D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yesterday out of 106 coins dug I only hit 4 trash targets and 3 of them were tabs buried deep.

It was a take of $6.63 in 3 hours.

The more i read about it and the more I learn the different sounds the better it gets. I been hunting a trashy park and yieldiing $5.50 to $9.50 every day in 3 to 4 hour hunts. The beauty of this park is I have only covered 1/3 of it.

I still have some troulbe with nickels and that's where i dug the tabs yesterday.

One question. Will a gold ring show up as a good target with iron audio on or will it sound like trash. I swtich from iron audio off to on when i hit a questionable target in the 50+ range. Usually if it's a tab or bottle cap it will sound like iron or no sound at all

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gold can come in anywhere from foil to zinc penny. I have had them sound like trash and solid as a rock. If your looking for gold you better have a great digger!

markincypress

Apr 6, 2012
cypress texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab CTX3030, Tesoro Tejon and Sand Shark, Fisher F75-ltd, Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nickels can be a challenge but look for VDI numbers that remain constant and don't bounce around. My AT reads nickels around 51 or 52. If I think I am over a nickel and make multiple passes over the target and the VDI changes; bouncing a bit then it's probably trash. If I get consistent 51 or 52 with multiple passes over the target it's gonna be a nickel especially if the depth shows 4 inches or greater. Hunted some residential house demolition sites yesterday and got 6 nickels very easily.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nickels can be a challenge but look for VDI numbers that remain constant and don't bounce around. My AT reads nickels around 51 or 52. If I think I am over a nickel and make multiple passes over the target and the VDI changes; bouncing a bit then it's probably trash. If I get consistent 51 or 52 with multiple passes over the target it's gonna be a nickel especially if the depth shows 4 inches or greater. Hunted some residential house demolition sites yesterday and got 6 nickels very easily.

Those Numbers for Nickels are Spot on...In fact..the Nickels are the ones that i can tell what it is before I dig it. Im still struggling finding gold, and my Silver has been down since last year. But I am impressed with the depths i get. The ONLY thing that really ticks me off, is the damn Steel screw tops...they read so good. Were as the ACE never picked them up.

Dirt.Is.Good.4U

Nov 27, 2012
Nicholasville, KY
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, Garrett AT Pro, White's Prizm III
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I got out with mine this past weekend. Can you share your setup since you were hunting a trashy park and only dug 4 trash targets? Still on the learning curve and found crushed cans, or parts there of, rang in loud and clear at 80 to 82. How can I notch or discriminate the aluminum without missing good targets?

Dwight S

Apr 26, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro & White's TDI & Tesoro Compass uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I got out with mine this past weekend. Can you share your setup since you were hunting a trashy park and only dug 4 trash targets? Still on the learning curve and found crushed cans, or parts there of, rang in loud and clear at 80 to 82. How can I notch or discriminate the aluminum without missing good targets?

You don't discriminate out the aluminum, you learn through experience size, shape and sound.... Only way to learn that is to dig it all. There are tricks like raising the coil to help determine target size. If you raise the coil a few inches above ground and the signal disappears, its probably a coin. If the target remains, its probably large trash. But you really have to get out and swing and dig to learn the hobby.

Dirt.Is.Good.4U

Nov 27, 2012
Nicholasville, KY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for the advice. I'll try that technique the next time I go out.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
N

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your right the nickles are dead on at 52 and sometimes 51. I have plucked $5.25 in nickels in the past 3 weeks.

Does anyone know if gold rings etc give a strong solid signal or does the signal have a crackle along with the tone

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One question. Will a gold ring show up as a good target with iron audio on or will it sound like trash. I swtich from iron audio off to on when i hit a questionable target in the 50+ range. Usually if it's a tab or bottle cap it will sound like iron or no sound at all

I found my first 10k gold ring with my At pro a few weeks ago. It was reading a solid 47. The same day I found my first silver with this machine, a silver bracelet. It was bouncing around 67ish.

XLTer

Sep 26, 2012
Western Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[ Will a gold ring show up as a good target with iron audio on or will it sound like trash. ]

You guys with VDI #s , like my XLT , may want to try this trick . I was told by my Whites dealer that lead ( sinkers ) will read the same as gold nuggets . Try all different sizes .:thumbsup:

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Your right the nickles are dead on at 52 and sometimes 51. I have plucked $5.25 in nickels in the past 3 weeks.

Does anyone know if gold rings etc give a strong solid signal or does the signal have a crackle along with the tone

A gold ring should not give any crackle with this machine, unless it is at the limit of the depth of detection, then it might start breaking up a bit. Just dig that too, to be sure.

Dirt.Is.Good.4U

Nov 27, 2012
Nicholasville, KY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
One thing I discovered early to reduce arm fatigue was to get the length set correctly. Swinging that coil too far out in front will wear you down. HH

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Dign-nbama

Sep 28, 2012
North Alabama
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star, Minelab Etrac,, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't know what coil you are using but if not the 5x8 DD, get one and go back and see how much more you'll find,, Bart @ Big Boy Hobbies hooked me up with the 5x8 along with the standard coil and man this thing is a coin magnet in trash, thanks Bart. Still learning all the language this thing can speak but so far I like what I hear....

firemac

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Irving Texas and the beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Garrett pro pointer Minelab Etrac & excal ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
12-8-2012.JPG hunted this morning on the way home from the fire station, found this cross and about $1 in clad. the cross rang up as a 51 on my at pro, thought it was going to be another nickle. think its just plated

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATG and thinking about another nugget hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm getting AT Gold for Xmas. Plus a BH Pioneer Pro 505 for my kids. I'm looking to compare the two. I've heard good things about the BH and thought about getting it since I was just beginning. I decided to get the Gold due to the added 3mhz to help detect the fine gold here in AZ.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread