Gold Deterioration

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Dowsing Rods and a Ranger Tell Examiner
I will not post my answer on the skeptic thread......As a gold miner for over 20 years I will tell you some facts about gold. Gold is not pure until it is refined. To get the pretty color that we all know to be gold it is heated or cleaned with vinegar and salt. If you leave it exposed to air after cleaning it will corrode and turn dull. That is why most gold is in glass containers of water. If you skeptics want to learn something about gold I think you should make some rods from coat hangers and go find some. As for gold leaving a signal in a hole after it has been removed I have read about this. If I ever dig an empty hole I will tell you about it
....Art

Attachments

• P1010024.JPG
    P1010024.JPG
    81.4 KB · Views: 560

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
aarthrj3811 said:
If you leave it exposed to air after cleaning it will corrode and turn dull.

Are you talking about pure gold?

That is why most gold is in glass containers of water.

Hmmmm.... I always thought it was to magnify the flakes, to make 'em look more impressive.

- Carl

OP
OP
aarthrj3811

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
The best assay report I received was 98% and the lowest was 82%. Gold nuggets with some granite attached will sell for a little more. Placer gold comes in many shades according to what it is mixed with. If you want gold to look a lot bigger put it vegtable oil...Art

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry you missed my question, Art... I'll ask again.

Are you claiming that gold, when exposed to air, will "corrode and turn dull"?

- Carl

OP
OP
aarthrj3811

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Hey Carl......I don't know much about pure gold but when it comes to placer gold and nuggets I have a lot of knowledge. If you clean a nugget and let it sit for 6 months it will dull. I have never found a gold coin but have found a few gold rings and they all came out of the ground with a dull finish. When getting the micro gold out of black sand you should soak it in vinegar and salt so it is clean and the mercury can grab it. Take your 1 lb bar of gold and soak it in vinegar and salt for a couple of days. This will return the gold to it's natural color.....Art

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
aarthrj3811 said:
Take your 1 lb bar of gold and soak it in vinegar and salt for a couple of days. This will return the gold to it's natural color.....Art

Despite years of exposure to air, my gold bars are precisely the same color as the day they were made. Gold does not corrode.

- Carl

OP
OP
aarthrj3811

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Well Carl...I don't know what to tell you...I guess we will just have to disagree on this. Maybe all these Jewelry Stores are cheating people when they clean gold rings. Maybe if you would clean your gold bar you would see for yourself that it had changed color..........Art

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dell Winders said:
Ever see a gold ring worn on a lady's finger that hasn't been cleaned?

Yup, it can get dirty... but the gold doesn't corrode.

Ever vied your Gold bar under a microscope to see if any pits are forming?

No pits.

Ever see gold that was black when it came up out of the ground?

Yup, alloyed with silver, which causes the black discoloration. Copper alloyed with gold can cause green discoloration*. The gold itself doesn't corrode.

Ever see coral encrustation?adhere to?23k gold?

Does coral only encrust metals that corrode?

Ever see bacteria carry gold on it's back as a protection against other types of bacteria? etc, etc.

Nope... does it prove that gold corrodes?

C'mon guys, surely you can do better than this...

- Carl

* But even US gold coins, with 10% copper, don't exhibit copper oxidation. A gold coin buried for 100 years will come out looking the same as the day it was buried.

AzSports

Feb 16, 2005
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
White's Gold Master, Garrett Infinium
Carl-NC said:
"But even US gold coins, with 10% copper, don't exhibit copper oxidation."

Jeeez, I never knew that!
I've been buying ounce gold coins for some years now, and always casually wondered why the Maple leafs were a shade off the Eagles and the K rands. Like a fool, I'd buy them anyway.
Now I am pleased to learn after searching the Leaf is 24 k, the others are 91/9 or something, but they are 10 percent heavier (apx) to still contain that ounce of gold! They are all clean and shiny, of course, as are the old ones. Thanks.

My favorite one of all is a Maple Leaf my daughter bit, like Underdog did, leaving her toothmarks!

OP
OP
aarthrj3811

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
If you leave it exposed to air after cleaning it will corrode and turn dull.

I guess I put one word in my original post ( corrode ) that was in error. I stand by my statement that if you leave a gold nugget sitting in the air it will dull over time. If you find two nugget?s and clean one of them there is a big difference in color. The gold coins and rings I have dug were not shinny and took a lot of time to clean. Thanks for the links Cfm?.Art

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions