What's new

G.O.P. elephant item - how old?

Bruce Ct

Jr. Member
Joined
May 7, 2009
Messages
41
Reaction score
18
Golden Thread
0
Location
Southern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE w/ pro coil
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
G.O.P. elephant item - how old?

I found this near an old school house (wooden, one room type).
The flag has GOP on it. On the side of the elephant is the question: "IS THE G.O.P. DEAD?"
and what looks like KIT below that. It's metal with no evidence on the back of ever having
a pin attachment or anything (the back is flat). Any idea on the age?
Bruce in Ct
 

Attachments

  • DSCN0774.webp
    DSCN0774.webp
    41.3 KB · Views: 480
Re: G.O.P. elephant item - how old?

G.O.P is of course a nickname for the Republican political party.
Thus the elephant.
In the 1850's GOP stood for "Gallant Old Party" or "Grand Old Party".
This may be a type of Republican token/pin.
Could be from Hoover's campaign(s) or even Eisenhower's.
Circa 1920's, 1930's or 1950's.
I have seen several elephant pins with GOP from those time frames.

http://www.drexelantiques.com/after6000/6140hooverelephantpina.jpg

:icon_thumright:
It's nice!

PS: Are you sure that's "KIT" and not "NIT" or "WIT".
 
Upvote 0
Re: G.O.P. elephant item - how old?

Bruce Ct said:
I found this near an old school house (wooden, one room type).
The flag has GOP on it. On the side of the elephant is the question: "IS THE G.O.P. DEAD?"
and what looks like KIT below that. It's metal with no evidence on the back of ever having
a pin attachment or anything (the back is flat). Any idea on the age?
Bruce in Ct
Not quite sure which election that this piece goes to. It may be a 1932 item when FDR was first elected, and they kicked the Republicans out of office, but the bottom piece with the stamped word NIT has me stumped. That was a pretty common statement used on many campaign pieces back in the election of 1896 when Democrat William J. Bryan was running against Republican William McKinley. At the time we were on the gold standard for the backing of the country's currency, and Bryan and the Dems. wanted the currency backed by both gold and silver at the rate of 16 parts silver for one part gold. Many of the campaign pieces from that election are stamped N.I.T. (Not In Treasury). I'm not convinced that this piece is that old, as the donkey and the elephant weren't used that much in campaign advertising back then. Up until the mid 1920's, most ballots and campaign advertising used the old symbols for the parties. American Eagle for the Republicans, and the Rooster for the Dems. In some southerns states, those symbols still appear on the ballots. Whatever, it was a nice find.
 
Upvote 0
Re: G.O.P. elephant item - how old?

I see this as a pro-GOP piece. The elephant and the flag look appealing and you would have to look closely to read the words so I don't think a democrat would use it b/c from afar it would appear as pro-GOP.

I think the statement is sarcastic - "Is the GOP Dead? NIT" With "NIT" also carrying an association to the word "NO" as well as the silver/gold issue.
 
Upvote 0
Re: G.O.P. elephant item - how old?

Here's an example from 1896 where "NIT" has a "naa naa naa" meaning. I think it was a slang term at the time-

f445newspaper.jpg
 
Upvote 0
Re: G.O.P. elephant item - how old?

I'm going that this is from the 1896 era. It is a very cool find :icon_thumleft: If I had it I would try to track down a political memorabilia expert to get more info/value.

Here are some other examples of the GOP elephant from that time period-

jpel4n.jpg


1_fcdbc08bf3492ea66cbac18cb5775d61.jpg


MCK205.jpg


062796p0648qc5w.jpg
 
Upvote 0
Re: G.O.P. elephant item - how old?

Bramblefind said:
I see this as a pro-GOP piece. The elephant and the flag look appealing and you would have to look closely to read the words so I don't think a democrat would use it b/c from afar it would appear as pro-GOP.

I think the statement is sarcastic - "Is the GOP Dead? NIT" With "NIT" also carrying an association to the word "NO" as well as the silver/gold issue.

Bramblefind is right on.

NIT
1896 slogan seen on McKinley and Bryan buttons. Collectors still debate its meaning. May mean "No," or may be an acronym for "Not In Trust"

DCMatt
 
Upvote 0
Re: G.O.P. elephant item - how old?

I'm Thinking along your lines Bramblefind. I had guestimated the age as being at least pre-1920's.
Thanks to all for the responses. If anyone can nail it down I'd appreciate it.
(by the way, KIT was a typo on my part -it IS NIT)
Bruce in Ct
 
Upvote 0
Re: G.O.P. elephant item - how old?

NIT was a popular saying for DEMs, as in nitwits.
It also has been noted using "nit" as a word for insignificant/cance.
Seems fitting, asking if the GOP is dead, then NIT.

Here is a GOP elephant pin from the 1960's.
http://www.icollect247.com/itempage.php?uniqueid=21424

Hoover Campaign pin - seems to be same medals (?)
http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/1929-hoover-presidential-campaign-gop-elephant

I'm still thinking 1920's-1950's.

But here is some interesting newspaper reading from 1872. :wink:
http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=VpInAAAAIBAJ&sjid=CgQGAAAAIBAJ&pg=7030,6472762
 
Upvote 0
Re: G.O.P. elephant item - how old?

Bramblefind said:
I'm going that this is from the 1896 era. It is a very cool find :icon_thumleft: If I had it I would try to track down a political memorabilia expert to get more info/value.
Im going with Bramblefind. 1890's.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom