What's new

Fun game... Date that flat button... And go!!!

relicmagnet

Jr. Member
Joined
Feb 25, 2013
Messages
36
Reaction score
54
Golden Thread
0
Location
Virginia
Detector(s) used
AT Pro DMCIIB and At Pro Pinpointer
Has anyone seen a flat button like this? It's by far the biggest one I have found yet. Also possible date?
 

Attachments

  • image-2980652020.webp
    image-2980652020.webp
    42.8 KB · Views: 629
  • image-1122800562.webp
    image-1122800562.webp
    46.6 KB · Views: 385
  • image-286179229.webp
    image-286179229.webp
    42.1 KB · Views: 484
Def not copper. I'm still saying Tombac

Without a doubt not a Tombac. Attached are Tombac's and the one in this post is not one. The photo on the right contains some pewter types at bottom.
 

Attachments

  • Tombac Buttons.webp
    Tombac Buttons.webp
    75.5 KB · Views: 208
  • tombacs.webp
    tombacs.webp
    233.2 KB · Views: 181
Last edited:
I'll let you two duke it out. I do know however it's old.
 
Don in SJ & Iron Patch, you both are admirable in that I have learned a lot regarding what I know for sure is an old button. Thank you both for your info. Any word on what my button is worth...like the one in this post?
 
Don in SJ & Iron Patch, you both are admirable in that I have learned a lot regarding what I know for sure is an old button. Thank you both for your info. Any word on what my button is worth...like the one in this post?


The plain ones would only be worth a few cents. Designed ones a bit more depending on whether it's a flower or GW, or something else.
 
To whom it may concern the button I have found is in fact a tombac button per really nice old lady at the museum of the confederacy in richmond Virginia.
 
Thanks chucksc for the good info!
 
To whom it may concern the button I have found is in fact a tombac button per really nice old lady at the museum of the confederacy in richmond Virginia.

Don and I between us have 35 years+ hunting Colonial sites so if you want to go with the nice old lady on this one please do. (At some point you'll figure it out)
 
At what point in time does Colonial end? I've heard all the way into the 1830s.
 
Awesome button but really it could be from the French and indian war the revolutionary war but I think it is English button hard to tell do the powder test on the button put a light sprinkle of baby powder on it and see if an image shows up and take a pic and show us that's the only way to really get a good look at the design. but good find man totally awesome.
 
To whom it may concern the button I have found is in fact a tombac button per really nice old lady at the museum of the confederacy in richmond Virginia.

RelicMagnet, I have to agree with Don & Iron Patch. These guys are like the go to guys on said era relics. My brother, NovaTreasure, which is also on Tnet took me to a cornfield the other day in which I found my first Tombac Flat Button which looks nothing like your button. My brother confirmed my find as a Tombac as he also has about 25 years experience.
 
I got a tombac I just found and will post soon. I agree with Ironpatch Tombacs are silvery and shiney or at least that was my understanding either way I love buttons .
 
definitely not a "tombac" type button , a large colonial or post colonial "Dandy" dress button 1770's to about 1790's
 
Id say no later then early 1790's
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom