What's new

Generator tips

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
Jan 11, 2006
Messages
3,716
Reaction score
1,504
Golden Thread
0
Location
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
Deus II/HF2, Manticore, E-Trac, Excalibur II, V3i, Pro-Find 40, Vibra-Probe 585, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Besides hurricanes, the need for a generator appears to be something of more concern nowadays. The three weeks of no power and then rolling b/o's caused by our last destructive hurricane really, well, sucked big time. A complete switchover system that could power the whole house, ~20K W, would be awesome, but might not be fiscally prudent. If one did acquire such a system, however, would you go with a natural gas line, gasoline or diesel? I would assume propane is an option too, but might not be able to do that here. If not a house system, what kind of mobile generator/setup works best for you?

Getting ready for a wave of coal-plant shutdowns
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...ant-shutdowns/2011/08/19/gIQAzkZ0PJ_blog.html

EPA crackdown...
http://www.jsonline.com/business/128109718.html

Energy prices already on rise...
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-08-18/u-s-july-consumer-price-index-report-text-.html

TX prepares for rolling blackouts...
http://www.star-telegram.com/2011/08/19/3301808/new-epa-rule-could-lead-to-rolling.html

I'm all for a clean environment, but do you think the Chinese worry about this stuff, at least to this degree? I know, they're creating multiple wastelands...
 
Thanks SWR. Going to have to research prices. The electric and gas companies are offering rebates on generator installs right now, like they do every year. No sure if community regs allowed buried tanks; will have to check.
 
Generac NG/LP package. Affordable, Select circuits package for about 4 or 5K

I went with the whole house for about 8 to 9K and everything stays on including A/C.

If your looking for portable get a honda eu1000i with the triple fuel package NG/LP/Gasoline

You can also set the eu1000i in series if you need more power.
 
Thank you Jeep!
 
I just tap into the MH and act very conservative. It has a 4KW Generac LP gen. I look at it this way, I can live on that much power on the road and it's a temporary situation. I always keep the diesel, LP and water filled on the MH. I have spring water and a septic system so I could last quite a while. Frank
 
My boss and I were kickin' this around and he's decided to go with a 45 kw Eaton model EGEN45 natural gas standby generator - $10,500 - he's got a big house. That's a helluva price, though, for that much wattage. Of course, you're going to have to add probably around $5,000 for all the other stuff you'd have to do (slab, electrician, plumber, meter, hard-start kits, etc.)
 
BTW - Great idea Frankn...now, if I only had a MH... :wink:
 
Very true. I've heard some can use multiple fuels - I guess from Jeep's post above. Might be an adaptor for the Eaton...will check.
 
I'm with swr. In disasters they will shut down natural gas lines and you may have a hard time getting propane delivered to you. If it's for emergency use, i.e. a few days to a couple weeks, I would go with diesel. It's a fuel you can transport yourself and you can purchase it in smaller quantities. The propane driver, if they can get to you, will have a minimum they will deliver. If you keep it ready to run, you will have to fire it up once in a while. Also add diesel stabilizer to tank.
 
Hay, Beep, now you have an excuse to buy the MH. A safety back up unit that could be moved if it was going to be to bad!
My motorhome has a 40 GAL. tank mounted below. The diesel Gen. cost a lot more and was heavier so I went with Lp. Diesel is a good fuel I have driven hundreds of miles with year old diesel and noticed no loss of power so from a fuel storage point of view I would go with LP or Diesel. Frank

P.S. Look at it this way, I am going to drive down to Indian River Inlet in DEL. in the MH. That area is known as Coin Beach. I will ride out Irene just like the last storm in perfect comfort thanks to my LP gas generator. Hot coffee sausage and eggs for breakfast, Tuna or peanutbutter and jelly sandwitches for lunch and beef stew and biscuits for supper. The MH is already stocked as always. I don't hide from storms, I challenge them!
James Dean had it right. "Dream as if you will live forever, Live as if you will die today." Why wimp your way thru life? I think on my head stone I will have "It was worth it"
 
External generators are labor intensive; there are maintenance and financial issues, such as having clean and fresh fuel always available, the initial cost of installation, etc.

I was responsible for an external (a large, diesel powered) generator when I was the department head (Building and Grounds) of a "long term care facility," (nursing home) and it was a constant strain on my allocated budget.
It was a pain in the....well, anyway, it was a necessary requirement (State, Local and Federal inspections through testing was required on a scheduled basis) and the system was never used during my tenure.
There was an underground fuel supply which also included frequent EPA inspections.

That being said, if there is life saving apparatus connected, it would be an invaluable addition to procedures and options. Other than that, meh, personally, I can survive without them. It then becomes a consideration of convenience and luxury, and a liability if "moving out and on" becomes necessary.
Of course, the size used would be a determining factor....

Best,
Scott

PS. Wasn't the Professor on Gilligan's Island able to provide power using coconuts? :tongue3:
 
texastee2007 said:
how long will gas store in tanks underground before it starts to go bad? is there a stabilizer that you can add to make it last?

Gas will last longer if kept in large quantities than small quantities.. In fact, they tell you that before you winterize you vehicle, that you fill the tank with gas. But, I will tell you that lawnmowers engines (briggs and strat) are the untimate old gas eater... they run pretty much the most useless gas. as long as it will burn, you can run it. Most of the problems exist, however, with the gumming up of the carbs when gas turns into gum (it turns into gelatine).

I live in rural austin texas, and for some strange reason, at least once a month, my power goes out for anywhere from 5 minutes, to and hour. I've thought of getting a genny just to power various important things like internet access (totally important these days... LOL). BUT, the fridge has a lot of pull on the power while the compressor spins up, so any generator for fridges will have to do at least 20 amps. Most 'simply' gennys that can be had for under 500 do only 10amp surge or under.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom