Bucket Lister

Dec 20, 2023
Detector(s) used
XP Dēus II
XP MI-6
XP WSA II-XL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would then be reading a post on why not to wear 3 pairs of KOSS headphones at the same time. 🤣
Close! :laughing7:

The other night I laid out all the accoutrements I've been accumulating, and it suddenly dawned on me why they sell backpacks specifically for metal detecting... I'm going to be carrying more 💩on my belt than Batman!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Close! :laughing7:

The other night I laid out all the accoutrements I've been accumulating, and it suddenly dawned on me why they sell backpacks specifically for metal detecting... I'm going to be carrying more 💩on my belt than Batman!
50% of the time it's only the detector, headphones, pouch/PP, and shovel.
The other 50% is because I am going too far from the vehicle.
So backpack with 2 waters/snack.

robertk

Bronze Member
May 16, 2023
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That sounds like my setup, too, except sometimes I bring along a five gallon bucket for all the iron so I don't have my pouch dragging the ground.... If I were going to a more modern place, swap the bucket for a trash bag.

Bucket Lister

Dec 20, 2023
Detector(s) used
XP Dēus II
XP MI-6
XP WSA II-XL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm sure I'll get things pared down.
I'm also sure I've gone overboard on many of these "accoutrements," as I am wont to do with new endeavors/hobbies/interests. 🙄

Some tools (MI-6) have holsters; others do not. In looking at some generic tools holsters I might be able to use or adapt, I came across some tool caddies that attach to a 5 gal. bucket (robertk 😉)
1705778292915.png
Could be just the thing... or not. :dontknow:
I could even carry my shorty shovel in it (Y'know... the one I'm never supposed to let property owners see... 😲 ) 😁

The more I think about it...
Mobile base of operations​
Gets all that stuff/weight off my arthritic frame​
Makeshift stool/place to sit​
Container for carrying out iron/trash​
A clean dry place to lean the Dēus II​
....​
Yeah... that's the ticket! 😂🤣😂

Bucket Lister

Dec 20, 2023
Detector(s) used
XP Dēus II
XP MI-6
XP WSA II-XL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use the WS6 puck on the stick rather than using the control on my head. Needed the WSA-II over my ears.
OK.

Just for sake of discussion (and maybe other folks reading this), I believe you can still use the WS6 backphones with the puck detached and mounted on the stick, no? It's all wireless.

Yeah, I just pulled mine out and tried this. I thought it might feel too... unbalanced with the puck detached, but it really didn't (to me—YMMV)

I did something similar. I got both the RC and WS6, and WSA II-XLs (because I prefer over-the-earphones), and because I wasn't sure how I'd be using the machine (first detector), and I wanted the flexibility...

sibbley

Mar 18, 2023
Nazareth, PA
Detector(s) used
Dr. Otek MT-XR, Ace Apex, Xterra Pro, Nokta Legend, Nokta Makro Impact, Manticore, XP ORX, XP Deus 2 WS6 Master
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OK.

Just for sake of discussion (and maybe other folks reading this), I believe you can still use the WS6 backphones with the puck detached and mounted on the stick, no? It's all wireless.

Yeah, I just pulled mine out and tried this. I thought it might feel too... unbalanced with the puck detached, but it really didn't (to me—YMMV)

I did something similar. I got both the RC and WS6, and WSA II-XLs (because I prefer over-the-earphones), and because I wasn't sure how I'd be using the machine (first detector), and I wanted the flexibility...
I was under the impression by what I read and some videos on the WS6, that I needed to purchase the WSA-11 backphones or XL. Unless of course, I wanted to be tethered to the machine with corded headphones.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have one and now its my only machine. I set it on deep high conductor, which is #6 on mine. I use the little headphones. I picked up a 3/4" colonial tombac button TWO INCHES from 1n 8" x 1" iron spike. Do the math. They can't be beat. They don't chatter in salt water either.

aShardOfHistory

Oct 14, 2023
Essex UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro
Deus 2
I will be picking one of these up after the weekend and wanted to ask a few things. Im getting the full remote with the 9 inch coil. Ive never used headphones and dont think ill be getting any.

What are some settings people have used to coin shoot in very very trashy areas. Like old ghost town type trash.

How happy is everyone with the machine?

I wont be using it in water but might hit tahoe beaches and see how it preforms.

How user friendly is this compared to the nox 800?

Lastly will this work better in heavy iron than the nox 800?

Thanks
It's amazing on beaches and even in the waves where the seawater goes over the coil

I love my D2 and definitely happy with it.

I think everyone will agree that headphones from XP mostly suck, I'd recommend getting the ws2 XL think they're called (the bulky ones) since they're soo comfortable.

And I'd recommend an MI6 pinpointer since you can link up to the remote and hear it in the headphones.

User friendliness is questionable by how much of a psychopathic masochist you are. It doesn't take too long to get used to it tho and it's fairly easy to use

I was basically completely new to detectors that weren't turn on n go but I'm doing fine with learning it

Emil W

Nov 4, 2021
Central New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
Deus
Deus Lite
Garrett Apex
Garrett Pinpointer
BH Discovery 2200
BH Pioneer EX
White's Coinmaster 6000D (have had for decades)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don’t agree that the XP backphones suck. I now hate using the over-the-ear headphones for my Apex. The backphones are so light it‘s easy to forget you’re wearing them. I think it depends on how often you’ve been detecting over the years. I’d imagine if you’ve been out in the fields week after week, year after year, you’d be so used to whatever you’re using that everything else would just feel “wrong”.

I detect when I can, only on the nicest days. It was easy for me to adjust to the backphones.

Bucket Lister

Dec 20, 2023
Detector(s) used
XP Dēus II
XP MI-6
XP WSA II-XL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
User friendliness is questionable by how much of a psychopathic masochist you are. It doesn't take too long to get used to it tho and it's fairly easy to use

I was basically completely new to detectors that weren't turn on n go but I'm doing fine with learning it
🤣😂🤣 It's taking me a while. At one point, I was concerned I might wear out the power button because I kept getting lost/messing up and had to power off and start over so many times. I've since printed out the Deus 2 Menu Trees: Controller plus WS6 Master Now Added which seems to be helping my learning curve.

I'm doing fine with learning it too. 🙂
I'm having fun, and that's what I got it for.

aShardOfHistory

Oct 14, 2023
Essex UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro
Deus 2
🤣😂🤣 It's taking me a while. At one point, I was concerned I might wear out the power button because I kept getting lost/messing up and had to power off and start over so many times. I've since printed out the Deus 2 Menu Trees: Controller plus WS6 Master Now Added which seems to be helping my learning curve.

I'm doing fine with learning it too. 🙂
I'm having fun, and that's what I got it for.
If you're having fun and finding stuff that's all that matters tbh

I am yet to start messing around with the settings and stuff since my permissions all got planted there's only so much you can change for beach trips

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
There are many shapes heads and I'm darned sure they used a mannequin that a square head.
I can bend dig retrieve a 100 targets and never touch these.
The backbones were always slipping.
I'm out there to enjoy the day, not fight with a piece of equipment.
Screen Shot 2024-01-20 at 9.13.35 AM (1).png

(No offense to all the big sq.headed folks out there)
Signed: pencil head

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I will be picking one of these up after the weekend and wanted to ask a few things. Im getting the full remote with the 9 inch coil. Ive never used headphones and dont think ill be getting any.

What are some settings people have used to coin shoot in very very trashy areas. Like old ghost town type trash.

How happy is everyone with the machine?

I wont be using it in water but might hit tahoe beaches and see how it preforms.

How user friendly is this compared to the nox 800?

Lastly will this work better in heavy iron than the nox 800?

Thanks
Now after much to do with what the headphones are all about-likes-hates, and stuff between.

Most of my hunting is relic-little to no public venues.

From owning the Deus l the ll woke up the sites once again. Very happy with the performance in the iron, and still learning the machine (1 1/4 yr owning it) I have the 9" coil as well and have no plans in getting anything bigger. (As it's not a race to cover huge tracts of land)

You'll do fine in the general program (It's the program to use also if the is really saturated with moisture.
I use the High Square tones for audio as the dig gable targets will sound off really high. (there's little doubt between an iron and a non-ferrous target)

Lowering the discrimination has been proven to get some extra targets and depth.
Raising the reactivity will help separation-burthen some depth is lost also.
Personally I just slow the swing way down to compensate.

Sensitive Fast is the go to in iron it seems, (for me at least)

THere's one thing about the Deus ll is if the # detected will be the # out of the hole as well. It has a amazing ability to get that bang on. (Granted I have had a #94 then out of the hole in the dirt it read #99-it was a silver quarter)

sibbley

Mar 18, 2023
Nazareth, PA
Detector(s) used
Dr. Otek MT-XR, Ace Apex, Xterra Pro, Nokta Legend, Nokta Makro Impact, Manticore, XP ORX, XP Deus 2 WS6 Master
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lol, pepperj, I had to print your post. There's good information there. Thanks...

sibbley

Mar 18, 2023
Nazareth, PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like the small backphones because a monster might sneak up on me. That way I can hear it.
I don't mind the monsters so much, it's just the constant wedgies when I'm not looking and can't hear them!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the small backphones because a monster might sneak up on me. That way I can hear it.
And just what is the plan after you hear the monster? :laughing7:

sibbley

Mar 18, 2023
Nazareth, PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
And just what is the plan after you hear the monster? :laughing7:
I can't speak for smokeythecat, but I turn around to face them so they don't grab my undies!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread