GOLD RUSH ERA SHOVEL AND MORE

mariposagold

Bronze Member
May 1, 2012
Mariposa, California. USA
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro, Classic SL, Bullseye II Probe, Garrett Groundhog.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ON Feb 9, 2014, I posted a padlock which is circa 1845-1875. http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/399687-19th-century-vintage-padlock.html So naturally, I went back for subsequent hunts hoping for something awesome, like Silver or Gold.

I did a lot of hunting and covered far and wide. I pulled 3 ax heads from that same area as the padlock , they are at 12, 1, and 5 O'clock in the picture. The others are part of my ever expanding collection of tools.

At the far end of the hunting grounds, I dug a Gold Rush era shovel, quite to my surprise. I'm going to take it by the Gold Rush Museum tomorrow to confirm, but I'm pretty dang sure it is. Here is one listed on eBay found in a totally different area. Real California Gold Rush 1848 1851 Coloma CA OLD Shovel Relic A | eBay

PICT2360.JPG PICT2361.JPG

PICT2362.JPG PICT2364.JPG

Take wild guess where I will be this weekend?

Thanks for sharing the thrill with me.

MariposaGold

Upvote 7

Sawyer

Jan 25, 2013
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Exterra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you are not the first one to dig in that area! Keep finding good stuff, when you are at the museum, you could donate it! The next generation might like to see it!

pl8man

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
San Jose , California
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT PRO with Sunray probe, M6 with a Super 12 coil & a Whites Quantum II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet relics !

andre1002

Jan 11, 2013
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Lone Star/Whites MXT/Minelab e-trac/Garrett PP/sunray X-1 inline probe.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
that site definitely has potential. I just wish I woulda found more than just 2 Wheaties.. lol . I am silver spoiled. That is a real cool shovel!

OP
OP
M

mariposagold

Bronze Member
May 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm willing to bet on silver in that area. I'm thinking it's real deep if it's there. It's a large area, so it's gonna have a lot more hunts left in it before we are done. You're just gonna have to plan on another trip to Gold Country and help me find it. There is no shame in finding it before I do. You always find more silver anyway.

Mark my words, Silver will come from that spot, and possible gold. I'm glad you at least got some coins, a 41 and 56 wheatie is a nice find in my book.

MariposaGold.

caprock

Aug 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Mariposa,
Take a look at the Autrey Museum of Western Heritage website. There is a miner in an 1850s dag. holding a shovel like the one you found.
Happy Huntin'

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Oh boy - WOW! :hello2: :blob9: :hello2: Now I can't wait til you guys post finds from your next dig there! :laughing7: Since it's a big area, I hope some debris will clue you in to where they had their shack because I have a hunch that's one of the places you'll find silver or gold. Easy to have hunch just sitting at my computer :tongue3: . HAVE FUN! Andi

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice relics, which are all pointing the way to the silver and gold! Keep following the relic trail! GL. HH

Sobo

Apr 29, 2011
Detector(s) used
Ctx 3030, Omega 8500, AT Pro, Ace 150, Explorer XS, Explorer SE / Sunray Probe, Bounter Hunter Land Ranger Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mmmm yum, rusty gold! Awesome relics, HH

winslow

Oct 30, 2004
Oregon, No Cal Border
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Max, Equinox 800
I didn't realize that a gold rush shovel had any value. Is that part of a stove leg at bottom left? Thanks for sharing. I love these kinds of finds.

mirage83

Dec 20, 2009
NW Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, XLT
Nice recoveries you got there. Between the lot of them you've got the start of a good period collection of artifacts.

OP
OP
M

mariposagold

Bronze Member
May 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't realize that a gold rush shovel had any value. Is that part of a stove leg at bottom left? Thanks for sharing. I love these kinds of finds.

Oh, the value of most relics is minimal compared to the value I have for them and the value they would have as part of a display at a museum. I just love finding this stuff. The price of the one on eBay isn't even close to making me want to sell it.

Yes, that looks like a leg to a potbellied stove. Kewl. It's doesn't always have to be valuable to be and awesome find.

Thanks for sharing the Excitement.

HH
MariposaGold

OP
OP
M

mariposagold

Bronze Member
May 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you are not the first one to dig in that area! Keep finding good stuff, when you are at the museum, you could donate it! The next generation might like to see it!

I would actually enjoy that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread