Getting that "Yes"

Southern_Boy

Feb 2, 2007
New York State..Vestal, NY
Detector(s) used
Fischer CZ-3D
Getting that "Yes"

Hi:

Have been reading and taking notes down from this site. I have been doing a lot of research preparing myself for this spring. I am really looking forward to joining everyone and posting the finds that I know that are out there!

There is a historical building that I was moved just recently and the site that it was on is now up for construction. I have walked this small plot of land and I have been able to see that there is a lot of junk metal just sticking up out of the ground and I know that my job will be difficult.

I also feel that there could be some interesting artifacts and maybe a few coins to find too!

Now...How is the best way for me to go about getting permission to search the lot? I really want to do this correctly and make sure that I do not ruin it for other people in this hobby.

Upvote 0

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Getting that "Yes"

I would get in contact with whoever is overseeing the construction on the site. And try to get permission before they start pushing the dirt around--both for the sake of your finds as well as the fact that they will see you as a liability once they actually start construction. I've had mixed results with this. In my experience, written permission from the city/town is not really the route to go. The construction company is in charge of what happens on their sites, so talk to them first.

Regards,

Buckleboy

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Southern Boy,

Construction can take a while to plan, but will happen fast. Don't wait or you may loose the oportunity.

Ed D.

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana

Born2Dtect said:
Southern Boy,

Construction can take a while to plan, but will happen fast. Don't wait or you may loose the oportunity.

Ed D.

Yes!! Great advise...

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800

I'd just hunt it. Fill all holes neatly.

If someone comes and says anything show them how much garbage you've cleaned up from the site already. I never had any problems hunting vacant lots.

No one cares. As long as your not destroying anything. It's not a historic landmark right.

HH Jer

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana

JerDfx said:
I'd just hunt it. Fill all holes neatly.

If someone comes and says anything show them how much garbage you've cleaned up from the site already. I never had any problems hunting vacant lots.

No one cares. As long as your not destroying anything. It's not a historic landmark right.

HH Jer

This may be very true sometimes...

but if the site is under the care of a construction company... they are liable, and they WILL care. And, the law is on their side.

Just sayin' - be smart.

OP
OP
Southern_Boy

Southern_Boy

Feb 2, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fischer CZ-3D

Hi:

I reviewed everyone's reply and I am going the long route but I think the right way. I got the telephone number off the board and placed a call to the owner. Talked with a lady and asked permission to detect on the property that I have been looking at. There appears to be a bit of a communication problem, she is Asian and could not understand me completely on what I wanted to do. She will have a friend call me back and I will see what happens. If I can I will see if it will be okay to send them a letter and that might be the right thing to do. I definitely do not want to ruin this new hobby for me or for anyone else in the area. I will keep you all posted on what happens.

Sincerely,
Southern_Boy

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004

Southern_Boy said:
Hi:

I reviewed everyone's reply and I am going the long route but I think the right way. I got the telephone number off the board and placed a call to the owner. Talked with a lady and asked permission to detect on the property that I have been looking at. There appears to be a bit of a communication problem, she is Asian and could not understand me completely on what I wanted to do. She will have a friend call me back and I will see what happens. If I can I will see if it will be okay to send them a letter and that might be the right thing to do. I definitely do not want to ruin this new hobby for me or for anyone else in the area. I will keep you all posted on what happens.

Sincerely,
Southern_Boy

Glad your starting out right. You may get a no, but we all get those and move on to the next interesting spot. There are just too many places to hunt without having to look over your shoulder constantly worrying who is going to call the cops on you.

OP
OP
Southern_Boy

Southern_Boy

Feb 2, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fischer CZ-3D

Hi Gribnitz:

You know you are right and I really want to do the right thing and really enjoy this new hobby. I am still hoping that I will be able to overcome the language barrier and let this person know what I want to do though. I am sure that there are some old coins in that area but I will keep everyone informed of my developments.

DiggerBug

Oct 28, 2006
Bama
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

If they don't call back soon, call them again. Persistence pays! ;)
Good luck and keep us posted (with lots of pictures) ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread