GARRETT PRO POINTER ACTING UP

My old lady has taken quite a fancy to my propointer lately. She just doesn't want to give the frikkin thing up. Now I'm thinkin I really dont want it anymore anyway I reckon you know what I'm saying.
..gleaner now this post of yours was a train wreck………. th.jpeg

Last edited:
I found these vids helpful.

hello everybody i have a garrett pro pointer ive owned it for a couple weeks now the last couple times ive taken it out it has acted up beeping by itself and stuff anybody have this problem with it is it maybe minerals on it or something when i wipe it off sometimes it stops

I don't know about the by it self stuff but if it's acting up when in use these vids might help you out.
I didn't know how to stop the mineral problems till I saw this info on these videos.
There are some extra things in there that I just didn't know.
Here is the link. Just 2 or 3 vids.
The link for the vids. I didn't know about how to stop the mineral reaction till I watch these on the garret web sight.
Garrett PRO-POINTER Videos

I have heard of guys putting the Pro Pointer in a zip loc baggie with a few of those silica packs that you get in shoe boxes or other packaging. They are used to absorb moisture and if you have a little moisture build up inside the pin pointer it will tend to act erratic like the OP described. Tric is to leave a little opening in the zip loc bag when you do this and leave it sit overnight.

M ckinney, sometimes they will send a prepaid label - its generally within the first 30 days on a new unit. I'd wait a day and see they email you a label. If not, you can send it priority mail for $10 +-. Wayne

I just sent mine off; $5 and change Priority Mail.

I have heard of guys putting the Pro Pointer in a zip loc baggie with a few of those silica packs that you get in shoe boxes or other packaging. They are used to absorb moisture and if you have a little moisture build up inside the pin pointer it will tend to act erratic like the OP described. Tric is to leave a little opening in the zip loc bag when you do this and leave it sit overnight.

That won't work. For fresh water, just put it on a warm air vent.

For salt water, send it in.

Last edited:
My garret PP was my first (bought it last spring) and love it! Never had any problems with it. I never used any other brands so I have nothing to compare it to

After sifting through all these comments about GPP, I ordered the Vulcan 360. There seems to be way too many negatives on GPP and yet the loyalty is admirable. Based on early reviews and impressions of the Vulcan, the GPP will have a run for dominance...not to mention the new White PP. I'd much rather have a less sensitive but reliable PP without hassles, than dealing with a bevy of constant problems from a more sensitive, when it's not acting up, GPP. Sorry Garrett loyalists.

After sifting through all these comments about GPP, I ordered the Vulcan 360. There seems to be way too many negatives on GPP and yet the loyalty is admirable. Based on early reviews and impressions of the Vulcan, the GPP will have a run for dominance...not to mention the new White PP. I'd much rather have a less sensitive but reliable PP without hassles, than dealing with a bevy of constant problems from a more sensitive, when it's not acting up, GPP. Sorry Garrett loyalists.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the garrett pin pointer its one of the finest on the market but as with ALL machines you will have a few bad apples here and there ....not sure what garrett loyalists your talking about but what I said is fact

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the garrett pin pointer its one of the finest on the market but as with ALL machines you will have a few bad apples here and there ....not sure what garrett loyalists your talking about but what I said is fact
I agree with this guy ^^^^^. I am a Garrett loyalist but that's because they made a machine in my price range that does what it claims and their customer service is the best I've ever delt with of anything I've ever bought in my life period! The pro pointer is a great tool but you can't use it as a hammer or Use it for anything but it's intended purpose. It's a very popular pin pointer so I guess there are going to be people who won't like it. Good luck in this hobby and hope you find a banner.

Heck, I am a Garrett Loyalist too!:laughing7: The fact that there are so many Garrett loyalists speaks volumes about their products and customer service. They have been building great equipment for 50 years. Still the same company today and has never been purchased by someone else or investment company. Because there are soooooo many Pro Pointers have been sold, and some have had issues, you assumed they were inferior. For every broken Pro Pointer, there are about 4,000 that work fine. Not bad odds in my book. Your Vulcan sale price of $179.95 and has no LED light. I hope you are happy with it. Below are some of my past electronic pin-pointers I have used. Some could never be tuned properly, or drift a minutee after tuning. The knobs (I hate knobs....they belong on old TVs) all loosened after a month's use, one wouldn't even work at all in cold weather, and one quit beeping all together.

junkpinponters2.jpg

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back