Gold found on stream banks near New Market, Clark Co.

ken135

Sep 24, 2017
Indiana
Detector(s) used
F75LTD, G2+, Tesoro Mojave & Bandido 2 micro-max, Deep Tech GG & X
Primary Interest:
Other
This would be a good spot to pan for gold.

Gold & Silver found Haymaker JN at New Market, Clark Co Oct1878.JPG

I would start looking here.

Haymaker JN  New Market1875b.JPG

Don - thanks for input. Is the "X" where you were thinking? Seems to be several Haymakers with J.N. or I.N. initials. I thought previously that Sallie was married to J.N. Haymaker (in text) but it was Isaac N. Haymaker (in script). Both I.N. and J.N. were Captains, also. I'll do a little more research.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ken135

ken135

Sep 24, 2017
Indiana
Detector(s) used
F75LTD, G2+, Tesoro Mojave & Bandido 2 micro-max, Deep Tech GG & X
Primary Interest:
Other
Just to follow-up:
From information I could find on-line, the only J.N. Haymaker during this time period living near Clark Co. (including Eminence, KY area), was Jessie N. Haymaker. He was the grandson of John H. Haymaker (sec 161 of 1875 map). What I originally found was a James N Haymaker married to Sallie C. (sec 178), but when checking the original document, James was actually a very poorly written Isaac (son of John H.)

In 1878, when the original "Gold Found" was written, Jessie was living in the Eminence - Smithville Kentucky area. Also, the J. W. Haymaker in the article may have been Jessie's uncle, John Wesley (son of John H., above). So I believe the homestead mention in article is the land in sec 161. It also has a stream on it that empties into Fourteen Mile creek.

A couple of discrepancies? Jessie was 19 yrs old in 1878, probably not a Captain. Only Captain in the family that I found was Isaac N. (Sallie C. husband), therefore, Capt. I. N. Haymaker. Also, John H. died in 1882 so he probably still owned the homestead in 1878, not Jessie N. Haymaker.

Anyway, too much info. Go hunt the Polk Run creek in Oregon Twp.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread