gold detecting through glass

bfloyd4445

May 18, 2015
Sacramento Ca. or Drain Or. USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm an extreme newby to gold prospecting with a detector but have been looking for gold for 50 years. I'm playing around trying to get my GAT gold to see gold in a glass vial. I've just turned it on and then went intoi the front yard finding a key i lost twenty years ago that i can still use:thumbsup:.... So i tried to get it to find a vial of placer gold and it has trouble. Is that because of the glass?

Upvote 0

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
more likely its because of the volume of gold and the fact that it is small individual pieces.the same true for necklaces,the machine sees the links individually.make sure your in 0 desc.mode

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Detectors see many small pieces of gold in a vial as just that, many small pieces. It will pick up a nugget the same size no problem.

OP
OP
bfloyd4445

bfloyd4445

May 18, 2015
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Other
Detectors see many small pieces of gold in a vial as just that, many small pieces. It will pick up a nugget the same size no problem.

one of the peices in the vial is a 1.2 size nugget. Total of4.2 grams of gold that i thought would be large enough quantity to show up.
Gonna go try the vial on a different detector today. Thanks you qall for the tips.

Mick93

Feb 27, 2008
MidWest
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
I'm an extreme newby to gold prospecting with a detector but have been looking for gold for 50 years. I'm playing around trying to get my GAT gold to see gold in a glass vial. I've just turned it on and then went intoi the front yard finding a key i lost twenty years ago that i can still use:thumbsup:.... So i tried to get it to find a vial of placer gold and it has trouble. Is that because of the glass?

Look in the cap of your vial,,,many have an aluminum foil for the seal that will mess with your detector.

BadM0nkey

Apr 28, 2013
Andover, NJ
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE Limited Edition
Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a small vial of gold I panned out in Virginia. Detector can't see it but no problem with a small nugget.

OP
OP
bfloyd4445

bfloyd4445

May 18, 2015
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Other
I did, thanks very much for the suggestion, no foil. Went to a detector shop today and the same gold rang load and clear on three different machines. Need to check and see if I'm doing something wrong or maybe a defective unit. Most likely just me. One of the machines today was the exact same machine as mine except it had a tiny sniper coil on it. I was gonna try my machine when i got home but have been on the net answering emails:occasion14:

OP
OP
bfloyd4445

bfloyd4445

May 18, 2015
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Other
the vial i used had two nuggets in it of 1.4 grams and the total was I think 3.4 grams. We tryed a single tiny flake hardly visable today at the shop and the GAT gold saw it easy. But not in glass. I'm gonna do some experimenting and will post results here maybe tomorrow. I have plenty of gold samples and lots of coins and other metals to play with. I've wondered about the ability of a detector to see gold silver in glass jars with plastic lids tomorrow if i have time i will find out.

Kamorle

Jun 26, 2013
I have had the same experience with my AT gold.. I never thought the glass could be the issue :O

OP
OP
bfloyd4445

bfloyd4445

May 18, 2015
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Other
I found out i was using a plastic vial and today it reads fine on the same gold sample. I think in my case it was me:icon_scratch:...Every where i go I run into people that swera by the at gold for gold prospecting that why i bought on. When i had the above issue I had just taken it out of the box and turned it on for the first time. We should start an AT gold thred maybe, what do you think?

Kamorle

Jun 26, 2013
I think you should try the sample in the glass again.. I too found that out of the glass container the gold read fine. Not sure if a AT gold thread is necessary because the Garrett brand thread kinda covers it all. The AT gold is also a excellent coin shooter and jewelry finder in parks and such I found. I to bought it for prospecting and quickly became addicted to the whole metal detecting scene so much so that prospecting took 2nd place in my hobbies.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bfloyd4445

bfloyd4445

May 18, 2015
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Other
I think you should try the sample in the glass again.. I too found that out of the glass container the gold read fine. Not sure if a AT gold thread is necessary because the Garrett brand thread kinda covers it all. The AT gold is also a excellent coin shooter and jewelry finder in parks and such I found. I to bought it for prospecting and quickly became addicted to the whole metal detecting scene so much so that prospecting took 2nd place in my hobbies.

there is lots of info on the AT gold as it seems to be a very popular machine. I need to learn it I have only had it for a week and used it for maybe twenty minutes finding one thing a key i lost many years ago that i still have locks for.
Have you found any nuggettS

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread