aurumdigga

Oct 1, 2011
Cumming, Ga.
Detector(s) used
AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
First, has anyone actually used one of these PI detectors?:dontknow:

I mean, Tesoro went PI with their underwater or waterproof detectors. If you have one of those I would be curious about your experiences.

I talked to Bart at Metal Detector For Sale Specializing in Minelab, Garrett, XP, Fisher, Teknetics. | BigBoysHobbies about the Garrett Infinium and he assured me that once I got on land, it would just pick up everything and you couldn't notch out the iron.

Bart was being as honest as he could about it I feel. ..... But.... Bart can't be a pro at every detector that he sells...... I don't think!?

I just wanted some input from somebody that has used this detector for a while or gotten it new to see what they think.

I just think that this PI is the future of metal detecting. No ground balancing necessary..... 96 frequencies on the Infinium....... Underwater with this unit to 200 feet deep. (I mean you have to be brain dead to want to skin dive that deep anyway!) ..... you would need a backhoe to dig some of the depths this detector could go to. (This would be optimal for meteors in my opinion.)

I am sure they will advance to be able to notch out iron in some way automatically and then go back to all metal in some way so I see the future in this type of detector.

I just see so many possible positives with this unit that I was wanting anyone's input on their experiences with PI detectors.

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have used both, and stayed with the Sand Shark. Cheaper, easier to use, just as deep and sensitive, and a better warranty. Both beep on EVERYTHING, and both are way deep. Garrett is coming out with a new PI this Fall. Just a heads up.

OP
OP
aurumdigga

aurumdigga

Oct 1, 2011
Cumming, Ga.
Detector(s) used
AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks Terry, I just felt that I could get a Tesoro that would be equal to my Sovereign as far as multiple frequencies go, but these detectors are underwater units. That is a huge selling point.

I will check out your link Terry, thanks.

OP
OP
aurumdigga

aurumdigga

Oct 1, 2011
Cumming, Ga.
Detector(s) used
AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am about to get an AT Gold because it is waterproof and it is has a gold frequency. Still, I could get a Tesoro if I knew more about it being able to notch out iron. Here in Georgia, the ground is full of iron.

I want to hunt streams and I thought the Tesoro would be great since it had a lifetime warranty. But, I get these negative reactions from people that sell detectors about he Tesoro.

Terry has just told me that the Tesoro is good and cheaper than the Garrett. I am still wondering if I should invest in a PI now or go with the AT Gold VLF. I have two weeks to decide. It is too hot to hunt now and the rain has made accessing some spots almost impossible because of the high water levels.

I mean, is the Tesoro good for gold?...... real good for Gold hunting?

maliaros

Jul 4, 2013
Larnaca
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATP, Garrett EUROACE, Garrett PRO POINTER
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
everywhere except near or in the salt water the ATG its the winner machine.

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
Hang in there and wait.....Garrett has a new detector to be released soon, and it's a PI.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am about to get an AT Gold because it is waterproof and it is has a gold frequency. Still, I could get a Tesoro if I knew more about it being able to notch out iron. Here in Georgia, the ground is full of iron.

I want to hunt streams and I thought the Tesoro would be great since it had a lifetime warranty. But, I get these negative reactions from people that sell detectors about he Tesoro.

Terry has just told me that the Tesoro is good and cheaper than the Garrett. I am still wondering if I should invest in a PI now or go with the AT Gold VLF. I have two weeks to decide. It is too hot to hunt now and the rain has made accessing some spots almost impossible because of the high water levels.

I mean, is the Tesoro good for gold?...... real good for Gold hunting?

Take a look at the FRESHWATER "Tiger Shark," which is excellent for gold and is a VLF (able to discriminate) Tesoro Metal Detectors - Official company web site with metal detector models for treasure hunting land or water.

OP
OP
aurumdigga

aurumdigga

Oct 1, 2011
Cumming, Ga.
Detector(s) used
AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I think I going to hold off till October to buy my At Gold if this NEW Garrett is mega expensive. I may get a great deal on the AT Gold because of this new detector.

The video is vague. I watched it twice. It could be something like a Beta type of detector until they get the kinks out. The At Pro OS was like that in the beginning.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Terry on the use of the Tiger Shark if you want disc of iron. The Sand Shark is a PI an like all PI's they can find tiny pieces of hair pins at deep depths. After digging tiny pieces of iron you wonder why you bought the PI in the first place. I have used most of the PI's made except the Infinium and the Dual Field for diving and wading the shallows of saltwater coasts and they can wear you out digging.

OP
OP
aurumdigga

aurumdigga

Oct 1, 2011
Cumming, Ga.
Detector(s) used
AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks Sandman, that is just what I wanted to hear.

I think that I will have a wait and see about this Garrett PI for a year or so before I change my mind about PI machines needing to progress. Who knows, maybe the new Garrett is that new generation PI machine, but I am not going to do without a detector for that long to observe what is going on with this new Garrett PI.

I am going to stick with my plan and get the At Gold next week. I just sold my detector and now that NEL has coils for the AT series, I know I can get a few more inches with the VLF by using those aftermarket coils. .......Hey, don't tell anybody that you can get three to five more inches with a NEL coil like I found out.

petey1231

Jan 1, 2013
Nel coils ain't that great my dad had one only gave inch deeper nel tornado - big nel is deep just heavy and hard to distinguish separate targets

OP
OP
aurumdigga

aurumdigga

Oct 1, 2011
Cumming, Ga.
Detector(s) used
AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My Fisher coil was worthless compared to the NEL Big coil I had. I gained a few inches and could pinpoint much better. The Fisher coil in mineralized soil is a nightmare.

Mineralized soils is the key to why NEL is preferred by me. It is understood that you only gain a few more inches, but hey, the stabilization issue in mineralized soils is a big deal down south in Georgia. Up North this might not be a problem so the results could differ. But I have to deal with iron in heavy concentrations here. NEL makes this iron issue a non-issue from my experience.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions