Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this reference on a site with archives. Read the quote, they did find some underground tunnels but explained it away as probably used by the Chinese. Whether or not he got any true results, the guy must have had a vivid imagination.

In January 1934, Shufelt gave an interview to the Los Angeles Times that caused such a sensation, that it led the Mayor to open a loan for his research. The engineer, however, never managed to find any evidence of this mysterious civilization nor the gold he claimed was hidden in this sort of catacombs, but he did a complete mapping of the underground tunnels of Los Angeles, before the municipality, which had authorized the work, put an end to it. The whole thing disappeared from the news until mysterious tunnels were found in the Los Angels subsoil whose presence, however, was explained by saying that they had been built by the Chinese underworld in the 19th century to hide illegal Chinese workers, smuggled goods and drugs.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't have much confidence in any devices, supposed to aid in dowsing. Dowsing is simple using tools that don't run on electricity or batteries.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

George Warren Shufelt (August 11, 1886 - November 17, 1957) was an American mining engineer who claimed in 1933 to have uncovered ancient tunnels beneath the area of Fort Moore Hill in Los Angeles by using a radio x-ray device of his invention, having scouted the site based on a map owned by his mining partners, Rex I. McCreery and Ray Martin.

• "ANCIENT SHEEPSKIN MAP USED BY GOLD HUNTERS", Los Angeles Times, 4 Mar. 1933, "They hope to strike a tunnel which is shown on the map as having been dug nine feet below the surface and which was once used as a treasure storehouse, Shufelt said. With all the romantic marking of treasure maps, crosses, mysterious symbols and figures, the ancient scroll was consulted from time to time as the workmen bored into the sidewall of the shaft. The radio gold-finding machine invented by Shufelt was brought into requisition later in the day and through its findings an approximate location was set where the tunnel should be found."

Last edited:

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Following an old map with treasure signs/symbols, then end of day bring in his X-ray machine invention to scan shaft walls... why didn't they bring in a dowser using rods?

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Following an old map with treasure signs/symbols, then end of day bring in his X-ray machine invention to scan shaft walls... why didn't they bring in a dowser using rods?
Ever work with L.A. City engineers? If you had you'd know this is true to form......

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ever work with L.A. City engineers? If you had you'd know this is true to form......
Just look at the harbor. One detectorist scanning the walls to see how much of the rebar was left where the walls fell in on several boats vs. a couple million core drilling for cathodic corrosion control. Yup! They came back to the detectorist, but he was out of state. Project was never finished. Moral of the story? Don't tie up to the slips close to the walls if you sail in ANY of the L.A. harbor!

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LA is a complicated city and expensive to live in.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mindboggling adventures! :coffee2:
Biggest headache of LA area is all the traffic (endless freeways lead you nowhere). Always had to keep city street maps with me, then stop to see where I'm at (each time).

Last edited:

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mindboggling adventures! :coffee2:
Biggest headache of LA area is all the traffic (endless freeways lead you nowhere). Always had to keep city street maps with me, then stop to see where I'm at (each time).
Yeah, I had a ten minute window to leave for work. A couple minutes either way meant finding a parking place on the freeway bumping along a few inches at a time. Sure don't miss that!!!

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While I was staying out there for about 6 months, went to pick up at the store, treasure magazine to read. They had published a newspaper clipping this treasure hunter sent. Working the night shift, drove past these vacant lots at night. The treasure story was about a recent find same area. A Chinese person owned property there once and buried 2 chests of gold coins. It was a recent story, guy with a shovel went to a vacant lot to commit suicide. He didn't want others to be burdened with his funeral costs. Digging a grave for himself, shovel hit edge of a chest. Chest was full of gold coins. Now this guy breaks a finger trying to get it open.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions