GOLD for the first time in years (1883 Gold Ring identified )

gtoast99

Jun 28, 2010
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm usually looking for CW relics, but today I got something a little different. It was fun seeing that shiny yellow metal in the hole! It's been a long time coming.

I've posted a picture of the two hallmarks which indicate 18k but I was hoping some experts might chime in if the style or particular marks might give some idea of age. Thoughts anyone? The spot it was found has 200 years of use, so I don't know.

There are hand etched initials inside as well, and I'll be looking to return it to an owner if it's modern. If it's older it might be more challenging, but I will still try to narrow down who it might have belonged to.

Thanks for looking and happy hunting!

UPDATE - so I have to let you all in on something. I withheld one tiny bit of information so I could get some unbiased opinions on the age of this ring without swaying anyone's opinion. Remember how I said there are hand scratched initials inside? Well, there are two numbers in between them - almost certainly the year they were married. I wish they had used the full year, now I know the year but not the century!! So in any case, the letters are 83. I think this thread has pretty well ruled out 1983. So I'm left with 1883 or 1783. There has been some excellent feedback in this thread, but I'm still not sure which century. I'm leaning towards 1883, but not sure. I have found flat buttons and tombac here before, so who knows.

In any case I'm going to set up a meeting with an expert in antique and estate jewelry here soon. I probably won't be able to until some time in the middle of next week though. The initials are hard to read (lightly hand scratched in fancy cursive) so hopefully the expert can read them better with a loupe. I wish I could get them to photograph, but I had a hard enough time getting a good pic of the stamps! Once the expert hopefully confirms 1883 or 1783, I'll start looking at marriage rolls for that year for the initials inside.

Sometimes when you dig something up, the digging has only just begun! Stay tuned for more updates as I get them!

Attachments

• IMG_20151014_190459.jpg
    IMG_20151014_190459.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 238
  • IMG_20151014_211959.jpg
    IMG_20151014_211959.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 240
Last edited:
Upvote 17

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

AndyE89

Nov 19, 2013
Cresco, Iowa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
18k? It looks like 18ct (english hallmark) and the crown signifying the assay office?

OP
OP
gtoast99

gtoast99

Jun 28, 2010
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
18k? It looks like 18ct (english hallmark) and the crown signifying the assay office?

It just says 18 with the crown representing gold. The 18 is pretty sharp but the crown doesn't have a lot of details in its design. Not sure what that means about age. Lol

Thanks!

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the ring find. Always nice when there is gold in the hole.

NEPADIGGER7

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2013
Downtown Lehman
Detector(s) used
minelab safari,whites m6, AT Pro, Ace 250 and whites coin master, Garrett AT propointer (garrett carrot), Lesche hand digger, 5x8 & 8.5x11 DD coils for the Pro, Camera is Ion Air Pro 3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
def 18K man great find congrats!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice piece of gold, the age is hard to determine as the crown signifies that it's gold, though the crown is a old style so the ring has some age to it, congrats on the find.

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Congratz on a great ring!

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful older band, congratulations. Sub 8-)

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Big Congrads on the OldGold!!

I have one similar I got this year from a area that has given me two others stunning golds. I have got coins from this area dated from 1861 to 1887

OBN0341.jpg

Last edited:

AndyE89

Nov 19, 2013
Cresco, Iowa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From 1798 to 1975 all gold was to be hallmarked using english ct or c. And from 1798 to 1854 the only gold required to be hallmarked by the assay office was 18ct to 22ct. So one would assume without the ct marking but with the crown, this ring would probably fall into the earlier years. Very nice ring.

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tony that ring is awesome! :thumbsup:

But you need to adjust your profile and add that bad boy GPX to go with the duct tape special. :laughing9:

OP
OP
gtoast99

gtoast99

Jun 28, 2010
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks so much for the replies everyone!! I've got an update and a confession below...

UPDATE - so I have to let you all in on something. I withheld one tiny bit of information so I could get some unbiased opinions on the age of this ring without swaying anyone's opinion. Remember how I said there are hand scratched initials inside? Well, there are two numbers in between them - almost certainly the year they were married. I wish they had used the full year, now I know the year but not the century!! So in any case, the letters are 83. I think this thread has pretty well ruled out 1983. So I'm left with 1883 or 1783. There has been some excellent feedback in this thread, but I'm still not sure which century. I'm leaning towards 1883, but not sure. I have found flat buttons and tombac here before, so who knows.

In any case I'm going to set up a meeting with an expert in antique and estate jewelry here soon. I probably won't be able to until some time in the middle of next week though. The initials are hard to read (lightly hand scratched in fancy cursive) so hopefully the expert can read them better with a loupe. I wish I could get them to photograph, but I had a hard enough time getting a good pic of the stamps! Once the expert hopefully confirms 1883 or 1783, I'll start looking at marriage rolls for that year for the initials inside.

Sometimes when you dig something up, the digging has only just begun! Stay tuned for more updates as I get them!

The Urban Prospector

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Wherever I am.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado,
Garrett AT Pro,
Minelab Excal II,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Nokta Legend,
Garrett Pro Pointer,