What's new

GOLD for the first time in years (1883 Gold Ring identified )

gtoast99

Sr. Member
Joined
Jun 28, 2010
Messages
276
Reaction score
571
Golden Thread
2
Location
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
2
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm usually looking for CW relics, but today I got something a little different. It was fun seeing that shiny yellow metal in the hole! It's been a long time coming.

I've posted a picture of the two hallmarks which indicate 18k but I was hoping some experts might chime in if the style or particular marks might give some idea of age. Thoughts anyone? The spot it was found has 200 years of use, so I don't know.

There are hand etched initials inside as well, and I'll be looking to return it to an owner if it's modern. If it's older it might be more challenging, but I will still try to narrow down who it might have belonged to.

Thanks for looking and happy hunting!

UPDATE - so I have to let you all in on something. I withheld one tiny bit of information so I could get some unbiased opinions on the age of this ring without swaying anyone's opinion. Remember how I said there are hand scratched initials inside? Well, there are two numbers in between them - almost certainly the year they were married. I wish they had used the full year, now I know the year but not the century!! So in any case, the letters are 83. I think this thread has pretty well ruled out 1983. So I'm left with 1883 or 1783. There has been some excellent feedback in this thread, but I'm still not sure which century. I'm leaning towards 1883, but not sure. I have found flat buttons and tombac here before, so who knows.

In any case I'm going to set up a meeting with an expert in antique and estate jewelry here soon. I probably won't be able to until some time in the middle of next week though. The initials are hard to read (lightly hand scratched in fancy cursive) so hopefully the expert can read them better with a loupe. I wish I could get them to photograph, but I had a hard enough time getting a good pic of the stamps! Once the expert hopefully confirms 1883 or 1783, I'll start looking at marriage rolls for that year for the initials inside.

Sometimes when you dig something up, the digging has only just begun! Stay tuned for more updates as I get them!
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20151014_190459.webp
    IMG_20151014_190459.webp
    61.1 KB · Views: 283
  • IMG_20151014_211959.webp
    IMG_20151014_211959.webp
    14.1 KB · Views: 259
Last edited:
Upvote 34
18k? It looks like 18ct (english hallmark) and the crown signifying the assay office?
 
18k? It looks like 18ct (english hallmark) and the crown signifying the assay office?

It just says 18 with the crown representing gold. The 18 is pretty sharp but the crown doesn't have a lot of details in its design. Not sure what that means about age. Lol

Thanks!
 
Congrats on the ring find. Always nice when there is gold in the hole.
 
def 18K man great find congrats!
 
Nice piece of gold, the age is hard to determine as the crown signifies that it's gold, though the crown is a old style so the ring has some age to it, congrats on the find.
 
Congratz on a great ring!
 
Looks like some old gold right their..Congrats....:icon_thumright:
 
Beautiful older band, congratulations. Sub 8-)
 
Big Congrads on the OldGold!!

I have one similar I got this year from a area that has given me two others stunning golds. I have got coins from this area dated from 1861 to 1887

OBN0341.webp
 
Last edited:
From 1798 to 1975 all gold was to be hallmarked using english ct or c. And from 1798 to 1854 the only gold required to be hallmarked by the assay office was 18ct to 22ct. So one would assume without the ct marking but with the crown, this ring would probably fall into the earlier years. Very nice ring.
 
beautiful gold! I'd say it should fall into the 1800s, but am not too sure at all.
 
Tony that ring is awesome! :thumbsup:

But you need to adjust your profile and add that bad boy GPX to go with the duct tape special. :laughing9:
 
Thanks so much for the replies everyone!! I've got an update and a confession below...

UPDATE - so I have to let you all in on something. I withheld one tiny bit of information so I could get some unbiased opinions on the age of this ring without swaying anyone's opinion. Remember how I said there are hand scratched initials inside? Well, there are two numbers in between them - almost certainly the year they were married. I wish they had used the full year, now I know the year but not the century!! So in any case, the letters are 83. I think this thread has pretty well ruled out 1983. So I'm left with 1883 or 1783. There has been some excellent feedback in this thread, but I'm still not sure which century. I'm leaning towards 1883, but not sure. I have found flat buttons and tombac here before, so who knows.

In any case I'm going to set up a meeting with an expert in antique and estate jewelry here soon. I probably won't be able to until some time in the middle of next week though. The initials are hard to read (lightly hand scratched in fancy cursive) so hopefully the expert can read them better with a loupe. I wish I could get them to photograph, but I had a hard enough time getting a good pic of the stamps! Once the expert hopefully confirms 1883 or 1783, I'll start looking at marriage rolls for that year for the initials inside.

Sometimes when you dig something up, the digging has only just begun! Stay tuned for more updates as I get them!
 
Congrats on the old gold. Well done!
 
Great find ! I think 1883 is right on the money , just a hunch .
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom