gold coin and more

kwdstalker

Jun 11, 2008
edgar nebraska
Detector(s) used
garrett ultra gta 500 garrett 250 ace and gti2500
My family and friend went to a very old farm site Sunday. We found lots of wire and junk so I was just swinging my Garrett 2500 wild when all at once it went wild bouncing from one end of the scale to the other. It showed it was about 6 inches deep, so I decided to go ahead and dig it the first thing that I saw was a old leather ball looking thing I pulled it out and saw it had a lid ,when I opened it up I could see a ring and a coin sticking out of the dirt in it. I hollered to my brother that I found a coin purse and need to go to the pickup to dump it out on the tailgate to see what was in it. By this time I was shaking too much so he slowly started taking things and dirt out of it, the more he took out the more shaking I did. About half ways empty a gold coin popped out by the time he got it clean out I could not believe my eyes I did not do a dance I was shaking to much lol.the date on the pictures is wrong I got tired of setting every time I recharged the battery put the pictures on photo bucket here is the link to them. http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/bb229/kwd_photos/finds/

Upvote 0

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_thumright: awsome finds beautiful coins

Attachments

• 151.gif
    151.gif
    16.2 KB · Views: 2,700
  • 151.gif
    151.gif
    16.2 KB · Views: 2,695
A

art of fact

I beleave that coin purse is from around 1935 to 1950 I would have those coin checked out.but I hope I am wrong.

Chico Rico

Dec 28, 2007
Virginia
If I were to hide a key or lose one with valuable coins, it would need to have some significance. The coins are really nice, BUT! That damn key would have me really wondering what it could be keeping locked...Maybe, just maybe.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
art of fact said:
I beleave that coin purse is from around 1935 to 1950 I would have those coin checked out.but I hope I am wrong.

It is also odd that almost all of the coins are dated in the 1880s, with the exception of the California piece and the two cents, and they were found in a 1930s to 50s style purse.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
litefire56 said:
Nice find! Weird that the fertility amulet was in there also. Never have heard about one being dug before on this side of the pond anyway,,,,

http://www.collector-antiquities.com/204/

It appears that the fertility amulet is a modern fake as well--perhaps a poor copy of a Roman amulet.

dasherhunting

Jul 8, 2008
ohio
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Geesh bb way to go I was awestruck at this find till I started reading and the further I got the more suspect I got hmmmmm.

OP
OP
kwdstalker

kwdstalker

Jun 11, 2008
edgar nebraska
Detector(s) used
garrett ultra gta 500 garrett 250 ace and gti2500
BuckleBoy said:
art of fact said:

It is also odd that almost all of the coins are dated in the 1880s, with the exception of the California piece and the two cents, and they were found in a 1930s to 50s style purse.
I want to thank all of you for kind words. as for the others I have no idea when it was lost but I took them to a coins dealer the 5 dollar coin is real and estimated value is around 600 bucks he was not sure on the cal gold they were made by jewelers because there was no mints there at the time so there are many different styles but it is 22k gold, the Mexican coins are called love tokens but are 22k also he said they were made from the late 1800’s to early 1900’s.the pendent and ring are silver. The coin purse is as hard as a rock it has split seams on the 2 half’s when I opened it the threads at the top fell apart. That is why I don’t post any of my finds there is all ways a few that think it’s not real or made up but I listened to my brother this time and the last time. So if the moderator wants to remove it fine with me. Again I want to thank you for you kind words.
Kim

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kwdstalker said:
BuckleBoy said:
art of fact said:

That is why I don’t post any of my finds there is all ways a few that think it’s not real or made up but I listened to my brother this time and the last time. So if the moderator wants to remove it fine with me. Again I want to thank you for you kind words.
Kim

Geesh! And I thought I was helping by giving you that information on the fake Mexican gold. :-\ That's ok, I will let other folks ID your finds in the future.

Have a Nice Day!

-Buck

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kwdstalker said:
BuckleBoy said:
art of fact said:

I want to thank all of you for kind words. as for the others I have no idea when it was lost but I took them to a coins dealer the 5 dollar coin is real and estimated value is around 600 bucks he was not sure on the cal gold they were made by jewelers because there was no mints there at the time so there are many different styles but it is 22k gold, the Mexican coins are called love tokens but are 22k also he said they were made from the late 1800’s to early 1900’s.the pendent and ring are silver. The coin purse is as hard as a rock it has split seams on the 2 half’s when I opened it the threads at the top fell apart. That is why I don’t post any of my finds there is all ways a few that think it’s not real or made up but I listened to my brother this time and the last time. So if the moderator wants to remove it fine with me. Again I want to thank you for you kind words.
Kim

Do I read this correctly. The Cal Gold was tested as 22k gold :icon_thumright: I was sure this would be one of those fantasy type tokens, however, if it is real gold then it could fall into another bracket as it has no 'copy' stamped on it.

Its not that people don't believe you found this, as I totally believe you did. Its just that we have many coin savy experts on here, who can spot strange things with most coins. I'm one who thinks this was lost but might be a kids treasure purse, which would explain the date difference with the purse & coins.

Do you have any theories?

I would melt down those gold coins (cal & Mex), as they maybe made to fool & selling them as coins may get you in trouble. Just my opinion.

A

art of fact

I am sorry if I offended you in any way I was only trying to help. My specialty is antiqueties and I noticed that the purse was from a different time. Actually what I believe and didnt want to say because personaly it would upset me even though that wasnt there intention is that someone in your family or a (friend) probably planted it there,Again I did not mean to offend you and I dont think that anyone else did either,I guess it all depends on how you percieve it.Nice finds all the same. Art Of Fact

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am glad that the cal token was tested 22k. I have never seen one like that before.

goldeagle

Jun 28, 2009
THE EAST COAST
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,EXCAL-II
wow awesome finds thats a once in a lifetime congrats.to you friend.i wonder if the key is for a chest filled with more gold somewhere on the property?go get em

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread