Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And I thought beaches were only good for sinkers and clad.

Who would have thought?

Anyway I went to beaches in Delaware, Maryland and Virginia in the last week. I visited six different spots. Most were pretty clean, unfortunately. I got no jewelry whatsoever. Once upon a time ago I had taken my small boat along the bay and the Potomac (not telling where this was found, sorry!), and had spotted some conceivable house collapses from the boat and from beaching it and finding some early glass and stuff along the banks. Well, over the last few days I went to three beaches. The first one was known for shark's teeth and I didn't do very well, got a few small ones. Second beach has larger teeth but I only found a few Hemiprisis teeth and the "fake" one I posted on previously.

The last beach had been hit by another MD'er. So I went to plan "B" and started looking closer to the parking lot and trail leading to the beach. I then started getting pull tabs, aluminum foil, a couple sinkers, and just a few pieces of clad. I then found one silver US coin about the size of a dime, but it was so far gone from the salt water it crumbled to almost dust! It must have been old, in order to do that. The silver coins we get at beaches are ususally corroded beyond redemption.

I was getting ready to leave and decided to use the Deus' small size loop to detect between a rock and a hard spot. I got a decent but aluminum foil range, but dug it anyway, I generally do this. Look what popped up. Of course, this was the day I had left my cell at my house, so I felt almost nekked without it and couldn't do an in situ pic. The following day I did get some nice pics from a nearby site in Virginia, here's some cool cliffs!

IMG_0821.JPG IMG_0822.JPG

Toy from a nearby spot: IMG_0842.JPG

Sharks tooth from a visit a few years ago: IMG_0841.JPG

Cliffs along the river, about 20 miles away: IMG_0843.JPG IMG_0844.JPG

Since Deus did that newest upgrade it rocks in salt water.

Upvote 138
OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Four gold coins in my lifetime. Three in the last 5 years. Two found with the Deus, two with the Tesoro Cibola.

There are numerous shipwrecks off the Atlantic seaboard. Spanish coins especially are found from way up north Prince Edward Island and all the way down to the Caribbean and even South America.

Sometimes dredgng Atlantic beaches brings them up. I think this one was NOT from a shipwreck, but probably from Civil War period coastal defenses, or maybe just civilian. It's kind of pointless to put any provenance on an item without better evidence, and in this case, no other CW items were found nearby. Just some clad, sinkers and junk iron.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
A small gold coin like that would hit just like small bits of trash. Super well done! BANNER

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a matter of fact, that's exactly how it rang up. Like one of those pieces of folded up aluminum foil, about 3/4" square that people make for some reason.

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Truly amazing. What a mind blowing find. I would love to see this on the banner as well. Thank you for the inspiration! I hope I will be so fortunate to find a gold coin in my lifetime, much less 5!

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
People ask how gold rings up. Well, it rings up unexpectedly and sounds like a larger piece of solid aluminum. Hence my dig it all motto.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BANNER SMOKEY wow you deserve it Boom baby there it is awesome find..........

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super cool and great date.

Banner in my book all day long.

Well done Smokey.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And I'm STILL NOT GOING TO ADMIT the $5 Liberty head is STILL LOST in the house! I may have given it to my daughter, but I can't remember squat anymore.

I remember digging stuff, and can picture the moment - but not the YEAR anymore. I have been writing it down with the finds these days.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats Smokey,

As tiny as it is, the $1 gold was both easy to lose and always hard to find. I wonder how many of us have walked right over one of these, totally unaware because it sank just beyond detecting depth. Gold means banner - and especially pre-CW gold.

I've made some fun finds, but never a gold coin and I am at peace with never finding one in the future.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was getting tired and almost didn't dig the signal. It was not deep, you generally don't get these deep, the deepest ring I got with the Tesoro was probably 12" down, but it was a big ring.

Best gold coin was on top of the sand at a beach. This one, probably 3-4" in dry sand.

Thank you all for the comments. After I got home I slept the rest of the day.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I remember digging stuff, and can picture the moment - but not the YEAR anymore. I have been writing it down with the finds these days.

I understand that!!! Completely! At 70, sometimes I need to remember to wake up each morning. Otherwise, don't give a rat's butt....

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deepseeker, I was going to a meeting at church last Wednesday. It's always on Wednesday. So on the way over I ask the guy at the convenience store what day it is...

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sizzling.....smoking hot....amazing, amazing find Smokey!!!! Looks like some pretty country too. Congrats!

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome find smokey. Still on my list. Congratulations!

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are one lucky emmer effer! I cannot imagine. Banner.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Anyone else get tired of all the great stuff Smokey finds?
Why not me?

No Jeff, never will. Smokey inspires all of us to get out and do it. Not doing well on that this past season......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread