Gold Leaf in a Bottle...(Newbie Question)

THR214

Feb 18, 2013
New Jersey
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, my brother just came back from Walt Disney, he brought me back a bottle of Gold Leaf (or that is what I think it is called). The whole bottle is loaded with it, it is in some sort of liquid that smells almost like rubbing alcohol. He said he spoke to the store and they said it is 100% real gold and that it is just really really flattened out thin, almost looks like a single piece of gold around a dish or cup if it were peeled off. I didnt believe it was actually real gold, regardless of what they said, so I opened the bottle up and with tweezers i took the first leaf out and put it under a lighter, whatever liquid that gold is in, it is very flammable..lol, looked like a little fireball..lol. The edges just burnt away but the middle was still intact. So I went back in the bottle and took a couple of leaf pieces out and folded them all together and put them in a tissue to absorb all the liquid and then rolled it in a small rice like shape, held it in the tweezers and again, under a lighter. This time to my surprise, nothing, didn't burn, melt or anything. After about 30 seconds, it was still exactly the same.
Now, to the question, could this really be leaf gold? Real gold in this bottle? He paid a while 4.00 for it, now of course judging how thin it actually is, even though it is just loaded, and I know being so thin it really has basically no real weight to it, but still, is there a chance this is actually real gold? It has a picture of a prospector on it, and says real gold from Brazil.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL!!Yes,its real gold....about $1 worth if that....that is oil its in,and the biggest tourist scam there ever was....I have several gallons if ya want more(for sale)....store was going out of business and I bought it all for $20

OP
OP
T

THR214

Feb 18, 2013
New Jersey
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for that info, I know the value is not there, (We all know Disney will not lose money..lol) but still a very cool little bottle to own. Cool to know that it is real gold, and with the size and amount in the bottle, it really does look more than what it is. You realize that when you actually pull one of the leaves out of the bottle and feel that air is basically heavier than the actual leaf..lol. If I was there I would have cleaned them out..lol

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...yes,its an optical illusion.Somebody has got filthy rich,but millions have likely been sold so,people like them :icon_thumright:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I have worked with gold leaf papers and liquid. You can get either made from gold or from a synthetic material. Most now a days is not real gold. There is even a paint that is called 24KT gold which contains no gold. Frank

Cube.jpg

OP
OP
T

THR214

Feb 18, 2013
New Jersey
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
""Somebody has got filthy rich,but millions have likely been sold so""

I can 100% see and understand that...lol especially now days with alot of people out there having "Gold Fever" People (Rookies/Newbies) see gold magnified through oil for only 4.00 and BOOM..people buy it up!! Like I said..if I was there...not sure if control would have a factor in my decision making, even though I know it has to be pure B.S and in reality a waste of money, I think I would still have bought more than needed..lol. Hey, it's just the Fever taking over..lolol

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It is real gold and, as said above, very little amount. Did you know an ounce of gold can be rolled out to get a wire 60 miles long? Real gold can be and indeed is flattened to such a thin sheet, it is eaten on cake! TTC

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold Buddy drywasher, Black Magic, Pro Gold recirc, Custom highbanker/2.5" dredge, Roadrunner Member
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have heard that a matchbox sized amount of gold can be flattened out to cover a tennis court.

OP
OP
T

THR214

Feb 18, 2013
New Jersey
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, it's official, the gold leaf in the oil from Disney, is not gold!! I placed it in a tube and put it in heat. After about 45 seconds the "gold" leaf, was silver leaf..lol. I guess as Frankn stated, it's not the real thing, its fake! Just figured I would share, not that anybody is running buying this junk, but at least we know this bottle from Disney...is a fake!!

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, it's official, the gold leaf in the oil from Disney, is not gold!! I placed it in a tube and put it in heat. After about 45 seconds the "gold" leaf, was silver leaf..lol. I guess as Frankn stated, it's not the real thing, its fake! Just figured I would share, not that anybody is running buying this junk, but at least we know this bottle from Disney...is a fake!!
We live and learn. At least you told us. Some people buy lots of "fake" gold only to be so embarrassed that they cannot tell anyone. Tnx. TTC

OP
OP
T

THR214

Feb 18, 2013
New Jersey
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just figured that these boards are where alot of people come to learn (just as I did recently) and from what I see already, all the members share and help others as they can. Since I am a newbie, I don't have much knowledge to help or share, but since I played around with this, I did want to share the info. that I learned and maybe help another out therejust starting out, or others who actually do buy this type of stuff.
Thanks to all for the responses! These boards are a great way to learn alot about the T-hunt hobbies out there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread