giant clam fossil

hmmm

Jun 9, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To me this looks to be a clam fossil in sand stone, its about 4 feet tall, what do you fossil experts think. The fossil sits out side a petroglyph site, old willy pointed at it and said ," it is the thunder bird." befor i saw the clam i thought it could be a eagle fossile. I think the fossile has been exposed by man to show case it. the old indian said ,the petroglyph site was not made by his people.

Attachments

• gianitclam.jpg
    gianitclam.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 925

kraken

Dec 9, 2006
Can you get a better picture and where you found it? It just makes it easier to find out its age and type. They do have clams in the Cretaceous that get that big and larger, but they have never been found complete because on the way the shell was grown.

futzman

May 29, 2005
Tulsa, OK
hmmm said:
to me this looks to be a clam fossil in sand stone, its about 4 feet tall, what do you fossil experts think.

That would be quite a find if it's a clam. A better photo would help, along with the context of where it's located (type of rock, other fossils in the same strata).

OP
OP
hmmm

hmmm

Jun 9, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
THE FOSSIL IS IN SAND STONE ON THE WEST coast of vancover island, i dont have a better picture but this small fossil was near by.

Attachments

• clamsmall_0001.jpg
    clamsmall_0001.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 1,235

kraken

Dec 9, 2006
Perhaps one of the Inoceramus, thats the only one that I know of the would get to that size. I have never seen a whole on before and this appears to be one.

OP
OP
hmmm

hmmm

Jun 9, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IT OCCURED TO ME TO GO THROUGH MY OLD 35 MM Pictures, i found more of the giant clam, there is a chief and his son standing in front of it. I 'll go scan it, since my camera died, i also have a crab fossile 30,000,000 years old . came from the same spot. my girl friend showed me it, i smashed it on a rock and waled away , thought she was just showing me a rock. she didnt tell me, but sliped it in my pack. my pack seemed heavy after the three hour hike out, funny when you think about it, i had a fossile fiend expose and id the crab. ::)

OP
OP
hmmm

hmmm

Jun 9, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this picture realy shows the size.

Attachments

• clamf11.jpg
    clamf11.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 1,052