Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And I thought beaches were only good for sinkers and clad.

Who would have thought?

Anyway I went to beaches in Delaware, Maryland and Virginia in the last week. I visited six different spots. Most were pretty clean, unfortunately. I got no jewelry whatsoever. Once upon a time ago I had taken my small boat along the bay and the Potomac (not telling where this was found, sorry!), and had spotted some conceivable house collapses from the boat and from beaching it and finding some early glass and stuff along the banks. Well, over the last few days I went to three beaches. The first one was known for shark's teeth and I didn't do very well, got a few small ones. Second beach has larger teeth but I only found a few Hemiprisis teeth and the "fake" one I posted on previously.

The last beach had been hit by another MD'er. So I went to plan "B" and started looking closer to the parking lot and trail leading to the beach. I then started getting pull tabs, aluminum foil, a couple sinkers, and just a few pieces of clad. I then found one silver US coin about the size of a dime, but it was so far gone from the salt water it crumbled to almost dust! It must have been old, in order to do that. The silver coins we get at beaches are ususally corroded beyond redemption.

I was getting ready to leave and decided to use the Deus' small size loop to detect between a rock and a hard spot. I got a decent but aluminum foil range, but dug it anyway, I generally do this. Look what popped up. Of course, this was the day I had left my cell at my house, so I felt almost nekked without it and couldn't do an in situ pic. The following day I did get some nice pics from a nearby site in Virginia, here's some cool cliffs!

IMG_0821.JPG IMG_0822.JPG

Toy from a nearby spot: IMG_0842.JPG

Sharks tooth from a visit a few years ago: IMG_0841.JPG

Cliffs along the river, about 20 miles away: IMG_0843.JPG IMG_0844.JPG

Since Deus did that newest upgrade it rocks in salt water.

Upvote 138

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats smokey.....made it up there in record time !! Looks nice up top too.

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030 (17", 11", 6" coils), Minelab Excalibur 800, Minelab Excalibur 1000 (w/OBN's Remote Pinpoint mod and CTX headphone connector)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Incredible find Smokey! Congrats on that beauty! Ya just never know when or where lightning will strike!

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This one was kind of squirreled away where a big loop would not go! That 5" wide loop got it though. The Tesoro for sure would have picked it up and I would have dug it, so the results would have been the same. I should use the Tesoro more these days. It whimpers when left alone.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Peyton, two gold coins were found in the field we were in a few years ago. I got 1 Spanish and a friend got 1 US $1 pre Civil War, I forget which year, 1851 or 2 I think.

Boat has been purchased! View attachment 1755635 Picking it up tomorrow and will take it out next week. The green one. The blue and white one won't "beach" correctly.

I have had a so so year. I lost weeks and weeks to medical stuff. I am shy on gold rings and silver coins for sure. The shark's teeth were tiny. But when you lose just about the whole summer, that's what happens. I don't think I've dug a CW relic since April or May.

Well I guess I have at least been near a gold coin!

MrBlueSkyNM

Apr 18, 2016
New Mexico
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Teknetics T2 Classic
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! That’s amazing! Beautiful coin!

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Peyton, at least people on 20 different occasions walked within a few feet of that coin, including me! I know I must have circled it ten times over two years, so don't feel bad. That's what happens when the farmer brings up new soil once or twice a year and we have 55 acres of it! No one has braved the woods to this day. Monsters and all! Actually, there are so many pieces of farm trash there, it's hard and dangerous to walk there.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Announcement! I am now doubly dangerous! I just got my new boat ready to go. All I have to do is add gas and take off. First trips will be for sharks teeth from places it's too hard for me to go to from land.

Castineman1779

Apr 30, 2013
Maine
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, DFX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Announcement! I am now doubly dangerous! I just got my new boat ready to go. All I have to do is add gas and take off. First trips will be for sharks teeth from places it's too hard for me to go to from land.
Deb- Congrats and u go girl finding that little gold coin. BTW on the Deus reading tin foil close to gold that is a fact since my next to last target at my site where the gold guinea was found in was a pull tab. 2 feet away I was sure the last target was as well two minutes later but was the 25mm gold coin. Many have asked how was that was missed by others and the answer is no doubt a junk reading . BTW on a Deus a Lincoln cent and King George copper both reading high 90's and proven yesterday when I pulled out a King George 11 right next to a Lincoln. In the old days before VDI's and all this fancy stuff u dug everything. Yup a pain in the keister but u missed nothing. My opinion dig it all anyway since the secondary benefit of THing is exercise. BTW if u dug that gold beauty a week ago and now Banner u should get a banner for a Banner. Also Deb last note since u can now hunt by land and sea ever think about taking up sky diving to add air to that? I can just see up 8000 feet with a rip cord in one hand and a collapsed Deus in the other. LOL. G

Last edited:
OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Castineman1779, does a drone count? Thinking about one to scope out beaches from the boat.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have friends who have drones and use them to find schools of fish and other things. With the crashes, it becomes an expensive hobby. I bring binoculars on boats and that is all i want. If I knew how to use a drone with little chance of destroying it, I would be using it to find foundations and other indications of structures. When i regularly flew as the biologist/co-pilot of the state Bell Jet Ranger (sadly, auctioned off for pennies on the dollar) over plowed fields, I could see the charcoal and pieces of rubble foundation and bricks from the British destruction of waterfront towns along the Chesapeake's shores in 1814.

Last edited:

ROIGuy

Jun 9, 2019
Palos Park, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600/ Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the BANNER Smokey! Man... great find.
Peace :coffee2:

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love it smokey, congrats!

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I only destroyed one drone. They are better now. The 2nd cheaper one I had we used for a movie.

TimberCrack

Jul 30, 2013
wyoming
Detector(s) used
white's 6000/D coin master
White's MXT
Garrettt ACE 250
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow..Congrats on the gold coin...still waiting to find my first gold coin.....

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the Banner Smokey. Nice going.

nov2101

Jul 6, 2012
NW CT
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3i with 2x3" eclipse, 6" DD,12" DD & 12"Hot shot.
Minelab CTX 3030 with 6" DD. 11"& 17"
2@Vibebra pin point probes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow over 4k value...nice find

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread