Gigantic, 329 year old Oak Tree (162 ft across)

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004

Attachments

• oak.jpg
    oak.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 1,366
  • oak1.jpg
    oak1.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 1,367
Upvote 0

Discrimination Dave

Sep 18, 2008
Primary Interest:
Other
hikeinmts said:
That is one beautiful old tree.
We have a few of those in S. Korea.....the ones that the Japanese didn't chop down, cut up, and float to Japan, during their
occupation of this country. One of my favorite places to hunt, and almost always find an old coin or two. We measure them
by how many men it would take to put their arms around the trunk.....hence, 3-man trees, 4-man trees, etc.
Thanks for the pics......will try to send some from this neck of the woods. :thumbsup:

And we do appreciate it, Hikkup,
I'm putting my beer on an old Korean tree remnant coaster even as i type! :coffee2:

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Great old tree. Nice to see some of them still standing. Think of the hurricanes that tree survived!

East Coast used to have some great American chestnuts. A lot of the older structures were made from their wood, which are still standing today.

Not as old or as large in my part of the US, though.

Oregon has some of the fastest growing, as well as the largest, trees in the world. Which is kind of odd because we have some of the worst soils, as well as very acidic rain.

In my lifetime, I used to see individual log trucks carrying a single 12-foot diameter, 30-foot long trunk. That was all the truck could haul. Then a lot of it got cut to finance the Space Program back in Kennedy's tenure. Now you have to hunt for 'em. Maynard Drawson has documented many "big trees" in Oregon. 200-foot tall trees are less common now, but still here for those that know how to find 'em, and where. And in southwestern Oregon near the coast, coastal redwoods still dot the landscape like giant 250-foot-tall sentinals, proclaiming "Here we are. Here we remain."

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread