What's new

Games that MAKE you want to play!

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Joined
Aug 10, 2009
Messages
2,966
Reaction score
189
Golden Thread
0
Location
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
Been having a "retro" moment and remembering the years of fun and frustration in the frenzied world of console/PC gaming. My PC gaming career is very limited, PS3 and Xbox took over the last few years, but the PC holds the record for my "greatest ever game".

"Battlefield 1942"

Anyone else ever played it here? It's odd, as it's a "online" game, and i detest online games! I basically die every 13 seconds...if i make it that far at all!
Battlefield was different though. It contained huge maps to run around and hide like a b....h for long enough to actually figure out what the hell was going on. "Spawn camping" was STRICTLY frowned upon (for the most part) and you had enough time to get involved in the game before being innevitably...killed! Lots of teamwork and serious tactical thinking was involved.

What used to grip me and set me up mentally for the game, was the intro movie and intro music. I've never come across another game that could effect me with it's intro the way battlefield did. Made the hair stand up on my neck..and as i just found out...still does! :laughing9:

So...what games "intro" gets you all giddy and makes you WANT to play a game? (Intro or theme music...not "trailers")
Get on youtube...and let me know? :)

Below is the intro movie and music for "Battlefield 1942" - everything you see in the movie could be done in the game. You could drive the ships,tanks,planes and subs..as well as run around doing all the infantry stuff and sneaky sniper thing. (Omaha beach map was chaotic and realistic to a certain extent..as were most maps when i think about it.lol)

 
My online gaming started with Soldier Of Fortune, started playing it as soon as was released. At one time before I quit and moved to Call Of Duty I was ranked #1 in the world on SOF. I left SOF because of the mass amount of cheating, it became so hard to control it, this was before PunkBuster.... We had custom snipe only servers up for SOF, COD, COD II, CODIV and COD5. I have been a moderator on approx 20 online gaming servers, we tolerated no cheating, oe foul language. Our servers are family friendly..... :icon_thumright:

We tolerate no cheating, we had rolling rules that displayed anyone caught cheating would be warned 1 time, 2nd offense banned for 30 days, third offense was ip ban for life....

We are waiting for the next generation now to put up new servers.....
 
Treasure_Hunter, no cheating, or swearing :icon_scratch: That takes a wee bit of the fun out of it.. :tongue3:

I think I'm with Dano, never got into online gaming, a I won't last very long out there. The good thing is that online gaming can really better prepare you for the real world.. Most skills from gaming are transferable to many of the various occupations out there. :thumbsup:


 
Never played that but I did play WoW for a long time.
 
TH- We just never know who we're talking to on here eh? lol. A hardcore "mod", dayum i hated "mod's" lol. Killed one who was on my side by accident once...made my life hell for days! :laughing9:
Actually, i think where the more modern COD's and MOH's are concerned, if the game itself is full of swearing then players should be able to swear too!
Oh..and btw..you should alter your post.
" At one time before I quit and moved to Call Of Duty due to massive cheating I was ranked #1 in the world on SOF"
..it comes across as due to massive cheating you were ranked #1 in the world! :tongue3:
 
I have been watchin my lil boy play black ops. He is a whizz. Can't even try and peak around the corner to snipe him, SPLAT. there goes dad. So I watch him instead. tryin to work the controller is a pain. Cause I dont play. Now gimme the remote in a racecar game, I WIN.
 
Dano Sverige said:
TH- We just never know who we're talking to on here eh? lol. A hardcore "mod", dayum i hated "mod's" lol. Killed one who was on my side by accident once...made my life hell for days! :laughing9:
Actually, i think where the more modern COD's and MOH's are concerned, if the game itself is full of swearing then players should be able to swear too!
Oh..and btw..you should alter your post.
" At one time before I quit and moved to Call Of Duty due to massive cheating I was ranked #1 in the world on SOF"
..it comes across as due to massive cheating you were ranked #1 in the world! :tongue3:

Corrected Dano.......We did not tolerate any cheating, I got to be very good at spotting cheaters using aim bots, as well as many of the other cheats, glowing players, see through walls ect....... There use to be a cheat that made opposing players nose real long, I mean several feet long so players could see them them coming around cornors. Some cheats turned walls to glass so you could see through them. Punk buster took care of a lot of the cheaters, but mods still had to keep an eye on players who would use map flaws to get under the maps and behind the edges of the maps....
 
GAdigger - lmao. Wonderful musical score there. Took me back to the days i spent hours on "F16 combat pilot"....couldn't even get half way through your clip for cringing now! :laughing9:

TH - Yeah punk buster was good on BF42, but as you said, there were still map flaws like "climb onto the barrels next to the hut and jump backwards...you'll be inside the hut and you can fire out but nothing can get in to hit you!" etc. Real pain in the a$$ that one as it was in an airbase with an ammo dump outside the hut. Infinite ammo, sit in there all day with a missile launcher racking up planes and tanks! Meh...hate cheaters.
I see Battlefield 3 is due out in November. Might give the modern version a go and see if i can get obsessed again, lol.
 
That game was back in the 90's, I put hours in on that F-22 :laughing9:
 
"Spin the Bottle".....hands down!! :icon_thumleft:
 

Attachments

  • spinthebottle.webp
    spinthebottle.webp
    11.1 KB · Views: 151
Saturna said:
Were these 'cheats' written in by the programmers ?

Not the game programmers, hackers wrote them and had them running in the background during the game. When PunkBuster came along it was a great help, when it spotted a cheat it flagged the motherboard and banned them, this process stopped them from reentering using a different name and or ip, they then needed a new motherboard.... PunkBuster was always behind on new cheats by a couple weeks, part of a good moderators job was to spot any new cheats and forward it to PunkBuster....

There are websites dedicated to cheats for on-line gaming... I will not give the name or web address of them here, but I would frequent their forums under assumed names to get clues to new cheats so I could spot them, take screen shots, then ban the guilty party and forward the info to PunkBuster.....

I despise people who cheat on online games.........
 
So that's what Paul Stanley looks like without makeup eh Packer? Who'd of thought it? Got a pic of a naked Gene simmons now mate? :laughing9: :tongue3:

Yeah TH, cheats spoil what in all honesty is a fabulous experience for many. I've seen hundreds just give up playing because of cheats. >:(
 
Started out with sof1, moved on to sof2 (held #3 worldwide in ctf (ladder league) for 2 weeks back in the day) and from there
moved to Battlefield series (bf2 is dearly missed in our clan). Played most of the COD series but hated the revamping of old
games being marketed as "new".

We ran more than our fair-share of servers, ran with mega-rules, no-rules, limited rules and finally moved to "our" rules as the
moderating became a full time job with members taking turns kicking the riff-raff. One warning before bans for general azzhatery
and zero tolerance for the cheaters (ever notice how those guys never do it, its always "my brothers uncles sisters cousins mom
was using my PC and must have used a bot"?) .

Today we have slowed way up, maintaining a core group that gets together for a few retro nights (bf2,lfd,cod,rbsv2 etc). We are
planning to run with a BF3 server once the game is released. Miss the old school stuff though, may need to dig out sof2 and a
couple of the goofy mods (big-head mod comes to mind). :coffee2:
 
packerbacker said:
"Spin the Bottle".....hands down!! :icon_thumleft:

My eyes just feel out!
I can't find my eyes!
For God's sake, someone help me find my eyes before that image is deleted! :laughing7:
 
Redneck Rampage. Running through the backwoods of Arkansas with Bubba and Leonard fighting them crazy old coots and aliens.

The chicks with the rapid fire bras were really mean.

redneck-rampage-01.jpg


The chickens on arrows with dynamite strapped to their backs were pretty neat too.

An early first person shooter . . . "Twice the killin and half the brains"

And on every level, once you had solved the puzzle, you had to hit Bubba on the head with a crowbar.
 
We have a game that my son now plays! Deer Avenger 1&2. You are a deer running around farting, and shooting people with tranq darts!

I always preferred the Cabela's Hunting Games!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom