. That Fugio is fantastic. Odd though that the Last 7 in 1787 is gone.

OP
OP
hunting deer

hunting deer

Jul 21, 2010
Indiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know it's crazy! Everything comes out of the ground looking good there. It's a small field and mostly sand. I don't think it's ever had a lot or any farming chemicals sprayed on or added to it. The iron items are also in a good state of preservation.

OP
OP
hunting deer

hunting deer

Jul 21, 2010
Indiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice coppers. I'm sure Fugios don't turn up very often in Indiana, in fact you may be the only one that has ever found one in there. Plus it's a real beauty. Way to go :thumbsup:
Thanks

Jose The Goon

Apr 1, 2017
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Agreed. I thought maybe someone was trying to hole it.

Yes, it does look like someone tried to hole it. And, the "dimple" is on both sides. Great coin. Great find. Great little "sand dune" you've got there.
Find more !!!

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Fugio remains unchecked on a lot of our bucket lists.. mine included, and yours is probably the nicest dug example I’ve seen on here. Yes, you are lucky to have those sandy fields to hunt, I would definitely take full advantage of that and dig, dig, dig! Congrats on finding these beautiful coppers... Ddf.

OP
OP
hunting deer

hunting deer

Jul 21, 2010
Indiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Fugio remains unchecked on a lot of our bucket lists.. mine included, and yours is probably the nicest dug example I’ve seen on here. Yes, you are lucky to have those sandy fields to hunt, I would definitely take full advantage of that and dig, dig, dig! Congrats on finding these beautiful coppers... Ddf.
Thankyou! I live in the Walbash valley. There was a lot of river trade in years past.

OP
OP
hunting deer

hunting deer

Jul 21, 2010
Indiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, it does look like someone tried to hole it. And, the "dimple" is on both sides. Great coin. Great find. Great little "sand dune" you've got there.
Find more !!!
Thanks! I'll try.

gold panner

May 22, 2016
vermont
Detector(s) used
fisher gold bug
at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great coin even better to pull one in Indiana! im in Vermont and it still eludes me in fact I have never personally seen one dug. congrats

bologna321

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2017
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Amazing find

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Absolutely amazing coppers- don't know that I've ever seen a Fugio look that nice- Big time Congrats!

OP
OP
hunting deer

hunting deer

Jul 21, 2010
Indiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great coin even better to pull one in Indiana! im in Vermont and it still eludes me in fact I have never personally seen one dug. congrats
Thankyou, I've been trying to keep up with you guys from the far north for years! I most always hunt the oldest sites that I know of. I found this site on my own and have known about it for five years. I had plenty of time to ponder where the best place for me to look would be. I'm thankfull for all my finds, but this one will always be one of my most cherished! All the signs were there. Pewter fragments, colonial pottery shards and black glass fragments. Also a pewter button that looked old enough to be from the Revolutionary war. I actually had my AT Max sensitivity maxed out with my 8.5 by 11 coil. I was in zero mode with the iron discrimination at 38 and nothing else discriminated out. I was running with the iron audio off. (something I just started doing on iron infested sites.) I think the iron audio sometimes just masks any repeatable signals. Not always thou. I usually try it both ways. Digging any and all repeatable signals. I actually think it was sitting vertically in the soil cause it was only just repeatable. I think when I took out the first scoop, which was 8-10 inches down, it fell over flat. Then when I swung back over it, the signal was crystal clear. Thanks for the comment!

Last edited:

Lost Signal

Mar 5, 2019
Lowcountry SC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Garrett 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Besides the considerable historic significance and the scarcity, I love the design of these coins. A true treasure and a work of art! Congratulations!

OP
OP
hunting deer

hunting deer

Jul 21, 2010
Indiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Besides the considerable historic significance and the scarcity, I love the design of these coins. A true treasure and a work of art! Congratulations!
Thankyou! I agree. I knew nothing about them till I found this one. This hobby never stops revealing new surprises. It's actually become a reality check for me with all the confusion that pervades today's society.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread