AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Ghost Amphibian Headphones
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ballast stone were generally made of river rock worn smooth by the water, but cut-stone ballast and even ingots of heavy metals were also used as were old cannons and anchors. I think the group here could provide you a good sampling of different types of ballast stones. I will try to do my part later this afternoon.

Red clay bricks were used in the cooking stove located in the galley for several centuries. It is not generally age diagnostic, and often hurricane debris can be confused with shipwreck debris. As a generalization, hurrican debris would be more consistent in color, and shipwreck debris would have more inclusions...generally of a white or lighter colored nature in my experience. Often it is simply not discernable whether a particular clay item is modern or ancient without some destructive and expensive testing. Sharp edges are generally newer pieces while older shipwreck items would have worn and smoothed edges. The white inclusions are a dead give-away in my experience too.

I'll try to post some pics later when I have more time.

Jason

Last edited:
Modern clay tiles just happen to come in size increments of 14,16,18 ect.. 18 inch clay tile is a very common tile used today.

Last edited:
GatorBoy nailed that one, I missed that 18" square part...Brick used in ships stoves was generally shaped and sized similar to a standard builders brick of today, not like a tile. Not to say a ship couldn't be transporting tiles, I have found roof tiles on a wreck before...the 18" dimension gives it away as modern IMHO.

thanks!!

will get some pics posted later!!

Here are a few ballast stones circa 18th. century. Ships often arrived empty, I.E. , "in ballast", and so many stones came to be utilized for various purposes once the ship's cargo had been loaded. These look like natural river rock, of course...because that's what they are. If you are in an area where there is no natural river rock and you come upon stones like these...

And, of course, as SubaFinder pointed out, many other items like cut granite were also used as ballast...it seems like I remember a thread on Tnet about cut granite ballast vs. granite used in seawalls etc.

cobblestone ballast.jpg Chalmers St. in downtown Charleston, SC.

Last edited:
That's the story with ballast.
Some like this one found on a Ais site in Florida even appear to have been used as hammer stones for Flint knapping.
...."help retrieve our goods..and you can keep all the hammer stones you want"
I'm not sure if that was ever said but if beads were working it seems plausible to me.

Having trouble loading photos

Attachments

• stone1.jpeg
    stone1.jpeg
    31 KB · Views: 244
  • attachment-2-1-1.jpg
    attachment-2-1-1.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 845
Does anyone have picture sample of a "Ballast Stone"?

were they just rocks, or dressed / shaped stone?

Also, would an old ship have any sort of kitchen or furnace onboard? I found a red clay "tile" approx. 18" sq and inch thick - my pal says its from a ship???

Hey BVI,

I have been reliably informed ( by someone I trust) that ANY group of stones that look alike regardless of size and shape are almost certainly ballast stones and should be suspected as being such especially if any of them are on top of each other.

Really big stones ( 18 inches or bigger ) are probably not ballast stones but one handed manageable stones would be good culprits for heaving in and out of bilges.

image-1155988250.jpg

I think this is Frank but it could be Gator in front of their pile.......l.

Ok, but you still rock, or when you and "the tool" get your finger out you might?

Do you mean get our' fingers out of the dike...oh wait, now I know what you mean! We ain't going there Kevin but will still get to work on the Volcanic Pipe soon, I promise. I am itching sooo bad to go there and get something done, that you would think I had been rolling in weeds loaded with chiggers.

Frank

Do you mean get our' fingers out of the dike...oh wait, now I know what you mean! We ain't going there Kevin but will still get to work on the Volcanic Pipe soon, I promise. I am itching sooo bad to go there and get something done, that you would think I had been rolling in weeds loaded with chiggers.

Frank

Hey Frank,

Didn't we already deal with the talk is cheap, and the life not being a dress rehearsal bit..........come on man I want to fully retire and having bought stock in yours and BV dufusing I 's ventures I am likely to starve to death the speed the two of you are goingdde0a

IMGP0952.JPGIMGP0951.JPG

found a number of worn down "bricks" and a number of tiles (10 inch square) only one intact as it was buried deep.

any thoughts??

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back