Gold ? Pyrite ? Something else ?

Veebee

Aug 11, 2017
Cameron park California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So me and my daughter found this stuff up in Northern California, and I've done various tests on it to see if it's real gold but some of them are inconclusive it's kind of flaky but when it flakes off the flakes are very bendable and it is luminous even when not in the sunlight ( the shiney stuff ) I also tried to cut it with a knife and the knife just made an indentation . IMG_1376.JPG

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Could not be mica. Mica would "break" under the knife. Mica is brittle. His post indicates it is malleable. ╦╦Ç

Upvote 0
OP
OP
V

Veebee

Aug 11, 2017
Cameron park California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol so later on I got out my hammer and I took a piece that looked like pyrite and smashed it then I took a piece of the more luminous material and all it did was flatten , whatever it is , it appears to be made of more than one material .

Upvote 0

P.ALLEN

Jun 8, 2017
A2 Michigan
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Tesoro Compadre, Ace 250, CMS magnetics, Garrett pinpointer, Fiskars trenching spade.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
try to cut along the cleavage of the stone

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Could not be mica. Mica would "break" under the knife. Mica is brittle. His post indicates it is malleable. ╦╦Ç

Actually thin sheets of mica can be bent a tiny bit, it's slightly elastic. Not so noticeable on thicker sheets.
I'd say this is mica.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread