Glad we hit it when we did!

KyDigNQueen

May 30, 2016
KY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Today I got off early from work so I decided to swing by the same park we hunted Sunday and yesterday to search for other signals besides coins hoping I might find some jewelry. I cleaned out the Sandlot they were big pieces of metal in there that could have cut some kids foot, and several bottle caps. I'm minding my own business and Along Comes A guy with a Code Enforcement Officer shirt on. I bet it hadn't been 10 minutes. He tells me that the city has an ordinance that prohibits metal detecting in all city parks. He was very polite and said I looked like I knew what I was doing, but some people in the past dug big holes and didn't fill them in. They were concerned people might step in the holes and injure themselves. ( & sue the city I'm sure is more their concern) My 3rd day here. Bummer! I told him that we looked online a n d found no restrictions or ordinances against detecting. Then he said well it's actually the parks and recreation dept. I said Huh, well we actually looked at that specific website and it doesn't say it's prohibited. No reply. I chatted him up and told him I was doing them a free public service by removing very sharp metal from their sandbox. I showed him a sharp piece of metal that I pulled just minutes before he showed up. He looked shocked. I asked him if all the city parks were that way and he said yes. I said i was bummed because it being a small town I didnt really have anywhere else to go. He did tell me i should check with the school board. Guess we need to find out what the city ordinances are. Can you look those up online?? I found one quarter...dang.

Last edited:
Upvote 4

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go to the city police department or parks department and politely ask them to show you the written law or ordinance prohibiting metal detecting in city parks. If a law is not ratified, (voted upon) and codified, ( written,) then it is not enforceable. An official's opinion is not law. You will know then, for sure. Worse case scenario, you have to drive to a nearby town and MD at their parks legally. Best of Luck, Sub 8-)

OP
OP
KyDigNQueen

KyDigNQueen

May 30, 2016
KY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Skippy. Crazy thing is there was only one person at the park and they were sitting in their car eating lunch. I wasn't disturbing a thing and had not even dug a single plug!:icon_scratch: And I'm with you, I think they DON'T have an ordinance. Anyway, glad we cleaned out most of the quarters first :laughing7: $20.00 between my husband and I in 2 trips. Thanks for the info. I saved it bc I won't remember all of that!

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
KYDIGNQUEEN....Sorry to hear about the interrupted hunt, as I also feel your pain as I've been told there is a detecting ban in my city also. I have not yet asked anyone at the Parks and Recreation Dept. regarding MDing, but I have helped myself to a couple parks and especially one very large soccer field, which has produced a TON of clad, 1929 Standing Liberty quarter, 1943 Walking Liberty half and a date-less Largie...I usually go later in the evening and on the weekends, and have hunted there dozens of times. More than a few times a police car has cruised through the park and never looked twice at me...and I always make sure my pouch is full of cans, bottle caps and other trash so if I'm ever approached I can show them that I do detect responsibly, along with making sure that all my plugs are "invisible"...Sub has given me the idea to investigate to see if our town has an actual ordinance, or if they're just blowing smoke up my skirt..lol..thx guys for the positive input, happy hunting...ddf

OP
OP
KyDigNQueen

KyDigNQueen

May 30, 2016
KY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Digginfool, that's exactly where we found our clad....soccer fields! :icon_thumleft: There is a volleyball pit I'd love to search at one park but it is pretty busy. May scout it out Sunday morning like we hit that other park. If no one's there I might run check it out. Also, that is why I showed him all the trash I picked up for them so they know I'm responsible.

OP
OP
KyDigNQueen

KyDigNQueen

May 30, 2016
KY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Go to the city police department or parks department and politely ask them to show you the written law or ordinance prohibiting metal detecting in city parks. If a law is not ratified, (voted upon) and codified, ( written,) then it is not enforceable. An official's opinion is not law. You will know then, for sure. Worse case scenario, you have to drive to a nearby town and MD at their parks legally. Best of Luck, Sub 8-)

My husband said he will help me find out what the ordinances are. A neighboring city has soccer fields I'd like to hit up on a Sunday, also. Hate to have to drive that far from home though :(

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have a LOT to say about city ordinances. As far as I am concerned they are in place to steal money and make new revenue. I have stories but right now will keep them to myself.

Sorry to hear your bad luck with somebody they put in some kind of authority. Our freedoms are slowly being taken away so cities can generate revenue.

At least you found one coin.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a bummer!
Its one of the reasons i md early Sunday morning less people, less problems.

I hope it all works out in your favor.
Maybe if you knew somebody that has some sway with the powers that be you could have them put in a good word for you & hubby, after all you are providing a community service, for free!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have done deep research on this. police dept says its legal but you cant destroy property. I got a permit from the parks and rec dept. Ive had one or two people not happy about me detecting not that they would notice any holes ect While their dogs pee and poop all over the place. We pay our taxes and we pay for these parks. I doubt this guy new what he was talking about!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shoulda asked him what brand he was swinging on his off hours.
Go back when it's raining and stay far from the roads so they'd have to walk
out in the rain to do their power trips.

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Shoulda asked him what brand he was swinging on his off hours.
Go back when it's raining and stay far from the roads so they'd have to walk
out in the rain to do their power trips.

Nailed It Chug and Red Here Fort Vancouver is the Only Off limits Area Federal Property bad stuff will happen if you Try and HUNT THERE sIGNS aRE pOSTED dAMN sIGNS Yes I did that On Purpose!!! HH Chug

OP
OP
KyDigNQueen

KyDigNQueen

May 30, 2016
KY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Seeing how the officer circumvented my ordinance question, I'm wondering if he was just trying to intimidate me thinking I'd just leave and never question anything. In hindsight, I wish when he told me "I'm not gonna cite you or anything" I'd said no, I'll take the citation. That way he would have to look it up and write it down on the citation....IF it even exists! :BangHead: Well, I am not going to give up that easily. You are right that our tax dollars pay for those parks!!!! I will keep everyone updated throughout the process.

OP
OP
KyDigNQueen

KyDigNQueen

May 30, 2016
KY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
☆☆UPDATE☆☆
Since the incident, my husband and I have obtained permission from the city Mayor to metal detect in all city parks. Instead of complaining or being confrontational we decided, with a little guidance from others, that it was in the best interest of our hobby to be professional and courteous when seeking permission. Despite our frustration at times, I feel we must ALL do our part to demonstrate integrity and respect by being advocates for metal detecting. We cannot allow our passion to override our common sense and dignity when dealing with officials, regardless if they are right or wrong. How we conduct ourselves in these situations is a direct reflection of us as individuals as well as a collective group of metal detectorists. Confrontation, negativity and/or blatant disregard for rules reflects poorly and tarnishes our reputation. Thus, making us more vulnerable to negative attention from the very people we want on our side. I will always strive to leave a positive interaction with each person I come in contact with while detecting. I feel it is much more conducive to favorable outcomes like mine today. Thanks for reading and for all the support and comments!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
☆☆UPDATE☆☆
Since the incident, my husband and I have obtained permission from the city Mayor to metal detect in all city parks. Instead of complaining or being confrontational we decided, with a little guidance from others, that it was in the best interest of our hobby to be professional and courteous when seeking permission. Despite our frustration at times, I feel we must ALL do our part to demonstrate integrity and respect by being advocates for metal detecting. We cannot allow our passion to override our common sense and dignity when dealing with officials, regardless if they are right or wrong. How we conduct ourselves in these situations is a direct reflection of us as individuals as well as a collective group of metal detectorists. Confrontation, negativity and/or blatant disregard for rules reflects poorly and tarnishes our reputation. Thus, making us more vulnerable to negative attention from the very people we want on our side. I will always strive to leave a positive interaction with each person I come in contact with while detecting. I feel it is much more conducive to favorable outcomes like mine today. Thanks for reading and for all the support and comments!

Well said, I get more permissions working with them than against them.

SeabeeRon

Bronze Member
Aug 5, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA.
Detector(s) used
ML Sov GT; Whites MXT & Surf PI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Saw your Update post that led me to this one. Good to know the whole story!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread