Getting Permission?

TampaTroy

Feb 3, 2014
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATpro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm very new at this but I know of a pasture very near my house that was a farm and has had a few houses, at least 1 barn and a pond that was used for a swimming hole. Issue is it was recently bought up by an international mega-developer to turn into a business park. In trying to find someone to ask permission from I have amassed a long list of individuals I could call. My question is should I call the real estate agency on the sign, or attempt to shoot for the top of the food chain and call the developer's state division property manager? I want to call the person most likely to give me a yeah sure. Any advice?

Upvote 0

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sounds like you may never get to hunt it.I have no idea who you would want to talk too with something like that.but it sounds like big wig permission.in other words sounds like you might get a big fat no after all that hard work just trying to get permission.probably would have better luck swinging your machine 'somewhere"Then again,might get hooked up nicely in the land development:piratehand:good luck with it

Last edited:

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have hunted areas like that b4 and I have just hunted it and got outta there. Anytime I've asked a real estate agent that was the fastest no I got. 9 chances outta 10 u could hunt it and no one will say a word. If someone says anything just play stupid with them

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I agree that it sounds like a Goose chase. I would wait till I saw the developer or lead contractor, and try to befriend him.
If it's a friendly guy (or Gal) they may facilitate a hunt-either a permission or a "just go-on ahead" anything to give you cover in case you are confronted by police-however likely that may be. Since the land is going to be redeveloped, someone metal detecting
may not be of any concern to them. Keep an eye on the activity there and be ready. Good Luck

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could always hunt it on weekends.

OP
OP
T

TampaTroy

Feb 3, 2014
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATpro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm in the construction biz so I'm also hoping to get a piece of the project when it begins. I might just make it a business inquiry and then turn the conversation to how I grew up in the area and would you mind if I poked around in the dirt before the site work starts.

Or maybe I'll wander over there to look at the cows like I did when I was a kid.

Rangerbb

Jan 25, 2013
Columbia, SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Whites PI Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've found real estate agencies to be a waste of time on trying to get permission. I don't blame them since there job is to sell the property and when you are talking about 100's of acres of land worth big $ all the property owner wants to hear from the agent is that they have a buyer not some guy wants to play hobby on his land haha. Also most of the owners are banks so they will give a standard NO because of the lawyers thinking they may get sued... You may never get permission and on the other hand you may find nobody would of cared seeing a guy metal detecting out in the field.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
haha, I'm cracking up on rangerbb, produce guy, & dholland02 :) Maybe it's just the image of the site you portray tampa-troy ("international mega developer"), but ... where I'm at, anytime something on this coorporate scale goes on (big nameless faceless corporations in other cities or states) goes on in some sort of old-town urban demolition, we do not hesitate to hunt it.

Unless it's locked up like Ft. Knox or something and you simply have no choice but to go grovel somewhere. But seriously: I notice you say you went there as a kid to look at cows, and perhaps swim in that lake, right? Well then GEE, if anyone asks (go after 5pm when work has cut out for the day), then aren't you just looking for the boyscout ring you lost there when you were a kid? :dontknow:

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just hunt it, unless there are visable signs to stay away.

There are places i hunt that say " No trepsassing for your safety"...which in my head means...Ok, Ill keep an eye on my saftey..lol

hunter_46356

Feb 12, 2012
Indiana/Florida
Detector(s) used
NOx 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the place is to be developed and most of the locals know this, a hard hat and a safety vest, while making you very noticeable would most likely be taken as someone from the owner/developer that's just out there doing some pre construction investigation. The only problem I see is if you are actually confronted by anyone you'd then have to decide to continue the hoax or just be honest and tell them your MDing. The safety stuff would then become just your personal safety measures. Guess the hard hat might be kinda tough with head phones but a moded safety vest could be used for MDing stuff.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread