What's new

Getting Old Sucks

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
⛮ Administrator
⛭ Moderator
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
Jul 27, 2006
Messages
56,452
Reaction score
72,709
Golden Thread
0
Went salt water fishing in Indian river today from a walkway, river empties into the Atlantic by New Smyrna beach. We were fishing from a walkway under 4 lane state road 44. It was very windy with gusts 25-30 mph, a gust blew my brand new $15.00 sun hat off my head and into the river, current was so fast I was unable to hook it before it got out of range.

I decided to try to run to the last pier visible a 100+ yards away to try to hook the hat, because the current was so fast I had to run the entire 100 yards with rod to get there before my hat did. I got there just in time to retrieve my hat with a cast before it passed.

Good news I retrieved my hat. Bad news, I'm older than I thought, a 100+ yard sprint was not as easy as it use to be 20 years ago.


20200320_220837.webp
 
Last edited:
Wow! What an effort. I'd still be looking for my car keys to drive over there....
 
Yeah, it sucks. But at least you didn’t fall and break a hip.
 
You got that. I'm 60 and what used to be an easy cart trip to get split wood up the hill is starting to be a real effort.
 
Ya need thumbtacks. Or a chinstrap.
Do NOT borrow one of your wife's bras...

Congrats on the hundred yard dash. You're way ahead of me!
 
You did good, check with the state health department before you eat the fish.
 
Was a 100 yard sprint ever easy? Not for me. Hated them then, hate them even more now, not that they’re any longer in the realm of possibility.

Glad you saved your hat.
dts
 
100 foot sprint? No thanks
 
I use to love to run and would always take up the challenge for a quick race. If I did it now, my legs would be back at the starting line with the rest of the old body.
Congrats on retrieving the hat. Good cast!
 
LOL At least you Still had the Energy & The Mind to Run :notworthy:

Personally the Second it was out of reach, all that would have crossed my mind was Home, Store, or Ebay
 
Hmmm... after reading all these posts... you all have got me a little worried... SO... I am gonna start practicing up my casting abilities now.

Maybe even brushing up on a mini grappling hook technique is also in order...

of course neither seem like a good idea to retrieve a sandwhich which was the last thing I dropped overboard fumble fingering it while leaning over. :/
 
My question is why were you wearing an expensive hat fishing? Old worn out hats are the best. When you lose it you watch it float away!
 
Lol, yup I know what you mean. I'll be 71 the last day of this month but with the help of meds I still feel great, no thanks to the 5 or 6 small cigars I inhale daily. Hope you caught more than just your hat.

Don
 
Glad you were able to recover your hat! Does the State put a limit on the number of hats you can catch?
 
Your doing really good,don't think I would have made it 50 yd,s before I said F it.
 
Congrats on a great catch. I hope you didn't practice "catch and release".
 
I would have thought you’d have one of those parrots trained to fetch for you
 
Lol, yup I know what you mean. I'll be 71 the last day of this month but with the help of meds I still feel great, no thanks to the 5 or 6 small cigars I inhale daily. Hope you caught more than just your hat.

Don

We are in same boat except I quit smoking in 1968. I was 71 on last Birthday..

Yeah, it sucks. But at least you didn’t fall and break a hip.

That is something that never crossed my mind and it should have, my mom fell and broke her hip on 9/11 and was in hospital in Va during the 9/11 attack. I know how much pain she was in and how long the recovery was.

You got that. I'm 60 and what used to be an easy cart trip to get split wood up the hill is starting to be a real effort.

I know what you mean, had wood stove when I lived in Missouri, use to cut and split my own wood.

Ya need thumbtacks. Or a chinstrap.
Do NOT borrow one of your wife's bras...

Congrats on the hundred yard dash. You're way ahead of me!

Hat had chin strap, but the wind gusts were 25-30 mph, my back was to wind and flipped my hat forward into river before I knew what was happening.

You did good, check with the state health department before you eat the fish.

Fish are good, we are catching spanish mackerel, mangro snapper, blue fish, pompano, black drums and blue crabs from there.

Was a 100 yard sprint ever easy? Not for me. Hated them then, hate them even more now, not that they’re any longer in the realm of possibility.

Glad you saved your hat.
dts

I use to enjoy running, I was fastest in my platoon in basic training, also ran 5 miles a day 5 days a week when I was in martial arts, I studied Taekwondo for 8 years, made 2nd degree black Belt and fought 3 times a week.

LOL At least you Still had the Energy & The Mind to Run :notworthy:

Personally the Second it was out of reach, all that would have crossed my mind was Home, Store, or Ebay

Will probably be my choice next time, just didnt want to go rest of day with no hat and wasnt ready to go home.

Hmmm... after reading all these posts... you all have got me a little worried... SO... I am gonna start practicing up my casting abilities now.

Maybe even brushing up on a mini grappling hook technique is also in order...

of course neither seem like a good idea to retrieve a sandwhich which was the last thing I dropped overboard fumble fingering it while leaning over. :/

Grappling hook wouldn't have worked, current was too fast, hat was 20 foot away with in 10-15 seconds, I had one chance to snag it with rod when it fell and then it was out of reach. About 8 foot from floor of walkway to river below and walkway has 4 foot guard rail.
 
I would have thought you’d have one of those parrots trained to fetch for you

LOL, I clip their flight feathers on wings. They can fly down but not enough flight feathers to gain altitude. I do that because we have ceiling fans and one was flying in room to cage and was almost hit by fan that was on.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom