jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it seems like the gnats are worse this fall, it’s because they are: The state Department of Environmental Protection says the gnats have become a major nuisance.
The department controls them through the Black Fly Suppression Program, which uses a type of soil bacteria sprayed from helicopters to target four types of bothersome gnats. But this year the department ran out of state funding for spraying operations in early August and treatment came to an end, DEP spokeswoman Colleen Connolly said.
“Without continued spraying throughout August, numerous generations of black fly adults emerged from the streams and rivers and have become a major nuisance problem,” Connolly said.

Gnats bugging NEPA residents - News - Citizens' Voice

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fortunately / unfortunately that may not be too far away

Untitledkk.jpg

I like the Idea of Killing the Gnats, & Like the article says Deet doesn't work.
I've been Bathing my Face & Neck & Hat in Repel 100 which is about 96 or 98% Deet
it keeps them away for about 5 Minutes Then they laugh it off and bug me anyway.

But I hate the thought of Frost

Last edited:

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know Cjon455 and I actually quit a hunt right after he found silver because of the gnats ( and the chatty owner that kept walking and talking from he to I, lol!). I can handle the frost to get rid of the gnats.

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As jeff of pa says, Deet doesn't work on gnats. I started wearing a headnet a few years ago. It's the only way you can go in the woods.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread