Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've detected Swede hollow but it kinda sucked [at least that's what I'll say on here, lol]... Naw, I did it wrong last time but now have new insight so I may go back. Other than that, I haven't been out to any.. Planned on it but haven't made it to any yet.. You?

OP
OP
mattfink

mattfink

Dec 23, 2012
Cottage Grove, MN
Detector(s) used
minelab equinox 800
Minelab excalibur ii
Whites surfmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
no but like I said swede hollow is just a few blocks away but kinda scary alone.

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lol, it's not scary... Only the people standing on the stairs smoking joints but what are they gonna do.. haha

Maybe we can go down there together this spring and hunt a little... I don't generally hunt with anyone because that's my alone time but I'll do it... Maybe you can take me out panning as well... I have no desire to start that as another hobby but it would be fun to do especially around here

naturalexplorer

Greenie
Feb 7, 2012
Saint Paul, MN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My buddies and I picked Swede Hollow clean years ago. Try snooping around Hamm's... I do though have a nice list of MN ghost town and have found a lot of cool stuff. I was scouting a place to turkey hunt last spring and came across old fences and foundations, one of the things I found was an old metal toy cargo truck which had to be from the 30's-50's.

Goose-0

Dec 25, 2006
Central Minnnesota
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & VX3
I've collected old Minn maps for around 9 yrs now....the oldest being 1919...not too detailed though. I also have a detailed "Official Minnesota Road Map" put out by the state in 1925. It was only the second yr the state issued a road map and it is LARGE......27" X 38". It was printed in 2 colors - red and black for paved and unpaved roads and blank on the back. I also have a 1921 World Atlas showing all of the states in multi colors. I find many town names on the Minn map that I never heard of and I don't think they exist now.

OP
OP
mattfink

mattfink

Dec 23, 2012
Cottage Grove, MN
Detector(s) used
minelab equinox 800
Minelab excalibur ii
Whites surfmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool! anything on the town of beaver?

Goose-0

Dec 25, 2006
Central Minnnesota
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & VX3
There are 2 Beavers on one of the Minn maps I have.....I looked at 4 maps and a 1942 R R guide before I found a 'Beaver'. One is located N W of Split Rock (Map says it's a town....Split Rock Lighthouse is on its shore) and the other one is N W of Winona. Other than that, I know nothing about either one. Google 'Beaver, Minn' and see what you come up with.

OP
OP
mattfink

mattfink

Dec 23, 2012
Cottage Grove, MN
Detector(s) used
minelab equinox 800
Minelab excalibur ii
Whites surfmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have and there isn't much info about it....its the one by winona....I have ancestors buried at the cemetary there. And thats all that is left.

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found a "good for" token from the town of Beaver. I sold about 20 years ago for $80.

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A buddy and I searched for the town of Vicksburg. Down in the Renville County area. We had old Maps and found the old grave yard. Only about 15 graves, all broken up. We hunted and hunted the fields we thought would be the town and never found it. It was a fun search and very interesting. Met some great people and learned a huge amount about the Sioux Uprising in the area. We did get to hunt a few old home sites and old groves had some great old relics. Bottles and such. Is certainly was worth the time and money in gas and traveling to learn the truth of history!!

Goose-0

Dec 25, 2006
Central Minnnesota
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & VX3
That was very interesting R D, thanks. Last spring I investigated Langola, it's in my neck of the woods. It appears that the past location of that town is now occupied by a camping area. For many a snow, I was interested by Watab....a few miles from where I live. I'll try to hit that place in the spring.

BertC

Dec 25, 2013
Does anybody remember the old billy goat bridge in burnsville? Built in 1915 and a railroad that ran under it from here to Northfield. Next to the billy was a HUGE dumping area too. I'm planning on going there this spring. Anybody want to join me? Don't worry about trains. It's been shut down for years! Let me know.

OP
OP
mattfink

mattfink

Dec 23, 2012
Cottage Grove, MN
Detector(s) used
minelab equinox 800
Minelab excalibur ii
Whites surfmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmm that would be interesting

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting.. I lived in Burnsville for 5 years but wasn't metal detecting at the time.. When I first started reading your post I thought you might be talking about Blackdog Park with the bridge that runs over the tracks but that's still active [as far as I know].. I don't generally seek out people to hunt with but I'm also not against it.. It's possible that I'd be up for checking it out when it gets just a bit warmer..

BertC

Dec 25, 2013
Interesting.. I lived in Burnsville for 5 years but wasn't metal detecting at the time.. When I first started reading your post I thought you might be talking about Blackdog Park with the bridge that runs over the tracks but that's still active [as far as I know].. I don't generally seek out people to hunt with but I'm also not against it.. It's possible that I'd be up for checking it out when it gets just a bit warmer..

The Billy Goat ran over the the tracks where west burnsville pkwy is just BEFORE judicial road intersects with it.

OP
OP
mattfink

mattfink

Dec 23, 2012
Cottage Grove, MN
Detector(s) used
minelab equinox 800
Minelab excalibur ii
Whites surfmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that would be cool if not just to walk the tracks they look like they haven't been used in a long time. I need to find a few spikes and a small piece of track for blacksmithing.....lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread