Minelab Go Find, Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

shamantreasure

Greenie
Jan 1, 2010
South Dakota
Anyone know of any gold bearing areas relatively close to or in Iowa that I might be able to travel to? I don't expect to find any huge deposits but maybe find enough flour gold or something to make it worth my while. Any help would be great.

The iowa river near eldora. I read about it in the GPAA claims guide. Get a pan and find some bed rock cracks to clean out. There is glacier gold all over the midwest.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Spend some time reading up on how to recover flour gold. Shamantreasure has already given you some good gold recovery advice.

Find out everything you can before you go as the gold may be in or on the bedrock, or far above it in the top few inches of the gravel bars.

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
M

mhughes013

Oct 10, 2012
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok and thanks, although I hadn't heard about the eldora river before, there was another river in Iowa I had heard mentioned but wasn't sure. And so far I've been hearing about using a sluice to recover flour gold. I should probably do some more reading up on that first before I go.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
enough to make it worth your while?? flour gold?? yep theres flour gold out there in a lot of places, but not tnough to make it worth your while unless you have a lot of time to spend somewhere close to your home! you probly wont get enough to pay for your fuel bill!

OP
OP
M

mhughes013

Oct 10, 2012
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I understand I won't make a profit or anything like that especially around here but being able to go out have some fun and find some color would be worth my while. I know I won't get rich or anything like that, I just want to haave some fun and find some color while I'm doing it.

shawn32671

Jul 4, 2013
Iowa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
right near you there around osky is gold....this coming weekend (July 12-14) the iagpaa is having an outing down that way to pan and dredge

B H Prospector

Feb 2, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Having fun and spending time out doors with family and friends is always worth while even if you don't find color. Finding color is just icing on the cake.

Good Luck!

BH Prospector

OP
OP
M

mhughes013

Oct 10, 2012
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
shawn - i didnt even know there was a gpaa charter in the area. im guessing you have to be a gpaa member to go on any of the outings or anything?

And I had heard that there was some gold in the river up by pella.

shawn32671

Jul 4, 2013
Iowa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mhughes nope you don't have to be a gpaa member to join the Iowa chapter, just show up to the meeting and have fun. Let me know if you need contact info.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread