Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2007
Burien, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Grey Ghost Headphones, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Howdy all,
Today on the way home from visiting friends I decided to squeeze in a hunt. I headed to the same baseball diamond that gave up my last gold ring. Like last time the targets were far and few between. I finally found a spot along the edge of the parking lot with a good amount of digable tones. Lotsa trash but a fair amount of clad mixed in. First good keeper was the silver ring. It was only an inch or so down and is pretty beat up. The band is broken as well, but silver is silver. Next good keeper came about 45 minutes later. I was almost back to the car and dug the little gold ring. It has 3 stones and is marked 14KP. I don't dig much plumb gold, but its always a nice surprise. I searched the last hour hoping to find the match to the gold ring but no dice. This is my 4Th gold ring this year. Looks like a good start to me, and I haven't even started water hunting yet. Thanks for looking and luck in the hunt.
:icon_pirat:
JuJu

Attachments

• DSCN0881.JPG
    DSCN0881.JPG
    168 KB · Views: 1,198
  • DSCN0880.JPG
    DSCN0880.JPG
    172.4 KB · Views: 1,194
  • RSCN0885.JPG
    RSCN0885.JPG
    79.9 KB · Views: 1,191
  • RSCN0887.JPG
    RSCN0887.JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 1,200
  • RSCN0889.JPG
    RSCN0889.JPG
    78.8 KB · Views: 1,196
  • RSCN0891.JPG
    RSCN0891.JPG
    66.6 KB · Views: 1,204
Upvote 0
Silver Surfer said:
Hope I am not being a pain, but is it grass alongside a sidewalk, or just grass in front of the parking lot leading to a field?
I only ask because the BB fields around here have huge grass/gravel parking lots (packed like cement), and then there are the grass areas just outside the fenced fields... I guess it would pay to go watch during games to see the traffic patterns.. I have done okay in the grass strips that lead to the bathrooms/concessions, but only on clad and millions of tabs..
But why the rings I wonder? Do people put them in their pockets and accidentally pull them out whilst getting their keys??

I need to work the BB fields more.. Unfortunately, my fields are less than a decade old, some only a few years..
These fields are young as well. The parking lots are concrete, and have a sidewalk ringing them. The baseball field butts up against the sidewalk. People leaving the bleachers and other parts of the field all have to cross the grass to reach their cars. I guess they lose the rings when they reach into their pockets. Just my theory. And no youre not bein a pain. A closed mouth don't get fed. :laughing7:
JuJu

Silver Surfer said:
What mode do you use then, Relic?
I think I know what you mean, the slight, but solid beep interupted by the static of iron being discriminated out?
Still learning, and I have no doubt that without the advice or all you fine members, my finds would be less than half of what they are..
I am finding that the Black Widows are allowing me to hear a lot more of those subtle beeps amongst the many chattery Iron sounds...
I always use the Jewelry/Coin mode.. I also find all of my gold, or most of it I should say, in the 10+ VDI and lower.. Most show as foil..
I also use coin and jewelry mode. And yes that is the iron bounce I am talkin about. And it is rare like you say for gold to hit much hight than 10 or 12. The comon misconception is that gold hits llike a pulltab or nickel. This is only the case for big gold rings or really large pendants.

JuJu

Kimsdad said:
Congrats on the great finds, JuJu!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :icon_king:

You boys up in the Pac NW are killing this winter!

Green grass hunting in Feb. Nice!

I've had only 2 hunts so far due to the weather, and the last one was waaay back on Jan 16. Just too much snow on the ground to swing. I'm about going out of my mind! Keep showing us the good stuff!
Hope it clears up for you soon KD. We have had a great winter so far. Odd but great. No snow at all and hardly any rain.
JuJu

Nate!! You are the ring man! Great finds as always! How's the weather holding up there? Is it better than last year's winter?

Ray

Ray in CA said:
Nate!! You are the ring man! Great finds as always! How's the weather holding up there? Is it better than last year's winter?

Ray
Way better than last year. I don't remember a winter this mild ever. Its perfect for hunting, and easy diggin.
JuJu

Don't sell that ring for melt.... :o About $600 in Ice. :headbang: Great finds.... :hello2:

Keep @ it and HH !! :D ;D

JuJu said:
DMN said:
Your ear must be so tuned to those pull-tab signals! Either that or you leave a wake of plowing to find the stuff you do. Another set of great finds. Keep them coming! BTW, what type of rig do you use--coil, etc?
I use a Whites MXT E-Series, with a 950 coil. I dig any repeatably tone that has no iron bounce. Those that use MXT's will know what I mean. I also use a Garrett Pro-Pointer, and Lesche Digger. I concenrate hard on the appearance of my plugs and so you can't tell I was even there. A lot of my targets can be probed with a screwdriver at or near the surface. Thats where the propointer is invaluable. I could go on forever talkin about this. lol And last but not least. Most gold does not sound like a pulltab. It hits much lower. Because of this most detectorist skip the tones. I find more gold than silver because most hunters cream the high tones. Hope this answers your interest.

Juju:

Thank you for the reply. Since I rarely ever find gold it is tough to get that discrimination in my head. I should be doing what others do and take my rings and coins and run a quick test to get the separation in my head. I would guess the Garrett can tone deep right from the surface, correct? I am thinking I should get one of those. I know what you mean about digging...like most people here, I try to make it look like I never was there, including when I dig in the woods. Just doesn't seem right to leave spots messy. Certainly not considerate for others who just come to those places for the visual enjoyment. Thanks for your advice.

Juju back on a tear !! Beautiful rings !! I know you work for them though ! Which means you deserve them !!! :coffee2: MaineRelic.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back