Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Don't end up on the wrong end of the food chain.

Eat gator first!

Good argument for a carry law.

One of the most common reasons for gators to attack like this is someone feeding the gator. Sad that it happen to a 90 year old lady.

BridgeHunter said:
One of the most common reasons for gators to attack like this is someone feeding the gator. Sad that it happen to a 90 year old lady.
I agree, I don't think she was feeding it, she is a longtime resident of the area (A Florida "cracker") and familiar with such things, but it could have been being fed by someone else down the canal. Once that starts they start to associate humans with food and that's all it takes.

if she lived there then she should have known the "gator" risk --some folks get careless seeing them all the time --big gators often crawl into swamp peoples yards and feast on old duke the dawg or fluffy the cat * as snacks * -- any slow moving - weak , feeble looking critter is "meat" as far as a gator thinks. :help: :o and in a short straight line dash - their much ,much faster than what 99% of folks think.

I was just thinking the other day that I had not heard of a gator attack in a while......hope she pulls through.

She didnt live to be 90 by accident but we all get careless at times. We dont expect a gator to thrust itself out of the canal but it happens. They sit underwater and seem to come out of nowhere.

classic gator attack mode -- sit on the bottom in very shallow water at the waters edge , wait for prey to come to drink -- dash out the water , grabbing prey , drag it in and drowning it ( which is why you NEVER let small children approach the waters edge alone in gator likely areas especially around dark -twilght)----she is very lucky to have survived the attack -- now the big worry is the septic germs from the gator 's bite . --infections from gator bites can be fatal.

I bathed in the canal/culvert all last season because I work in the preserve and was unable to set up my portable shower.. I guess I have just been lucky.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back