Gold to Start 2013!

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Because of the kind of hunting I do I don't find much gold so it's always a welcome treat to see the yellow glow in the hole! The ground is frozen under about 6 inches of snow so my detecting is limited to the beaches. Luckily these beaches have been inhabited since 1604 so there's always a shot at something good. I've found marked cannonballs and military buttons in this area in the past but today I tried a spot I hadn't touched before. Not many targets that weren't iron...in fact this gold ring was the only decent target. It was found at the low water line at the end of the wharf so I'm thinking a not so good break-up! :laughing7:

There's always a chance at a decent bottle in this area and today didn't disappoint. It's a late 1800s local pharmacy bottle. It reads "Taylor's Drug and Prescription Store Halifax N.S."...with a really cool lion motif. One for the shelf!

Attachments

• 8r4qgc.jpg
    8r4qgc.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 208
  • jd7tl.jpg
    jd7tl.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 250
  • 7qgqb.jpg
    7qgqb.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 216
Upvote 1

Fix

Oct 17, 2012
Southern California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign XS-2a Pro with a 15 inch DD WOT coil.
Deeptech Vista Gold.
AT Max.
Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sweet bottle Romeo! Congrats! Nice ring too. You might be right about someone tossing it away.

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well do there Romeo-1, that is a really good start to the year, you just never know where you will find gold at. Can you post up a pic of the ring cleaned up. Nice bottle too.
I have been itching to get out again but man has the weather been cold lately. I will attempt another outing soon I hope.
Dave

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well do there Romeo-1, that is a really good start to the year, you just never know where you will find gold at. Can you post up a pic of the ring cleaned up. Nice bottle too.
I have been itching to get out again but man has the weather been cold lately. I will attempt another outing soon I hope.
Dave

Not much to see Dave...plain gold wedding band stamped 14k CMC. Truth be told I'm happier with the bottle!

Any tips on removing mud stain from inside?

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love the bottle and gold to boot is outstanding. I visited Halifax in 1996 and had a blast. Fun and historic place. I remember seeing the Titanic graves there.

pl8man

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
San Jose , California
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT PRO with Sunray probe, M6 with a Super 12 coil & a Whites Quantum II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet gold !

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not much to see Dave...plain gold wedding band stamped 14k CMC. Truth be told I'm happier with the bottle!

Any tips on removing mud stain from inside?
The safe and easy way is by soaking it in white vinegar for about a weak and then washing it out with tap water and using a straightened coat hanger with the very tip bent at 90* and a small piece of scotch-brite pad to scrub the inside. The fast and more risky method is to soak it in Muriatic acid (to be done outside) for a few hours and then a really good rinsing.
Let me know if you need a hand with it, I have all the gear here for cleaning up bottles.
Dave

Last edited:
OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The safe and easy way is by soaking it in white vinegar for about a weak and then washing it out with tap water and using a straightened coat hanger with the very tip bent at 90* and a small piece of scotch-brite pad to scrub the inside. The fast and more risky method is to soak it in Muriatic acid (to be done outside) for a few hours and then a really good rinsing.
Let me know if you need a hand with it, I have all the gear here for cleaning up bottles.
Dave

Thanks...I'll go with vinegar...soaking now!

TreasurDiggrNY

Dec 11, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the gold start and neat bottle8-) Nice to be close to the beach when the ground freezes:thumbsup:

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool finds and I really like the shore line shot, Pretty country.............HH

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You must have me beat for gold... only 3 here. So if anyone knows how tough it is to dig at the old sites I do!

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You must have me beat for gold... only 3 here. So if anyone knows how tough it is to dig at the old sites I do!

4 for me. 3 rings and the coin. Rings have gone buy buy but the coin stays.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
4 for me. 3 rings and the coin. Rings have gone buy buy but the coin stays.

I still have mine, because of the age I consider them as much relics as jewelry. For as many targets as we have all dug from the old sites there sure isn't much gold to be found. Then again, we're not finding too many wallets with $500 (or more) in them.

deepseeker3

Feb 6, 2010
Green Bay, WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Zodiacdiverdave said:
Dave

GREAT info. I have a smaller one that is cloudy inside and I filled it with vinegar and corked it over a year ago. Still cloudy - I will tri the steel wool idea.

Thanks!

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GREAT info. I have a smaller one that is cloudy inside and I filled it with vinegar and corked it over a year ago. Still cloudy - I will tri the steel wool idea.

Thanks!
Some times the glass has become etched and nothing will clean it up. Don't go with steel wool but rather a green scotch brite pad. if you can't get it all out then you may want to try the muriatic acid method. Do this out side and with eye protection and rubber gloves. The acid can be purchased at most building supply stores. It is used for cleaning bricks and cement.
I would love to see it when it is cleaned up.
ZDD

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread