What's new

gold coin?

bcboy

Full Member
Joined
Nov 2, 2006
Messages
119
Reaction score
163
Golden Thread
1
Location
British Columbia
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000
I found this gold coin a month ago, its the size of a dime. Its pretty worn but some of its detail is still visible. On one side it looks like a body with arms and on the other side it looks like a persons head. I found this in the ocean with my detector in Canada. Im not sure if its a coin or not but mabey someone can identify it? Thank you.
 

Attachments

  • 032.webp
    032.webp
    21.8 KB · Views: 368
  • 033.webp
    033.webp
    15.6 KB · Views: 347
HOLA amigo - this was just going to be a tag post, but I would say it is more likely bronze than gold, for gold will not corrode or rust even in salt water. It is an interesting find! :icon_thumleft:
Oroblanco
 
Upvote 0
Clean it up a bit and repost pics. Object size please.
 
Upvote 0
It is a cool find, but it almost looks like that coin has two heads :icon_scratch: The first image seems to be a person standing with arms spread, the second is clearly a profile :dontknow:
 
Upvote 0
I'm leaning more toward a medallion than a coin, perhaps religious, based on the three "culls" or protrusions on the edge. Interesting piece though...
 
Upvote 0
The image reminds me of a 'man of the cloth' giving the Benediction; as here:

http://www.wagner.edu/news/sites/wagner.edu.news/files/images/Baccalaureate%20benediction%202007%20(web).jpg
 
Upvote 0
looks like a HARDIANVS dupondius ..man holding two standards..
 
Upvote 0
Bcboy, I think what you have is the common depiction of the Ma dona, which would make it likely that it was St. Francis on the verso. The remains of three prongs seem to indicate it was part of another piece where it joined, perhaps a rosary. These Franciscan medals date back very far (17th century) and their devices haven't changed much over the next couple hundred years. (*If you scroll through this link you will find a rosery which shows how they were sometimes joined by a medal with three eyelets. ) http://images.google.com/imgres?img...+medal&ndsp=21&hl=en&rlz=1T4GGLL_en&sa=G&um=1
 

Attachments

  • madona.webp
    madona.webp
    53.1 KB · Views: 250
Upvote 0
I agree with the rosary :icon_thumright:
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom