GNRS 2013:

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other
Not sure about 2014, but it looks like FT had a hayday:

March 18, 2013 ·
Team Teknetics® and Team Fisher® place first and second
at the 2013 Grand National Relic Shootout
First Texas Products led a field of more than 200 of the best metal detectorists in the U.S.A. in equipment, talent and finds at the 2013 Grand National Relic Shootout (GNRS), held March 1 and 2 at a site near Richmond, VA.
GNRS is the Super Bowl of metal detecting so we entered two of our most well-known and proven hobby brands in the competition, Teknetics® and Fisher®. Three of our employees – all experts in metal detecting – were in the hunt: Mike Scott and Lupe Guerrero were on our Teknetics® team, and Gene Scullion was on our Fisher® team.
The hunt area contained a colonial village site dating back to the early 1600’s and in 1864, General Ulysses S. Grant charged over this same property with 40,000 Union troops. The site, now a beautiful swath of countryside, is ripe with Civil War relics.
Two of the best overall finds of the competition were an ID badge and a sword. Using his Teknetics® T2, Jeff Rees found a Civil War silver soldier ID badge bearing the name of a soldier and all the battles he had fought. Using his Fisher® Gold Bug, Tracy Short unearthed a Rapier sword with silver overlay, from the early 1600’s.
Here are the final results of the 2013 GNRS:
Team standings:
#1 Teknetics®
#2 Fisher®
#3 Minelab
#4 Garrett
#5 Orphan
#6 Nautilus
#7 Tesoro
#8 Whites
Top individual point scorers overall:
#1 Mike Scott – Teknetics®
#3 Gene Scullion – Fisher®
#4 Michael McKinney – Fisher®
#5 Dan Knight – Teknetics®

Last edited:
They've been doing very well. Wasn't it 2011 that Bounty Hunter took the #1 & #2 spots? Teknetics has been #1 for quite a string of years since then.

Interesting!

I thought it was really interesting when so many dealers dropped the Nautilus line and bought into the FT one. It happened almost overnight too..

Small nugget hunting is dominated by Fisher (GBP, and tiny nugget hunting is too (GB, GB2)
Sometimes the CZ Series matches the F-Series and T-2 for CW relics, but it depends on the variables.
The old 1200-2500 Series Garrett were real deep machines, but way too heavy for today's market. Same with Naughty.
I was shocked that Whites came in last. I wonder why?

is it possible that its largely the operators,special"tuning"or the like?If bh was big winner recently does that tell us that bh detectors are superior?

all seems a bit iffy..perhaps more at play.I dunno,I wasnt there.
cheers

The GNRS is the best of all detectors worlds at showing not just the best operators, but the best of all brands, and it shows there. Without FT detectors there - it clearly would go to Minelab, the results are the proof in the pudding, and those folks really know their detectors and their detector's capabilities. The hunts are done to (prove) which are the best, the detectors AND the operators, bar none. Anyone can enter to show their stuff and prove otherwise, and massive numbers of the best do. Egos get to shine there, especially when they buy and use the best equipment made. Through the searches there, we get to know the best of the best of the detecting world, including those who make and design our detectors. Notice that no European detectors seem to have entered this huge annual event. There were between 130-150 entrants. FT now DOMINATES this event. "BOUNTY HUNTER" is an ACRONYM, a tag, a team handle for FIRST TEXAS, which includes Teknetics, Fisher, and Bounty Hunter metal detectors. No, they didn't just use Bounty Hunters, that would not be very smart..the depth monsters are out there too.

Last edited:
is it possible that its largely the operators,special"tuning"or the like?If bh was big winner recently does that tell us that bh detectors are superior?

all seems a bit iffy..perhaps more at play.

I think drawing any kind of conclusion from what was posted is all speculation.Too many unknown variables. Were all brands equally represented in even numbers? If 10 people used whites and 100 used fisher it explains alot.I am not putting down any brand or promoting another just not enough data to conclude one out performing another.Luck comes into play as well.Anyway congrats to FTP for the wins.

I'm somewhat surprised that people aren't familiar with the GNRS:

Last edited:
I got my first detector in 1976.....I got my first pinpointer in 2014. I had never read a magazine on detecting or bothered to search the web about detecting until 2014 so there is alot of those type events I had never heard of.

I suppose I didnt know about it is because I actually care so little about it.If it was held where I hunt(cali mts)I would prolly give a hoot.
cheers tho...interesting

"The fastest car wins the race."

???Ya i`m a big fan of baseball.... but never herd of the World Series.
Ya i`m a big fan of hockey....what`s a Stanley Cup ?
seems to be par for the course here anymore.....ya i`m a big fan of metal detecting
huh.gif

ya the one team had 100 people on it and the other 10 .
Gary

That was funny Gary... :laughing7:

seems to be par for the course here anymore.....ya i`m a big fan of metal detecting
huh.gif

Gary

Wow really?
I did ask if each company was equally represented.
I dont understand the hateful nature of your post GAP.
Am I not worthy of owning detectors in your opinion GAP because I am uninformed of such events?
If so I wont hesitate to go throw them in the trash and refrain from buying more until I have studied and know everything there is to know about the hobby and industry.

Since I have found detecting on the internet I have learned things,found awesome products I never knew existed,and discovered brands unknown to me.I also discovered maybe its better to be a isolated detectorist at least no one gives you crap!

I think drawing any kind of conclusion from what was posted is all speculation.Too many unknown variables. Were all brands equally represented in even numbers? If 10 people used whites and 100 used fisher it explains alot.I am not putting down any brand or promoting another just not enough data to conclude one out performing another.Luck comes into play as well.Anyway congrats to FTP for the wins.
That is what i was thinking also did one or two brand of detectors way out number another brand . So that would show one brand out performing another in a case like that.

Keppy
Why do you think it is a fixed contest ?..... do you have proof ?
I don`t think any company would let another company take advantage in " The World Title"
gary

huh.gif

Gary

I like to fish...yet have zero interest in fishing tournaments. I like pizza...yet pizza tossing tournaments don't interest me either.

Comparing major league sports to a small trophy event for metal detectors is pretty silly. I am guessing most people who detect do so for the thrill of the hunt and being outside with some solitude. Not to become "fans" of a little known detecting tournament. Post the name of the top 10 winners and I will guess 95% of this forum will have no idea who they are.

That is not a knock on this tourney or the participants. I think it is a great idea and glad they have a "world series" of their own so to speak. But to be upset others don't follow it like it is some prerequisite to detect is petty.

Folks, the GNRS is not made for just a select few, but the team members (are) screened by the team leaders. The teams all want the best to team up with, so the best hunters apply to their favorite brand team and are then selected. It's one of those team vs team, with a 'free throw contests' alongside of it. Those guys are the Michael Jordans and Larry Byrds of the detecting world, and they chose their own basketballs to do their shooting with. I used to build detectors, but I'm way too outclassed to be able to go up against these guys in a freethrow contest such as this, they are in a totally different league than me, and most other people too. I learned a long time ago that there are many people who outclass me in many areas in life, so I too often just stand on the sidelines and let the Masters show their stuff, while I take notes. :icon_thumleft:

Last edited:
Keppy
Why do you think it is a fixed contest ?..... do you have proof ?
I don`t think any company would let another company take advantage in " The World Title"
gary
I have no idea how you came up with that idea ? I just wondered if there was like 10 of each brand there or if there was more of one brand than another .. So in no way did i say it was fixed or there was cheating going on ….. Like in nascar there will be a owner with 5 cars and a owner with only one car . That is not cheating that is just the way it is .. You really took that the wrong way .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back