GOLD for the first time in years (1883 Gold Ring identified )

gtoast99

Jun 28, 2010
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm usually looking for CW relics, but today I got something a little different. It was fun seeing that shiny yellow metal in the hole! It's been a long time coming.

I've posted a picture of the two hallmarks which indicate 18k but I was hoping some experts might chime in if the style or particular marks might give some idea of age. Thoughts anyone? The spot it was found has 200 years of use, so I don't know.

There are hand etched initials inside as well, and I'll be looking to return it to an owner if it's modern. If it's older it might be more challenging, but I will still try to narrow down who it might have belonged to.

Thanks for looking and happy hunting!

UPDATE - so I have to let you all in on something. I withheld one tiny bit of information so I could get some unbiased opinions on the age of this ring without swaying anyone's opinion. Remember how I said there are hand scratched initials inside? Well, there are two numbers in between them - almost certainly the year they were married. I wish they had used the full year, now I know the year but not the century!! So in any case, the letters are 83. I think this thread has pretty well ruled out 1983. So I'm left with 1883 or 1783. There has been some excellent feedback in this thread, but I'm still not sure which century. I'm leaning towards 1883, but not sure. I have found flat buttons and tombac here before, so who knows.

In any case I'm going to set up a meeting with an expert in antique and estate jewelry here soon. I probably won't be able to until some time in the middle of next week though. The initials are hard to read (lightly hand scratched in fancy cursive) so hopefully the expert can read them better with a loupe. I wish I could get them to photograph, but I had a hard enough time getting a good pic of the stamps! Once the expert hopefully confirms 1883 or 1783, I'll start looking at marriage rolls for that year for the initials inside.

Sometimes when you dig something up, the digging has only just begun! Stay tuned for more updates as I get them!

Attachments

• IMG_20151014_190459.jpg
    IMG_20151014_190459.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 238
  • IMG_20151014_211959.jpg
    IMG_20151014_211959.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 240
Last edited:
Upvote 17

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Super nice and chunky 18kt Gold find! While most often the Crown preceded the Gold purity (i.e. 18) mark or the Crown was over top of the purity mark from 1798 to 1974 for Gold with a fineness of 18kt for jewelry made in England, it is not unreasonable that a Goldsmith might place the Crown after the Gold fineness mark. It is also quite possible that the Goldsmith that made the ring was not wealthy, so he or she made their' own Crown stamp which may explain why the Crown on your' ring find does not have the appearance of the normal Crown used. Therefore, I believe that the ring would have to date to 1883!

Silver, gold and platinum hall-marks and hallmarking in England Scotland Ireland from 1300 to present time

Frank

OP
OP
gtoast99

gtoast99

Jun 28, 2010
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks everyone!! I took it in today to a jewelry shop that specializes in antique and estate jewelry. And he came to the same conclusion that you all did. The markings and construction are fitting for a mid 19th century piece, and almost certainly not 1783 or 1983. So 1883 it is! My oldest gold :). Now to try and clarify the initials and see if I can track down who it belonged to!

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice gold. 1883 for sure.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wonderful that you are willing to attempt to find some family members associated with this ring ! That's the Real Treasure in a find
like that ! Good on you friend !!!

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
AWESOME FIND ...................................

OP
OP
gtoast99

gtoast99

Jun 28, 2010
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Find of a Lifetime: 1883 Gold Ring identified

Hey everyone!! So I posted this ring find last week, 18K found at an old site here in North Carolina. I wanted opinions on the hallmark to try and get some thoughts on how old it might be. But since I wanted unbiased opinions, I left out one detail - it was engraved with the last two numbers of a year. The full inscription reads "GWL To MFD 83". I recently had it checked out by a jeweler who specializes in antique and estate jewelry, who confirmed what you all told me - the "83" on the ring certainly refers to 1883. With that information, and two sets of initials, I set out to find information on the owners.

Well, here they are. George Whitfield Lasley married Mary Francis Duke on July 29, 1884. This was their engagement ring. Based on the location where it was found, I am 100% certain I have the correct match.

It is absolutely amazing to be able to tie an artifact from the ground to specific people more than a century ago. I'm glad to be able to tell their story and bring this ring back to life 132 years after it was presented.

There's plenty more information on my blog if you want to check it out. I'm hoping some members of the local community might be able to chime in with more information, and I will update the blog accordingly.

Thanks for reading, happy hunting, and God bless.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 114
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 376
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 123
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    34.2 KB · Views: 121
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 122

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would be crazy if you can find an old picture of them with their hands showing and the ring on his finger.
Amazing research, good job! :headbang:

Bquamb

Dec 29, 2014
Vancouver Island
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, EQ 800, AT-Pro, Xterra-505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So very very cool. Just the time that has passed and the things that have happened since it went miss sing always boggles my mind

Thumbs up.

Carl995

Apr 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is cool!!
Whats the next step? Find where their buried & bury it with them?
Or maybe they were buried where you found it, they just turned to dust?
That would complete the cycle.

Ron (CA)

Feb 1, 2005
Mechanicsville VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 , Deus 1 & 2,
Very cool recovery and great research--Congrats on finding the info to go along with the ring. I wrote an article for W&E treasures about "When Relics Talk" and it was along the same lines of what you are posting about!!

Great job!!

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030 (17", 11", 6" coils), Minelab Excalibur 800, Minelab Excalibur 1000 (w/OBN's Remote Pinpoint mod and CTX headphone connector)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is awesome man! Thanks for the great story!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
gtoast99

gtoast99

Jun 28, 2010
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is cool!!
Whats the next step? Find where their buried & bury it with them?
Or maybe they were buried where you found it, they just turned to dust?
That would complete the cycle.

I'm not sure what the next step is, to be honest. But I do know where they are buried. It's not far from where I work. I think I might visit the site on my lunch break if I get a chance.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's some great detective work if you visit the cemetery, you maybe able to find other members of their family who are also buried there. (That information may lead you to the Great Grand Children ). That would be something Good luck and Amazing Adventures.
I'm not sure what the next step is, to be honest. But I do know where they are buried. It's not far from where I work. I think I might visit the site on my lunch break if I get a chance.

JUNKER

Apr 7, 2012
SW FL,Copper Hill VA,Temple ME
Detector(s) used
XLT GrandmastercxIII Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find!!! That's what is nice about this hobby never know where it will take you. Thanks for sharing and HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread