Upvote 0

NuggetN8

Mar 13, 2012
Northern California
Detector(s) used
SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Usually when your closer to the source instead of rounded gold you find very crunchy rough looking pieces. I think that flake gold can travel a long way since its flat and lighter. I'll try to find a pic of what that crunchy gold looks like.

NuggetN8

Mar 13, 2012
Northern California
Detector(s) used
SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Can't find a picture but it would look like a piece of aluminum foil crumpled up but way smaller.(and gold colored)

OP
OP
mattfink

mattfink

Dec 23, 2012
Cottage Grove, MN
Detector(s) used
minelab equinox 800
Minelab excalibur ii
Whites surfmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah i know what crunchy gold looks like I was just curious about flakes since I usually don't find them... :)

B H Prospector

Feb 2, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Usually the flakier the gold the farther away from the source, It has bee beaten to pieces and mashed. The closer to the source the bigger the pieces and rougher or courser the gold will be.

Astrobouncer

Jun 21, 2009
Square and crystalline is close to the source, like the gold in my video here (around 7:40 or so you can really make them out):

Last edited:

MadMarshall

Nov 12, 2012
na
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What source? All depends on the area you are digging... did your river or creek cut thru another ancient gold bearing river? or is the area known for lode deposits ect ect....
I go to this place and it never fails to treat me well..I have done well in this spot!! 90%of the gold is dust every once in a while I get a chunkie or a decent picker but not often..Anyway behind me there is a narrow channel with mostly sand.. it cuts up the mountain that is filled with sand and broken rock and very small river rock. and I have sampled this channel for about 30 feet or so and the buckets were all dusted well in gold..But its also a pretty steep grade and alot of brush, ticks and thorns..I have been up there a few times and regretted every trip but if you go high enough river rock will start to appear..and down river about a quarter mile ,the whole cliff side is old river bed and up river just around the bend there is evidence of a channel...but my source I think it is an old bend in the river long forgotten and I just found where it happens to run off into the new course of the river.. But who knows? I really need to kidnap a geologist for a few days....

TAKODA

Aug 19, 2008
Alabama
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you're finding flake gold does that mean the source is nearby. I tried a new spot and the gold I was finding was thin and wants to float unlike the rounded pieces I find.

" If you're finding flake gold does that mean the source is nearby."

No .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread