Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow thats nice!!! Congrats I got one this year too. Its a thrill isn't it. Incredible man!! Great work. Im going with real deal.

trapperart

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2015
Maryland's eastern shore
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites MXTPro whites MXSport
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If I had to guess I would say not gold, high vdi and it looks like you can see some of the base metal. That said it's still a great find congrats

Wahoo

Jul 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It may not be real gold, but is a real find! Got your heart going didn't it ? lol Way better than rusty nails and pull tabs ! ��

park pirate

Gold Member
May 16, 2013
City of Rensselaer (upstate NY)
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800-Explorer SE -Sovereign-GT- -Whites 6000 Di pro SL-Specturm XLT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If that baby was ten inches deep and cleaned up that nice I would say real gold. I have found many plated gold items deep too, but you can see plating falling off,that's a sweet find for sure man congrats to yah....:occasion14:

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd be ordering a gold test kit.

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would suspect that the little iron pin in the hinge has rusted. I'd use a lot of care in getting it open, just in case.

Nice!

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like it was manufactured by the Hampden Watch Company. They made some very nice gold watches, but they also made gold filled watches as well. The company went belly up in 1930, so the watch is at least 87 years old.

My opinion is that it's real gold, but you'll have to get it it open or test it to be sure.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Trapperart hit it. Your machine told you what it was. Had it hit like a big old nickel then we would wonder if it were 10k or 14k.

OP
OP
Mintberrycrunch

Mintberrycrunch

Mar 13, 2016
Michigan
Detector(s) used
At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I held with the 10k acid. I wasn't sure if I might get a false reading of sorts Since gold filled has a lot more gold than just plated. I might just get the hammer and screwdriver out. I'm sure no value in the guts of this thing

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
no matter what, super awesome find! does seem pretty high for solid gold but I would still be stoked to find that baby!

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After inspecting your "cleaned" up picture of the back it appears there is wear visible and a "base" metal showing beneath the gold plating. If you look closely at the edges of the leaves and flowers you should see the discoloration as the gold is worn off from those higher spots. Not a professional opinion just an honest observation. That being said this is one heck of a cool find regardless of it's actual content. I'd certainly have it tested for sure. Nice diggin' there mate.:headbang:

Javadroid

Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A beautiful find and well worth your excitement! We are all anxious to hear more, so let us know! :icon_thumleft:

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Real gold or not, that is a very nice find! Congrats!

Also could be silver, and then gold filled. If that was the case, the plating would hold up very good underground. I found a few silver, gold plated jewelry.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Freebird is right! It's a Hampden watch co. movement.

The gold part? I don't think it is. I think it's gold filled based on the case look and design. But can't be 100% sure...It might even be a Dueber case. You won't know till you get it open. From looking at the pic, it's doesn't look hinged, The back should unscrew off.

Cool find!!!

Last edited:

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I held with the 10k acid. I wasn't sure if I might get a false reading of sorts Since gold filled has a lot more gold than just plated. I might just get the hammer and screwdriver out. I'm sure no value in the guts of this thing

NOOOOOOO!! That case might still be usable! Don't get the hammer out!!!

Gold filled will show as gold. You have to file into it to check. But that kind of ruins things unless done in a place that can't be seen.

If you can get it open. The case words and marks will tell for sure. It cleaned up way too nice to destroy. It could possibly even be a swing out. If you can take a pic of the side, maybe I or someone on the site can help you get it open. If the back screws off, you will see a seam, it will be small. There will also be one for the front bezel. if you only see one for the front bezel? It may be a "swingout", which I doubt , but is possible.

You could actually....Rebuild that to what it was if the front bezel isn't trashed. Movements are fairly cheap depending on what model is inside but you could put a lot of different ones in there. I have hundreds. or more.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mintberrycrunch

Mintberrycrunch

Mar 13, 2016
Michigan
Detector(s) used
At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got it. It's a bust but im still happy with it sure did make me wonder when it cleaned up so well

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 170
  • image.png
    image.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 124

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Surely you aren't serious about destroying your gold watch mate!:o:nono::protest::icon_pale::stop: Whew! That was a close call. Glad you got it open. That's the nicest looking dug watch I've ever seen. Mine are always bit's and pieces or rusty nasty looking.

Last edited:

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got it. It's a bust but im still happy with it sure did make me wonder when it cleaned up so well

You could put another Mc.Kinley movement in it(or other). ...If you wanted to take it that far.

Still a cool find, And if you don't keep your finds you could sell it on Ebay, someone will buy it for the Gold filled or for the case.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread