Gold or fools gold

Stormyrock

Dec 6, 2022
KY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So my question is gold or fools gold ? How do i tell.
20230305_121737.jpg
20230305_121752.jpg
20230305_121636.jpg
20230305_121602.jpg
20230305_121708.jpg

Upvote 1

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Crush and pan will give you a much better answer as far as gravity separational values goes.
There could be other minerals there as well.

OP
OP
Stormyrock

Stormyrock

Dec 6, 2022
KY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crush and pan will give you a much better answer as far as gravity separational values goes.
There could be other minerals there as well.
Thank you. I have no experience in gold at all. I thought gold wasn't around here cause I live in Kentucky. So I just been trying things to see if it's really gold. So far I have crushed some and we'll about what it looks like in the pictures. And it don't stick to a magnet. Any home remedies test you could recommend. And if it is gold what do I do with it??

Dave of WI

Greenie
Dec 14, 2020
Northern Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
GPX 6000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doesn't look like gold to me, hard to tell from the pictures, but gold isn't "shiny"
easiest test for this type of sample is to prick it with a safety pin or something similar.
If it breaks, it's not gold. Gold is very soft and malleable, it will just "dent"

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thank you. I have no experience in gold at all. I thought gold wasn't around here cause I live in Kentucky. So I just been trying things to see if it's really gold. So far I have crushed some and we'll about what it looks like in the pictures. And it don't stick to a magnet. Any home remedies test you could recommend. And if it is gold what do I do with it??
Color test in direct and shaded lighting....just block the light with your hand to shade the material.
Gold is the only element or mineral in nature that retains it's basic coloration, Gold, under both scenarios. If what you have does not look like gold when shaded then it is not.

Good luck.
PS It doesn't look like gold to me.

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Look at your ring or other gold jewelry you may have. Raw gold will look just like that. If it is flakey or brass colored, it is not gold. This does not look like gold

Coasty

Feb 2, 2010
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 505
Here is what real gold looks like. scratch what you found on copper if it is greenish, it is fool's gold.

Attachments

• gold.jpg
    gold.jpg
    265.1 KB · Views: 30

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread