Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

bigriverjay

Sep 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dell or Salvor6 do you mind if I send you guys a PM? I'm a local, born and raised in englewood/boca area and was curious about the history of a few areas.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A google search on Hudson spit this thread out.

Since this is not that "old" of a thread... I will throw this out there...

Gaspar factually existed.

I say this because I have had proof of this for over 7 years... accidently through research that did not concern Gaspar at all.

I will also say this as well...

I have no desire... or will... to prove it to anyone... nor will/ would I ... here or anywhere just to convince anyone.

But...

I can. :)

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Saying you can and actually proving you can are quite different, my friend.
Tampa Tribune society editor, Mary Louise Dodge, created the Gaspar story in 1904 so Tampa could have its own version of a Marti Gras and local businessmen and developers joined in to promote Tampa through this fabricated legend.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
A few years ago I started a Gaspar/Gasparilla thread on TN with a great deal of documentation:

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/treasure-legends/384086-jose-gaspar-real-pirate.html

I'm always open to new information. But until I see it, I don't believe the yarn.

Gasparilla #2.jpg

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Last edited:

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
... back to Gaspariila, as I stated before, he simply didn't exist. Other pirates, yes.
As far as Juan Gomez, he made up stories for the tourists.
He may have had a small stash he used when needed, but that's about as far as it goes.
It appears that he fell out of his small boat while on his last fishing trip. His body was found tangled in the mangroves. He was reportedly 120 years old...
...and that's the truth!

Harvest

Apr 6, 2008
Daytona Beach, Fl.
Detector(s) used
Whites SL90, Surf PI, Minelab Excalibur 800
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hey all,

It's your TV producer friends again...wondering if anyone believes Jose Gaspar has lost treasure in Florida or other states. Any legend of missing treasure that ties to Gasparilla/Juan Gomez?

Appreciate you all very much

Hi I must confess I am not Harvest, I am Gasparilla in 1825 I disappeared and retired to the East Coast of Florida so therefore if you would like a story or your TV show I will be glad to sell you one let me know

If you believe that cooper crap. I will sell you my story for the last 200 and some years. I am very old

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Hi I must confess I am not Harvest, I am Gasparilla in 1825 I disappeared and retired to the East Coast of Florida so therefore if you would like a story or your TV show I will be glad to sell you one let me know

If you believe that cooper crap. I will sell you my story for the last 200 and some years. I am very old

I can vouch for his age. I'm his twin brother...Juan Gaspar...

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh sheesh... this thread again... heh

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jose Gaspar just cut my lawn... I told ya he existed.

:)

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jose Gaspar just cut my lawn... I told ya he existed.

:)

Ya gotta quit payin' him off in gold doubloons - you'll start a lot of rumors!

Oct 6, 2022
I hate to disagree with my knowledgeable ship wreck salvor friends, but I have done considerable field work in the Charlotte Harbor area, and know first hand that a friend (now deceased), and relative of pirate Juan Gomez, was handed down 7 maps showing the locations of treasure caches that Gomez, had buried along a planned escape route to be used if necessary. My friend, and his son's were able to recover 3 of these caches. The last of which was enough to buy himself a modest home on Marco Island.

Another Treasure hunter friend in Texas, Doc Wood, who followed Spanish maps handed down to him, and recovered 10s of millions of dollars in Spanish land Treasures (verified) told me they recovered a chest of Spanish Silver coins on the Island of Cara Pelu at 23 feet deep. He told me where to the side of the mound, and I found the remains of the coffer dam still there.

From what I have discovered in that area, there is no doubt in my mind there was plenty of Pirate activity in the early 1800's and there appears to be some truth to the stories of a pirate named Jose Gaspar. Dell
I am a ggg grandchild of Juan Gomez could you reach out to me at [email protected]

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions