Gold "?"nuggets"?"

Rasputin

Dec 11, 2008
Ho Hum Hollow, Georgia
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Re: Gold "?"nuggets"?"

It does look like bench scraps that have been melted and made into casting shot. I don't think that there is any convenient way to analyze it unless you melt it again into one homogenous mass and then test the karatage (is karatage even a word?) of the ingot.

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It appears to be gold "casting shot" used by jewellers to make "lost wax" cast jewellery. Many suppliers of jewelry supplies sell shot in a variety of karats.
Hard to tell what karat yours might be...could be a mixture of many different karats.

Best,
Scott

cdltpx

Jul 6, 2009
Galvez La 70769
Detector(s) used
ACE 250/2 coils BH 2 coils/ Garrett pinpointer.

You need a jewerler to answer this question my brother is one but he is computer retarded and so pig headed you could not get him to learn a jamm thing about them. If it were me I would figure the lot to be 10k then offer them that the weight calculated for 10K weight that way you will win. Acid test some of it if you can to make D sure it is indeed gold and not brazing or something that looks like gold. If you know the people are related to a deceased jewerler you are less likely to get screwed and could be closer to comfort.

cdltpx

Jul 6, 2009
Galvez La 70769
Detector(s) used
ACE 250/2 coils BH 2 coils/ Garrett pinpointer.

Did you ask them what they want for the gold?

cyberdan is the man find him on TN read his previous post he has the answers.He has already answered this question for you. The least expensive way is to get a gold testing kit basically acid testing. Jewerler supply stores can help you so can industrial chemical suppliers there are other sources you can buy digital units to test the testing materials require refrigeration and will expire keep this in mind when purchasing that if you do this do so to buy and test often.

SnakeEater

Oct 22, 2008
So Calif.
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Pulse Star 2, "Cachefinder" LRL, GPL

Now that sounds like a great way to scam someone... toss them a small sample of the real thing then give them the substitute when it counts.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

SnakeEater said:
Now that sounds like a great way to scam someone... toss them a small sample of the real thing then give them the substitute when it counts.
Yup, i'd have to test several samples on site in person, my choosing.

strickman

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2008
Villa Rica georgia
Detector(s) used
gold bug pro,garret,whites,tesoro,bounty-hunter,,.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

should have told him they were not for sale , I bet there would have been a different outcome . I think he was trying to swindle you . You can buy your own test kit ,cheap . Then you will know .

strickman

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2008
Villa Rica georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

not sure,could be very low k.

strickman

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2008
Villa Rica georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

looks like casting shot ,might be dental gold -

blai745

May 5, 2010
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

best of luck to you...I am actually a gold buyer for gold jewelry, coins, etc... But I give my clients usually 85% spot... If someone said they had 5 oz of gold for just $1000 I would be very cautious... becuase I would pay over $2100 for 5 oz of 10k..and this guy wants $1000??? If the seller knew it was gold he would just send it to a refiner...I think that would be best for you is to send it to a refiner like ARA refinery. :icon_thumleft:

btw nothing personal but your profile pic is kinda disturbing...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread