Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I took a trip up to NH last week looking for gold and came up with a bunch of Garnets, the biggest was 3.8 carats (rough as found)

I need to figure out how to polish them up, do you tumble them or what? In the third picture are 3 pieces of what appear to be Pyrite

GarnetsWildwood1.jpg

GarnetsWildwood3.jpg

GarnetsWildwood5.jpg

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice grab man,i do some panning up in NH when i can get up there.My brother lives there in the white mountains.

Upvote 0

StoneWhisper

Apr 16, 2010
Annapolis Junction, Maryland
Primary Interest:
Other
Garnets arte very hard to tumble polish.. and I've yet to successfully attempt this.. However.. After looking at your images.. I feel you have more then just garnets.. Posiable a few Star or regular sapphires and yes Sapps can come ina veristy of colors and can be located in or around your finds.. and the hardness isn't off my much and could be tumbled together.. But seems the chips are a bit small.. and you might waste your time.. I also have small coffee cans of these and to me there are just to small for polishing.. GL with your efforts.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
Garnets arte very hard to tumble polish.. and I've yet to successfully attempt this.. However.. After looking at your images.. I feel you have more then just garnets.. Posiable a few Star or regular sapphires and yes Sapps can come ina veristy of colors and can be located in or around your finds.. and the hardness isn't off my much and could be tumbled together.. But seems the chips are a bit small.. and you might waste your time.. I also have small coffee cans of these and to me there are just to small for polishing.. GL with your efforts.
WOW, being new to this my middle son had said he found garnets in the Lost River where we went so I assumed they were garnets. Imagine if they were Sapphires, that sounds so exotic! Are sapphires worth anything, I mean I have heard of sapphire gems.
There is a treasure show this weekend in Taunton MA and I will take them with me to ask questions!! Which ones look like they could be the sapphires?

Upvote 0

StoneWhisper

Apr 16, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
Granted the granets are the redish brown color and most are chips.. you do have a few larger chips which you could try to tum,ble.. the ones that appear to be star sapphires or the regular sapphire (and star ruby) are in the third pic.. (top right) small grouping of staones appearing darker than the small chip garnets in the first two images.. Also you have a mica/matrax combo in the lower left of the third image.. You've done very well.. and never underestemate that all you'll find while out hunting is but one type of stones, you will undoubtedly end up with many differant types of stones.

As for worth.. again.. this grouping seems small and worth what you've put into it.. Assuming one of the sapphires is approx the size of your thumb nail.. and if you had it facited.. your prob looking at or about $5,000 but again it all depends on who cut the stones.. its clearity etc.. One thing I tell all those intent on doing this for money.. needs to realize that what soemthing is "valued" is not nessareyly what soem one is willing to pay for it.. I say ($5,000) sace we found a rough sapphire a few years back.. had it cut cost $85 and three months later we got it in the mail.. with a certificate indecating it's value..

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You can either tumble them or have them cabochon cut. (if they are not to small)
Can't see any pics, though?

Upvote 0

StoneWhisper

Apr 16, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
Follow Up: The penny did help to size the overall find.. and again.. many of your finds are to small.. In this case I would construct a "Gem Tree" using the small stones. Locate a large natural formed wood or back.. or even a large stones.. Copper strands or wire and twist the strands into a bunch.. then bend both ends out (one for the limbs and the others for the roots) glue the roots tot he bark/stoens etc and then glue the small chips to each of the limbs.. I've done this several times and have sold my Gem trees for $35.00

Upvote 0

StoneWhisper

Apr 16, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
As Requested..

I went to the jewelry store yesterday and asked if I could see the gem tree I made for them.. It was placed in a display case right in fornt of the store.. Thou the trunk was bent over and a few limbs drooping.. I was able to correct the damage and took this images for you Ben.. Hope this inspires you to be and do something creative.
100_1557.JPG

Image Above: made in late 2006, This Gem tree was my first attpemt at doing soemthing more usefull with the many chips I had left over.. Using Copper Wire and a large river rock.. I simply wrapped the copper wire into a bundle and glued it to the rock. The bending out each limb, I created small "loops" to support the small chips of each limb..​

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread