scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 XP Deus Whites V3i
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As I have seen many new members asking about a good starter detector, and many members on here commenting about there Ace 250, I have finally seen one up close and personal, I have to add my two cents. So I am detecting a guys yard when his neighbor comes over and introduces himself and watches me detect for awhile. He then says that he has a detector and invited me to come to his yard that he has hunted to death, he claimed. I went to his yard and started looking around with my V3i, he returns with the trusty 250 in hand. First impression was that it looked cheap, I mean toyish cheap. Then as I am looking he states that all he ever found was beer tabs. I found 10 coins in about 20 minutes, while he found nothing. He got so discouraged that he told me to keep on looking, but he knew he wasn't even in my class. He stayed and watched for a little longer then went back in the house. He even got me permission to hunt his mothers yard next door.

As far as what I could see, he couldn't make heads or tells out of the random bell tones that he was hearing. If I found a signal that I thought was a coin, I would call him over and let him scan it before I dug it. Only about 4 out of ten did he even get a response. Vice versa all of the signals he found, mine showed them as trash or were completely discrimed out as iron. That detector was annoying as hell to listen to. I wouldn't give $50 bucks for one of those much less $250. If you are over the age of 12 you will be doing yourself a disservice buying a 250. Mind you I am not bashing them just to be, I really respect Garrett as a brand, but don't fall for this trap. And if that's all that you can afford get a cheap Tesoro or Whites. Or better yet save your money another year and get a $500 plus machine. If I had started with one of these I can promise you that I would not be detecting today. You get what you pay for.

Ps- I love my Garrett Pro Pointer! Not brand bashing.\
Pss- I found 3 quarters, 3 dimes, 5 wheat, and 9 copper/zincs. Have not got to the backyard yet.

Upvote 0
You guys sure get defensive about your brands! I hear this argument all of the time around here... some guys think Chevy makes the superior trucks...others think Ford. They argue like a broken record, over and over and over again. All pointless arguing aside, they both have their pros and cons. Same as with detectors. No $250 detector is going to be perfect. The Ace 250 is a detector for a beginner. If someone buys one and takes the time to learn it, chances are they will gain and interest in the hobby and upgrade to something better like an AT Pro, E-Track, V3i, etc.

I started out with an Ace 250. Learned how to use it quite well. I found jewelry, lots of cool relics, and silver coins. After 7 months I upgraded and haven't looked back. Sure, the 250 feels like a toy now after using and learning much a more advanced machine. When I can justify the expense, I would like to upgrade again someday, but for now I'm pretty content using my AT Pro.

Once you learn, you upgrade to something better and more capable as you gain experience and your skills progress. If you can master a entry level detector that has limited capability, you'll have no problem picking up a much better machine and mastering it later on.

View attachment 812876
Finally...someone with some common sense...well said Jeremy.

Ya not sure about that dude I use a v3i dont have a college degree I use it just Fine & like it & relic hunting is mostly What I do, I understand ok ur upset people do ny like the ace ok there are people who dont like everything but to call out all WHO use a v3i & etrac dont know What we r doin is a little harsh I didnt say nothing me i could care less What anyone uses as Long as ur out there in feild liking What ur doing pulling things out of the ground period.detector bashing should just stop its bs if u dont like a detector Fine a quick reply no it didnt work for me, done. When we should b trying to just have fun we r all on our phones , on computers bit$hing to each other are we adults now or back on the playground
You took Gleaner serious?...shame on you...hes sitting back LHAO.

I did at first then reread after I hit the sent button is what it is lol

I aint no garrett fan. But I dont bash any machine, the members know that. I can fake bashing, but I dont mean it. I would love that frikin Whites, its some of the best. I like fishers the best. Minelab way too expensive. I thought I would give the atpro a go and wont buy another machine for a good long time because the frikin things aint cheap. I put money into boats and guns and travel and other crap. But I love the atpro I rave about it, almost just to piss Sandman off. I wish they would come out with a ten inch concentric for it. Ace250 does kinda suck though, that aint even bashing. Hey, its an entry level machine, something we experts scoff at. But everybody loves to bash the pro. I really like those threads.

I liked my ace for about 2 months. Just plan and simple I got bored with it. Imo if ur getting into this hobby, spend alil more and u might be happier in the long run.

I aint no garrett fan. But I dont bash any machine, the members know that. I can fake bashing, but I dont mean it. I would love that frikin Whites, its some of the best. I like fishers the best. Minelab way too expensive. I thought I would give the atpro a go and wont buy another machine for a good long time because the frikin things aint cheap. I put money into boats and guns and travel and other crap. But I love the atpro I rave about it, almost just to piss Sandman off. I wish they would come out with a ten inch concentric for it. Ace250 does kinda suck though, that aint even bashing. Hey, its an entry level machine, something we experts scoff at. But everybody loves to bash the pro. I really like those threads.

I think u can get the sef coil for it thats a very good coil im finding that out right now

I liked my ace for about 2 months. Just plan and simple I got bored with it. Imo if ur getting into this hobby, spend alil more and u might be happier in the long run.
Start off with a more expensive machine that you cant figure out and you may find a new hobby...those high end machines are easy to use when you have some basic knowledge...when someone first starts out they need a very simple machine and if they like detecting they can upgrade.

I'm just sayin from experience I wish I woulda bought a higher end model to start, maybe that's just me

Problem with buying to start that hifher end model is this hobby isnt for everyone though I think its great myself others just may not want to put that much in cuz if they decide its not for them yes they can get money back but not all so a lower end isnt so bad to c if u do like the hobby ya know

Problem with buying to start that hifher end model is this hobby isnt for everyone though I think its great myself others just may not want to put that much in cuz if they decide its not for them yes they can get money back but not all so a lower end isnt so bad to c if u do like the hobby ya know

I think if I would have started with the AT Pro I don't know of I would have stuck with it. The simplicitly of the 250 made me scratching my head a lot. After using that for a year or so and watching videos I can't wait to get the Pro......should here here today!

I didn't mean fo get an etrac, there r plenty of mid range detectors that r simple to use that would be better than the ace line.

I think if I would have started with the AT Pro I don't know of I would have stuck with it. The simplicitly of the 250 made me scratching my head a lot. After using that for a year or so and watching videos I can't wait to get the Pro......should here here today!

Well What I was just trying to say with our economy & people wanting more things to do in there spare time if it were me starting over i can justify spendin a couple hundred on a beguinner detector to c if I even like it befor droppin over $500 with that chance I may not like it fortunatly for me i like it alot lol

Well What I was just trying to say with our economy & people wanting more things to do in there spare time if it were me starting over i can justify spendin a couple hundred on a beguinner detector to c if I even like it befor droppin over $500 with that chance I may not like it fortunatly for me i like it alot lol

That was another factor.

I have a friend that just got a 250,and he couldn't figure it out! We went out and I used it for about 1/2 hour. I found 6 pennys (clad) and a dime. I don't like the bell tones.(I never use them on my ATP either) He has since got more time in with his 250 and now he is digging coins. When we traded he used my ATP and was overwhelmed by all the signals (pro zero mode,zero discrimination) so I set it up on standard coin mode,and he found a dime. I started out with a Fisher F2,and found a lot of coins with it. My wife has taken it over now,and is very happy with it,and has found 2 rings with it! Something I still haven't done yet! She also inherited the Fisher F1 pointer,and finds coins with it in the holes she digs!:BangHead: I asked her if she would like to get a better detector,and she said "no thanks,this one is fine". "I'm finding just as much as you are"! Ouch!!!!!::)

Last edited:
For all those baggin on the Ace series, you just don't know how to set em up! First...remove the batteries! Now the machine works perfectly!

For all those baggin on the Ace series, you just don't know how to set em up! First...remove the batteries! Now the machine works perfectly!

Remove and sit in the closet lol

I didn't mean fo get an etrac, there r plenty of mid range detectors that r simple to use that would be better than the ace line.
Bet they are not as simple as the 250.

Lol

The ace series is what it is- easy to use and and inexpensive. I think they would be fine to start with, especially if you are not sure about the hobby.

I mean not to bash BH at all........ I got my son a Pilot. It is very simple! Almost to the point where you'd ask " $130 bucks for this" but it works. The ID and depth indicators are very limited. But he finds dimes galore, like its nobody's business with that thing!

As plain as it is -IT WORKS- and I'm sure for the money, and the features, the Ace line does at least what a Pilot will do, plus a better TID and more depth.

Magnet on a stick? Yeah I'm sure that's why they sold so many. Ace line is ok to start with, or if you're in to this casually.

Bet they are not as simple as the 250.

Either way the ace series is a waste of money that I can't even sell.

Yea just bc its easy isn't always s good thing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back