Gold Hog Boar Box

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, my buddy went out and bought a Boar box from Gold Hog last week and to me if I had to choose, I'd buy the Gold Cube, which I do have. I just don't see the benefits of having the Boar box over any normal sluice or recirculation set up.
Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 4

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the link Reed. I haven’t heard anything about “Doc” in quite a while. Is he still posting anything online any more. Great products. I use his river sluice with various hog matts and really like it.
Mike

Last edited:

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Perhaps your friend decided not to catch much of the finer values and process a larger volume of material in stead hoping to get the best returns?
Running a test on the same material to find out what size adds up the most could show what type of setup is best to use with a given area.

One also should ask how much material do you want to move by hand methods?

There is a use for both set ups just run some tests and make a decision for your self. No one set up will catch it all.

OP
OP
Reed Lukens

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't seen him post much in a long time... I've got his Multisluice and another of his mats that came in my Gold Fox Trommel. Then we also have a Gold Hog Sluice and a Raptor... but in Dan Hurds videos, he said it was the same as a Gold Cube, but in my opinion... it's doesn't compare to a Gold Cube at all.

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Didn’t gold hog previously market a stacked sluice like that? Seems like a fiddly thing to set up and clean out.

Hamfist

Aug 1, 2014
SoCal
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Whippet, 151, GH, shovel, brain
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I don’t want to lift every shovel of dirt 4-ish feet into the air and that 1100 gph bilge pump probably doesn’t like pushing water that high either. It has a spray bar that can clog, it’s definitely going to tip over, you need to paw at rocks to clear them off of the plate…. I’m not sure what this is really supposed to be. Dan Hurd appeared to struggle with it but then praised it highly. Confusing. maybe it’s aimed at new prospectors?

It doesn’t seem like Doc had anything to do with this. I like GH products and use them often, but I have this (hopefully baseless) nagging fear that I may need to stock up on Talon and Motherlode for future projects sooner than later. Hopefully that’s not the case.

Last edited:

AKSasquatch

Jul 17, 2021
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't like the looks of it. Looks like it was just made to compete with the Gold Cube in price and 12v running ability. May be slightly more packable. I think it would do well with coarser gold, but lose more fine flour gold than the Gold Cube with the vortex between sections. Haven't used either in person though. I do like my Piglet.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I commented on this in a previous thread, but it seems to have been
deleted.

Does not look stable, at all. I'd be terrified of knocking the whole kit and
caboodle over. Also, way too many wing nuts....which, for me, means
I'd have to bring an extra dozen along, 'cause I'd be sure to need them.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I commented on this in a previous thread, but it seems to have been
deleted.
Yeah. I started that thread and it disappeared a day or two later. I guess a moderater deleted it without any comment as to why(?)...that would have been appreciated.
Overall I think the unit fills a small niche between a cube and a conventional highbanker. As to efficiency, who knows? It has about 4 feet of Goldhog mat and reports are that they work well...the video shows that they did in the test.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yeah. I started that thread and it disappeared a day or two later. I guess a moderater deleted it without any comment as to why(?)...that would have been appreciated.
Overall I think the unit fills a small niche between a cube and a conventional highbanker. As to efficiency, who knows? It has about 4 feet of Goldhog mat and reports are that they work well...the video shows that they did in the test.
Now that is a different way of taking over a thread topic.
Agree on the factor that this unit can fill a spot niche.

Maybe add more water for the 4 ft. high lift?

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you raise the sluice higher one could add a 4 ft. or so rubber ribbed sluice mat. Just saying.

OP
OP
Reed Lukens

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw it in person yesterday, though we didn't have a chance to run it. I can't see how it can compare to a Gold Cube efficiency wise because basically it's a vertical sluice that you can shovel into, where a Gold Cube is a Gold Consentrator, so they have 2 completely different functions... We'll be putting the Boar Box thru it's paces next weekend and hopefully we'll have enough water to be able to run my 4" Proline/ Promac over/ under dredge. I took the Proline riffles out of it because a friend gave me a 4" Promac that he wan't using and I wanted a longer upper riffle section. So now it's got the Promac riffles and armor weave set up in the top section :laughing7:
I'll get pics and hopefully shoot another movie next weekend.

Attachments

• Claim 4 10 2004 013.jpg
    Claim 4 10 2004 013.jpg
    430.4 KB · Views: 33

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread